Top 100 in ODI history - 2: Tendulkar, 1: Richards

Fenil

PC Cricket Leagues Legend
I'll present a list of best 25 players of all time according to me.

1) Sachin Tendulkar
2) Viv Richards
3) Wasim Akram
4) Shane Warne
5) Glenn McGrath
6) Sanath Jayasuriya
7) Muralitharan
8) Waqar Younis
9) Ricky Ponting
10) Brian Lara
11) Inzamam ul Haq
12) Rahul Dravid
13) MS Dhoni
14) Michael Bevan
15) Adam Gilchrist
16) Anil Kumble
17) Shaun Pollock
18) Allan Donald
18) Saeed Anwar
19) Lance Klusener
20) Gary Kirsten
21) Chaminda Vaas
22) Joel Garner
23) Dennis Lilee
24) Zaheer Abbas
25) Curtley Ambrose

Gaurav_7

Executive member
CSK
RR
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Mine top 4 would be very similar to what Fenil has posted. But, I'll have Sachin and Sir Viv tied for the first spot. I just cannot separate them. Will try and post my top (whatever) soon.

----------

Make it top 5.

Fenil

PC Cricket Leagues Legend
Just for reference, here is the list of top 10 batsmen and bowlers in world released by Wisden back in January 2003.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
OK...hope everyone is working away feverishly on their lists :D

I finished my top 100 last night - pretty happy with it. Although I've found I'm kinda valuing the current players a bit less than perhaps I could. I guess I don't like hyping guys who could turn out to be pretty average in the long run. Plus, I find the older guys to be more interesting because I don't really know them as well.

Anyway the plan is this...When I've got more time tonight I'll update the first post with the current status. As it stands, I've got 84 guys who've been nominated more than once for a top 100 spot, and I've got 34 guys who are 'on the bubble' after being chosen only once. What I'll do is post those 34 guys, and if you haven't rated them yet - you can put them in order 1-34, or you can simply put a yay or nay next to each name as to whether they are worthy of a top 100 spot. Need 16 yays and 18 nays if you do it that way.

swacker

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Had a bit of thinking about players, came up with this.

#01 Gordon Greenidge
#03 Desmond Haynes
#04 Sachin Tendulkar
#05 Damien Martyn
#06 David Gower
#07 Hashim Amla
#08 Mark Waugh
#09 Saleem Malik
#10 Mike Hussey
#11 Adam Gilchrist
#12 MS Dhoni
#13 Clive Lloyd
#14 Shaun Pollock
#15 Terry Alderman
#16 Chaminda Vaas
#17 Jacques Kallis
#18 Harbhajan Singh
#19 Craig McDermott
#20 Shane Bond

a) an ODI draft thread - drafts are great and it's been a couple of years since the last ODI one, or maybe

Bring it on please.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
^^Good start old mate. If you have any more thoughts you can always add to/edit your list :) I like that you've chosen some of the lesser lights - Gower, Martyn, Alderman - good players :thumbs

And yeah, a draft - might get to one. :yes I was thinking of of doing a T20 one before the World Cup starts later in the year, but yeah if a few people are quite keen to do a different one, then maybe something can happen.

UPDATE: with the votes received I now have 50 guys who are pretty well established in the top 100 (now listed in the first post). Now we've just got to pick another 50 to join. I've got 69 names, each have received at least one vote for a top 100 spot.

69 'on the bubble' players...
35 Batsmen (ordered by nation & surname)
David Boon
Allan Border
Greg Chappell
Michael Clarke
Geoff Marsh
Damien Martyn
Andrew Symonds
Shane Watson
Steve Waugh
Graham Gooch
David Gower
Graeme Hick
Nick Knight
Marcus Trescothick
Gautam Gambhir
Ajay Jadeja
Virat Kohli
Navjot Sidhu
Martin Crowe
Javed Miandad
Mohammad Yousuf
Salim Malik
Shahid Afridi
Hansie Cronje
AB De Villiers
Herschelle Gibbs
Jonty Rhodes
Graeme Smith
Marvan Atapattu
Arjuna Ranatunga
Kumar Sangakkara
Shiv Chanderpaul
Carl Hooper
Ramnaresh Sarwan
Andy Flower

34 Bowlers (ordered by nation & surname)
Terry Alderman
Nathan Bracken
Damien Fleming
Jason Gillespie
Brad Hogg
Mitchell Johnson
Dennis Lillee
Abdur Razzaq
Shakib Al Hasan
Ian Botham
Stuart Broad
Andrew Flintoff
Graeme Swann
Bob Willis
Ajit Agarkar
Kapil Dev
Irfan Pathan
Harbhajan Singh
Javagal Srinath
Ewan Chatfield
Gavin Larsen
Kyle Mills
Danny Morrison
Daniel Vettori
Abdul Qadir
Imran Khan
Saeed Ajmal
Safraz Nawaz
Shoaib Akhtar
Umar Gul
Makhaya Ntini
Farveez Maharoof
Lasith Malinga
Andy Roberts

I've already got an order for these players if no one speaks up based on the votes thus far. But if anyone wants to help me refine the order even more here's what you can do:
a) pick out and list the 19 least deserving players of the 69 - therefore passively casting a vote for the other 50, and/or
b) you can order them from 1-50, best to worst. Or even 1-20 I guess, if 50 is too many.

All data will be relevant! I'll give a couple of days for any extra voting, either on this list or any part of the top 100, and then after the weekend we'll rip into it!

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Surely Afridi is a bowler :p

----------

And please remove Pathan and Maharoof from the bowling list for being very average players even in their own times :p

swacker

Chairman of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Andrew Symonds

Although only averaging 39 in one-day, Symonds combined destructive batting, with versatile bowling and elite fielding. Symonds batting could be best described as powerful; a strong comparison would be to Andrew Flintoff, however Symonds had a better understanding of building his innings. He was a game changer, for whom when it clicked, could take the game away. He could bowl medium pace or off-spin depending on conditions, and his pure athleticism allowed him to be a world-class fielder.

Gautam Gambhir

Gautam Gambhir. Averaging 40 as an opener is quality stuff. He can be more aggressive than Virender Sehwag, he can play the kind of back-to-the-wall innings that would do Rahul Dravid and VVS Laxman proud, and he can accumulate without taking any risks, much like Sachin Tendulkar has been doing in the last quarter of his career. I'll also take the 2009 Test Player of the Year version. He was unbelievable during that time.

Jason Gillespie

The Aussie paceman was part of one of the great bowling units and brought more than his fair share to the table. For the majority of his career Gillespie was a fast bowler with good height and an ability to swing the ball in both directions. Gillespie was noted for his ability to beat the bat, perhaps often doing more with the ball than was necessary. Gillespie was also a very handy low order batsman, with an average of 14 as any no.9

Terry Alderman vs Graham Gooch

Test

I see Graham Gooch in the list and look at Alderman rubbing his hands in delight. Gooch was a fantastic batsman no doubt but some players have creature batsmen/bowlers. Like Warne had Tendulkar, Mike Atherton had Glen McGrath, Curtley Ambrose and Courtney Walsh, Gooch had Alderman's monkey on his back all day long.

Says Statsguru: Alderman had a knack of getting Graham Gooch out, taking his wicket seven times in the two tours, five of which came when he trapped him lbw with his offcutter after setting him up with outswingers. Indeed, he reduced Gooch to such a shambles in the 1989 Ashes series that Gooch asked to be left out of the Test team - a personal victory for Alderman that symbolised the series.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
both clarke and even kohli should be on the list, despite the fact their careers aren't even close to completion (or even in their prime with kohli) kohli would be the first batsman in the team if he was in contention for an all time england XI.

of the floating batsmen I'd definitely have

Michael Clarke
Damien Martyn
Andrew Symonds
Shane Watson
David Gower
Nick Knight
Gautam Gambhir
Virat Kohli
Martin Crowe
Javed Miandad
Mohammad Yousuf
Herschelle Gibbs
Graeme Smith
Arjuna Ranatunga
Kumar Sangakkara

and of the bowlers

Nathan Bracken
Brad Hogg
Dennis Lillee
Abdur Razzaq
Ian Botham
Andrew Flintoff
Kapil Dev
Ewan Chatfield
Gavin Larsen
Daniel Vettori
Imran Khan
Makhaya Ntini
Lasith Malinga
Shahid Afridi

but guys like afridi, kapil dev, and imran, symonds (for fielding as swacker said) should be in as all rounders. Also, with players like larsen, afridi, vettori, bracken, I think it's important not to under-estimate the strangling aspect of ODI. these are players every captain would want in their team as someone who isn't getting hammered about is of paramount importance. no one would pick 4 strike bowlers for an ODI team, someone to tie down the middle overs is vital.

Gaurav_7

Executive member
CSK
RR
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
1. Sachin Tendulkar
= Sir Viv Richards
3. Wasim Akram
4. Glenn McGrath
5. Adam Gilchrist
6. Sanath Jayasuriya
7. Ricky Ponting
8. MS Dhoni
9. Shane Warne
10. Brian Lara
11. Michael Bevan
12. Shaun Pollock
13. Jacques Kallis
14. Imran Khan
15. Shane Bond
16. Muttiah Muralitharan
17. Kapil Dev
18. Javed Miandad
19. Inzamam-ul-Haq
20. Joel Garner

My top 20 for now. Just a quick 'top of the head' names actually so many might disagree with the rankings of those guys. I just can't get where to start from while rating these guys. I feel one player set at a particular time (maybe category wise) can be discussed in the thread and we can get the rankings? Say a batsmen v batsmen, who had what impact and all that..

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Thanks for the input all, will make the relevant adjustments to the spreadsheet.

I think user, we COULD do a more comprehensive ranking system, but it might be more trouble than it's worth. The original aim was just to profile 100 legends of ODI cricket, not to get them ranked perfectly. I guess in a way having in imperfect system might be better, more controversy to discuss :p

Surely Afridi is a bowler :p

----------

And please remove Pathan and Maharoof from the bowling list for being very average players even in their own times :p

Happy too, they made it in through the stat qualification. Maharoof in particular has a good looking record, and a couple of stunning matches on his resume, but yeah I'm with you - generally a pretty average bowler.

Afridi? His batting sucks now, but it was how he was noticed in ODI cricket and arguably how he'll be best remembered. He's taken a lot of wickets, but then so did Jayasuriya. But yeah certainly, he could have easily been in the bowlers list...:D

----------

both clarke and even kohli should be on the list, despite the fact their careers aren't even close to completion (or even in their prime with kohli) kohli would be the first batsman in the team if he was in contention for an all time england XI.

Ohhh burn :D

but guys like afridi, kapil dev, and imran, symonds (for fielding as swacker said) should be in as all rounders.

Yeah was considering making an allrounder category, but it's really just to clarify the list a bit more. An extra category was going to add a whole new set of problems eg. Shaun Pollock - allrounder? Steve Waugh? Carl Hooper? In the end just went with their main discipline and hoped the PC community was smart enough to work it out :p

----------

Test

I see Graham Gooch in the list and look at Alderman rubbing his hands in delight. Gooch was a fantastic batsman no doubt but some players have creature batsmen/bowlers.

So you want both Gooch and Alderman in the top 100? Or just Alderman?

----------

Oh and just to point out...Abdur Razzaq on the list is the Bangladeshi left arm spinner, NOT the Pakistan all-rounder. So Stinky, did you want to nominate Bangladesh Razzaq or Pak Razzaq? Should have made it clear. Pak Razzaq hasn't got a vote yet, but could make a list if he gets a couple more.

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
How did I miss this thread? Anyways, I am going to throw out some names that are on top of my head right now.

(1) Sachin Tendulkar
(2) Wasim Akram
(3) Muttiah Muralitharan
(4) Shane Warne
(5) Imran Khan
(6) Kapil Dev
(7) Glen McGrath
(8) Joel Garner
(9) Saqlin Mushtaq
(10) Michael Beven
(11) Ricky Ponting
(12) Sourav Gangully
(13) Brian Lara
(14) Adam Gilchrist
(15) Jaques Kalis
(16) Rahul Dravid
(17) Michael Holding
(18) Zaheer Abbas
(19) Alan Donald
(20) Hashim Amla
(21) Javed Miandad
(22) DM Jones
(23) Sanath Jayasurya
(24) Arvinda De silva
(25) Mark Waugh
(26) Saeed Anwar
(27) Shaun Pollock
(28) Shane Bond
(29) Lance Klusner
(30) Bob Willis

Last edited:

RPHKR

National Board President
1. Sachin Tendulkar
2. Viv Richards
3. Glenn McGrath
4. Shane Warne
5. Wasim Akram
6. Brian Lara
7. Hashim Amla
8. Michael Bevan
9. Waqar Younis
10. Adam Gilchrist
11. MS Dhoni
12. Muttiah Muralitharan
13. Saurav Ganguly
14. Sanath Jayasuriya
15. Ricky Ponting
16. Kapil Dev
17. Inzamam ul Haq
18. Mike Hussey
19. Anil Kumble
20. Saeed Anwar
21. Michael Waugh
22. Alan Donald
23. Zaheer Abbas
24. Shaun Pollock
25. Harbhajan Singh

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Happy too, they made it in through the stat qualification. Maharoof in particular has a good looking record, and a couple of stunning matches on his resume, but yeah I'm with you - generally a pretty average bowler.

Afridi? His batting sucks now, but it was how he was noticed in ODI cricket and arguably how he'll be best remembered. He's taken a lot of wickets, but then so did Jayasuriya. But yeah certainly, he could have easily been in the bowlers list...:D

He may have burst on because of his batting, but he is now considered world class because of his bowling. If anything his career was hampered for a few years whilst the whole of Pakistan assumed he was the second coming of Bradman mixed with a howtizer. Only once they accepted he was a bowler who can swing with a bat did his career start to excel. Jaya took a lot of wickets, but compare Afridi's numbers and I'm pretty sure they're much better bowling, and far worse batting than Jayas.

Users who are viewing this thread