Tips For DBC 17 Batting

Snowy

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
Australia
The language barrier here is too high for any meaningful discussion. You're just making no sense.

inertSpark

Associate Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
  4. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
I will post the evidence to enquires at big ant.com

No no. You have no way of knowing that people who don't see things your way are exploiting loopholes or do not want balanced gameplay. You are basically saying that that your thoughts are the only way to think. That's bullshit. So then why are you here?

Rob Stanworth

Club Captain
Is there a guide to pitches and what they are good for? Ie, i know in real life that a green pitch and cloudy overhead would usually be helpful to swing bowling, but how does the game interpret different pitch conditions (given there's no clouds, ever!)

I'm a fast medium bowler/opening bat in my career, so which pitches should i mainly bowl cutters on/which pitches should i mainly bowl swing on? And when batting, which pitches can I consider to be a road and which do I need to be more careful on?

grkrama

National Board President
which pitches can I consider to be a road and which do I need to be more careful on?

From my experience DRY, pristine would be road, but generally for batting dry and dusty hard pitches are the best roads, even green hard once you see off the new ball is pretty good for batting, all the soft pitches warrant caution and more so when with cracks and wear. Also pace bowlers normal deliveries are very easy to hit in dusty.

EnigmaticZee

Club Captain
Profile Flag
Australia
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
@kushal17 , Do share the tips mate. I am struggling against all bowlers. Every time I sweep to spinners I get edged or bowled and I every time I try to play shot to pacers my bat is just isn't close to bat. Please share the tips

Skankhunt 42

Banned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Well, here are my findings:
1. Regardless of pitches, your first 10 runs are crucial to get. In t20s, just stick to the basics for atleast 6-7 deliveries. Atleast raise your confidence meter by 10% before cutting loose. Else, your timing and footwork will be awful.
2. All soft pitches are difficult to bat on. In whites, batting last is horrible. I had scored 21 of 69 before being bamboozled. In t20s, i only try to maintain a run a ball approach.
3. Quite surprisingly, i found all green decks are quite easy to bat on. I did adjusted edge couple of times but that's on me.
4. Spinners are indeed a challenge. I've tried whacking them from the get go, also tried defending heavily, but they are painful. What i found is, playing aggressive grounded shots to them often comes handy. Else, just a flicker through leg. Anything on the offside, i either defend or leave. Sometimes, i execute a precision shot for a sneaky single.
5. Hard surfaces are bouncy. One wrong timing can send you packing. I always approach the pacers on the backfoot here, mostly. My favourite area is over the mid off and straight. Spinners even bounce the balls rather higher here. I tend to negotiate them with basic grounded stroke with front foot. I can't play cut shot. All the time i tried and failed. My gentle nudges always end up fielded by the third man (deep), deep cover and fly slip.
6. Dusty pitches behaves most noticeable way. I simply don't get it. Once, batting first here was easy. While chasing, it gave stiff challenge. Run rate drops, deliveries became stocky and slowish. I often struggled with timing. But in another match, batting 2nd was seemingly easy too. Couldn't quite understand the deal here.

Last edited:

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
@EnigmaticZee @grkrama @funnyadit

This is my experience-

First of all, you really need to watch the pitch report. From what I've seen, if it's decking around or has heavy cracks then it's better to start your innings with 1's and 2's. Blocking and running is a good way to get your innings going. From what I've seen, R1 with good footwork and running gets you risk free runs. I adopt this strategy when I near a hundred or there is a lot of quick wickets. What I was most impressed about the game was how you are able to take more risks with stroke play as a 'partnership' develops. I noticed this quite a lot. There were a few times I was too anxious to play shots once I got to 50. The secret is that your STRIKING power relies a LOT on your strengths and weaknesses. This is not a game where you are going to tonk six boundaries or sixes in an over, no matter what level you play. You have to balance your play. This is the mental side. Now, these are a few tricks I saw-

1) Spinners always got me out while driving. WHY? It wasn't a bug. I had my batsman rating up to 70 and yet I kept getting out when I tried driving! Why? Because on my skillset my drive was my weakness. So, I started pumping some skill points in the 'driving' section. While the dismissals reduced, I still found myself nicking off. So, I changed my guard. I started covering my stumps and instead of playing away from the body, I started playing balls even on mid or off stump onto the on side. You need to really put a lot of your skill points on the 'glance.' Also, 'special shots' and sweeps work a treat based on 'fields.' I have reserved special shots only for T20 and ODI's. Don't try to tonk the spinner downtown in tests unless you're 100+. You might get a couple of boundaries, but repeated attacking shots will lead to a dismissal.

2) I find really fast bowling the easiest to play. I DO NOT cut or pull because it's a lottery. In T20's you have to take it on, but I totally avoid those two shots in tests. For really quick bowlers I use R2+L2 for risk free boundaries and totally avoid the L2 option. Again, your own skill set and understanding of it is GOLD. I also noticed that 'defence' needs to be topped up as a skill as importantly as any of the other 3.

Langeveldt

Panel of Selectors
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  4. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
So how do you drive a spinner without being miraculously caught by a reflex catch in the slips or nicking to the keeper? I don't see why the game should only allow you to play a leg glance as your only scoring shot. Any tips? Should I only be driving yellow deliveries?

gunit123

County Cricketer
So how do you drive a spinner without being miraculously caught by a reflex catch in the slips or nicking to the keeper? I don't see why the game should only allow you to play a leg glance as your only scoring shot. Any tips? Should I only be driving yellow deliveries?

Having come back to the game recently after a few months, I realised just how frustrating the above is and one of the reasons why I stopped playing. I'm hoping that playing offside is not a lottery as to whether you get a nick behind with 'ideal' timing across the board after the patch.

Users who are viewing this thread