Story Three Lions on the Shirt? - Match Day: Northamptonshire fight back!!!

When will Tom Baker get his England call up?

• Total voters
Apologies for not updating this when I said I would. I've been in hospital the last couple of days (full details in leaving/back thread) I'll endevaour to update as soon as possible :)

tommy mate dont really know whats going on as I have been away from PC for a while,

76 pages is amazing and if you could analyse since when you quit all that time ago can you please do it in about 50 words :)

hahaha cos I cannot be bothered to read 30 pages of a cricket story about a game on a forum.

If he tells me then I can follow gradually

Just do what I did and gradually read and catch up, there is only about 1 update per page thats how popular the story is

Suggestion tom... how about a wotton or a god reference lol in the next update

Just do what I did and gradually read and catch up, there is only about 1 update per page thats how popular the story is

Suggestion tom... how about a wotton or a god reference lol in the next update

Thank you. I think we have found our new batting coach :p

tommy mate dont really know whats going on as I have been away from PC for a while,

76 pages is amazing and if you could analyse since when you quit all that time ago can you please do it in about 50 words :)

Why don't you read it :p

Actually this applies to everyone who has missed parts. I have been updating the 1st post as I go along so check it out, if you want to catch up or relive certain parts :)

Now I would update this but I can't access photobucket. If you can help please check my thread in the Comp & Tech Forum :)

Warwickshire vs Glamorgan

The day after the team sheet was put up, I spent most of my time in the gym working on my cardio. I was joined by Tom Maynard, who was also not playing tomorrow and we spent most of the morning rotating between, working out and swimming. For the afternoon, I spent my time talking to the batting coach Ian Wotton (;)) Ian Wotton was widely respected in the club and had made the move from the Southern Sharks, in Australia, to Glamorgan to start his coaching career. I had been struggling with the ball that swung late, and we worked on getting my body behind the ball. It appeared to work and by the end of the afternoon my batting felt pretty damn good.

I had a good sleep that night and woke up the next morning ready to go and watch a great match against Warwickshire. I was still pretty chirpy, even though I was twelth man, and was giving a lot of banter at Crofty and Skip. It seemed the senior players always got the abuse. I noticed Cooky had settled in really well at Glamorgan. It was not too long of a trip to Edgbaston and we soon arrived with plenty of time for the lads to warm up. I was pretty much the handy man of the team and spent the warm up just helping to get everything ready.

To save the pain of having to describe the match in too much depth, I'll keep it short and sweet. We were absolutely hammered. Warwickshire batted first and posted a decent total. We were always behind after that and our batting really let us down. Eventually we lost our last wicket on the afternoon of Day 4. We had been beaten by 156 runs :( There was obviously still a lot of work to be done with the team.

Cricket20052008-07-1517-23-59-93.jpg

There were some positives to be taken from the match. Dimiy bowled really well, picking up 7 wickets in the match and skip made a century. However, too many of the batsmen made starts and failed to capitalise. On the coach journey back, things were rather quiet and when we pulled into Sophia Gardens, we were spoken to by the coach,

"Right guys. First let's look at the positives. I was extremely proud of every single member of this team's attitude throughout that match. You all kept battling even when things didn't look too good and it was very pleasing to see. Our bowling was decent, but guys, too many of you made starts with the bat and failed to capitalise. The team for the Pro45 match vs Lancashire will look very different. Now, you are all free to go. David if you'll stay behind for a word."

Everyone slowly said there goodbye's and headed off back home. I got a lift back with Gemma and I was pleased to see that she was settling in well at her new hospital.

Later that evening I switched on Sky Sports, to watch "Around the Grounds" it would be interesting to see how everyone else had started this season.....

sky-sports-2.jpg

Bob Willis said:
Welcome to Sky Sports review of this week's County Cricket on, "Around the Grounds" I am your host Bob Willis and for this show we are going to be hopping all over the country. It is only the first week of the season and already we have had some crackers. Let's take a look.

Our first match for today's show, was a Championship clash between Glamorgan and Warwickshire at Edgbaston. Glamorgan are under new ownership for this season and have a very impressive squad. In previous years Glamorgan have been considered a bit of a push over. Unfortunately they did not get this season off to the best of starts, with a crushing 156 run defeat. Warwickshire outplayed them and deserved the win.

Cricket20052008-07-1517-23-59-93.jpg

Surrey were playing host to Sussex, a cracking contest up there with Lancashire vs Yorkshire. There is very little to seperate the two teams and it showed with the first three innings having very little to seperate them. However a Sussex second innings collapse, left them from 101/0 to 206 All Out, leaving them 47 runs short.

Cricket20052008-07-1517-25-25-55.jpg

Derbyshire and Worcester are two teams who never really seem to do match. However, the match at Derby was full of flare. A Michael Di Venuto double century off just 180 balls really kept the few spectators on the edge of their seats, with 5 sixes and 15 fours :eek: That knock proved to be the difference between the two sides with Derbyshire winning by 136 runs. The Worcester bowlers just had no answer to Di Venuto.

Cricket20052008-07-1517-25-31-53.jpg

You would have thought that Leicstershire would be struggling against Durham, but in a rain affetced match, the Foxes were able to play the game into the ground with some very defensive batting. The Durham bowlers were constantly struggling to make a breakthrough and this was shown by Collingwood being the main wicket taker for them. Onions also did well, is there a chance of an England call up for the young man? Collingwood, failed with the bat once again and his chances of re-gaining his spot in the Enland team appear to be fading.

Cricket20052008-07-1517-25-37-34.jpg

Graham Napier once again, kept the crowd entertained, in the match against Yorkshire. Coming in at number 4 in both innings he proceeded to hit the ball all over the park, and lost the ball countless times, with the match having to be halted for half an hour as the umpires ran out of balls!!!! :eek: he also bowled a good line and length and finished with match figures of 4-87. Yorskhire batted extremely well but maybe a tad to slow. They were eventually dismissed for 500, but by then there was no chance of a result from this match.

Cricket20052008-07-1517-25-47-35.jpg

Up at Lancs, Somerset were given a sound thrashing in a very one sided affair. Lancashire dominated from the first over, with Tresco and Langer both being dismissed for first ball ducks. Critics did say the pitch did look under-prepared but in my opinion, we need more pitches like this to keep the 4 Day game entertaining. The weather was also an important factor, with Somerset getting very unlucky when batting as it was always cloudy and yet when they bowled the sun came out. Perhaps those Lancashire fans have finally worked out how to control the seasons ;)

Cricket20052008-07-1517-25-53-55.jpg

Well that is all from me. I hope you will be bale to join me next week. Good bye.

That had been nice to see how everyone else had started. Everyone was talking about Graham Napier. I was hoping this lad would not be fighting with me for a place in the England squad. I soon switched of the TV and went upstairs. Gemma was already asleep as she had to get up at 6. I tried to get into bed as quietly as I could but I brushed her slightly and got a kick for my troubles. Nice to know your appreciated :rolleyes: :p

Last edited:
Great start Tom, made a great mark! You played very well as did your team! :p. But seriously very nice write-up, i'm liking that you do write-ups of all the other games aswell.

A sound beating from Warks there! But im sure things will change when your back in the team! Hope your picked for Lancs match!! :)

Users who are viewing this thread