ENG....
SRH...
QG
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Hughes missed a tragic irony by one run. He was on 63 when he was hit.
Just a fact... Stick Cricket 2 (a mobile cricket game) also honoured Hughes in a specific fashion... Whenever the batsman reaches the exact score of 63... The game pauses and the batsman points towards the sky in tribute

Verified Enigma

PlanetCricket's Sherlock Holmes
Champions League Winner
Avengers
AdiBPrOg.jpg
If you missed it @qpeedore

This pic was for Hughes and not the nut shot

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
Here's a weird one. In a T20 league, there are confetti cannons set up to celebrate every six (DLF, Ceat, MRF, El Dorado, whatever...maximum). So these cannons are set off whenever the ball passes the rope.

Well, the ball indeed passes the rope and one such cannon is fired, except said cannon was right near the trajectory of the ball. The subsequent blast of air is enough to slow the ball whereupon a fielder takes the catch by stretching and a bit of athleticism. Is the batsman out?

Note that these air cannons do have very high velocity on discharge, so it is very possible to alter the trajectory of a ball.

Also, I have lost every ounce of respect I might have once had for Marlon Samuels.

Verified Enigma

Champions League Winner
Avengers
Here's a weird one. In a T20 league, there are confetti cannons set up to celebrate every six (DLF, Ceat, MRF, El Dorado, whatever...maximum). So these cannons are set off whenever the ball passes the rope.

Well, the ball indeed passes the rope and one such cannon is fired, except said cannon was right near the trajectory of the ball. The subsequent blast of air is enough to slow the ball whereupon a fielder takes the catch by stretching and a bit of athleticism. Is the batsman out?

Note that these air cannons do have very high velocity on discharge, so it is very possible to alter the trajectory of a ball.
Dead ball. :)

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
@Parth D

Correct. It's similar to when the ball hits the SpiderCam. The ball essentially has had a direct interaction with a piece of ground equipment, not on the field and not considered part of play. Unless everyone involved comes to a proper decision in the moment, it's dead ball, no runs are to be scored, the wicket does not count, and the batsmen return to their original ends. But, the ball has to be rebowled.

Only slightly related, but I found it funny nonetheless:

19.2.7 A person or animal coming onto the field of play while the ball is in play shall not be regarded as a boundary unless the umpires determine otherwise at the time that contact between the ball and such a person or animal is made. The decision shall be made for each separate occurrence.

This means that the umpires can actually call a 4 if the ball hits a dog, or in the days of yore, a cow. And yes, cow corner is so named because it's so empty that cows can graze in there, but in village games sometimes there were actual cows grazing in there.

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
Okay, it's been long enough. Two of my previous trivia questions were unanswered.

- Who are the two Test players to have a higher average than their highest Test score?

Sadashiv (Sadu) Shinde played 7 Tests for India between 1946 and 1952, garnerning an average of 14.16 but a high score of 14. Five not out scores in eleven innings helped him along the way.

Antao D'Souza played 6 Tests for Pakistan between 1959 and 1962, with an average of 38 but a high of 23*, helped by 8 not outs in 10 innings. Other fun fact, he is one of the very few non-Islamic cricketers to represent Pakistan in Tests...count one less depending on if you count Yousuf Youhana/Mohammad Yousuf as one or not.

- Sometimes, wicketkeepers have to bowl. Which designated wicketkeeper has bowled the most balls in Tests? And who has the most wickets despite being behind the wicket otherwise in the match?

This one goes way back to when Test cricket was in its infancy. English keeper Bill Storer bowled 168 balls across 4 innings in Tests in the waning days of the 19th century and early part of the 20th, picking up 2 wickets. In First Class matches, he was a bit more effective, picking up 232 scalps with four 5-fors. But we don't know if he was the designated keeper in all of those FC matches.

Another Englishman, Alfred Lyttelton, only ever bowled once in Tests, but those 12 (4-ball) overs in 1884 saw him pick up 4-19, which remains to this day the best return by a designated keeper. Not just in an innings, but actually it's the most a designated keeper has ever picked up in his career. Even if you want to add AB de Villiers or Rahul Dravid into the mix, both considered designated keepers at one point or the other in their careers...AB only has 2 Test wickets, both of which came when he wasn't keeping in the match. Dravid has 1, again, not as the keeper for the match.

If we want to get out of the Stone Age, MS Dhoni would be the keeper who has bowled the most this millennium, with 96 balls but no wickets to his name. Tatenda Taibu has bowled 48 balls in Tests and picked up 1 wicket as the next most-bowled since the turn of the century.

And the last note on keepers, you add all of Mark Boucher's keeping dismissals, you get 999. Except he bowled one over and two balls at the ARG in Antigua and got the wicket of DJ Bravo for 107. That's the 1k right there. It was a match where all 11 South Africans bowled, and Boucher actually didn't have that bad of an action for a never-offspinner.

Will leave a scenario or two in a bit.

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
- A batsman usually wears spectacles with prescription lenses in order to see clearly. (This is not in doubt and his regular doctor can attest to it if needed.) As he is into his innings, he gets a bouncer which he tries to avoid. While he is ducking, his eyeglasses fall off and lands on the ground, whereupon he trods on them, smashing the lenses to smithereens with his spikes. He has no replacement readily available and faces out the over, but by the end of it he comes up to you (at least he thinks it might be you) and says that he cannot see properly and will like to go off until a suitable replacement can be obtained. The opposing captain, overhearing the conversation, says that he will allow the batsman to leave the field but it has to be as retired out and not retired hurt, as the batsman was never actually hit by a ball or physically hurt. Both players look at you, one glaring, one squinting. What is your call?

- In a tight finish of a final limited overs match, there are 4 runs needed to tie, 5 to win. Essentially a boundary goes to a Super Over, and a maximum wins. The batsman cuts hard and the ball bounces once on the field. The outfielder dives right at the rope and stops the ball, throwing it back to limit the batsmen to three. There is a massive mid-pitch celebration. You are still unsure, and go upstairs, where it is revealed that the fielder was in contact with the rope and the ball at the same time. It is a boundary, and as such, a Super Over. But due to the celebrations, the pitch is all but ruined. You do not think it will be safe to continue with further play on the match pitch. What now?

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
@Parth D I thank you immensely for nominating this thread for the End of Year Awards, but I'll have to decline the nomination. Part of having a good thread is forum responses and feedback, and I tend to kill threads. It's only because I'm that damn stubborn that I resurrected several of my old threads. But this one, this one particular thread is my baby, even if very few people reply.

Verified Enigma

Champions League Winner
Avengers
@Parth D I thank you immensely for nominating this thread for the End of Year Awards, but I'll have to decline the nomination. Part of having a good thread is forum responses and feedback, and I tend to kill threads. It's only because I'm that damn stubborn that I resurrected several of my old threads. But this one, this one particular thread is my baby, even if very few people reply.
I found this one the most interesting hence the nomination!

Coming to your scenario

Occupied for now

Gimme a while

Users who are viewing this thread