Warne to lead FICA World XIs against Black Caps

djkay

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Sri Lanka will finish their two-Test tour of New Zealand in April after the original trip was cancelled in the wake of the Boxing Day tsunami. Martin Snedden, the New Zealand Cricket chief executive, said he was also working to reschedule the four one-day matches that were abandoned when the squad returned home to assist with the nation's recovery.

The Tests will begin on April 4 and April 11 and the venues are expected to be confirmed in two weeks. "The climatic conditions in early April are normally similar to those in March and we are confident that Test cricket can be played at this time of year," Snedden said.

Shane Warne, who played his first one-day international since December 2002 last night, will captain a FICA World XI in three limited-overs matches against New Zealand in a hastily-arranged replacement series to raise money for tsunami victims. Warne will be joined by Muttiah Muralitharan, Sanath Jayasuriya and Andy Flower at Christchurch on January 22, Wellington on January 24 and Hamilton on January 26.

"We hope to break even from the series or to run at a manageable loss," Snedden said. "It will be expensive to hold, but the benefits for the home cricket season and the Black Caps, as well as those who benefit from our fundraising activities, will make the series more than worthwhile. The series is an important initiative." Snedden said funds from the matches would go to World Vision and Sri Lanka's Cricket-Aid, which is providing emergency relief for the homeless.

FICA World XIs Game 1 Shane Warne (capt), Andy Flower, Ian Harvey, Graeme Hick, Sanath Jayasuriya, Lance Klusener, Nick Knight, Muttiah Muralitharan, Jonty Rhodes, Kumar Sangakkara, Heath Streak, Chaminda Vaas.

Game 2 Shane Warne (capt), Andy Bichel, Matthew Elliott, Andy Flower, Ian Harvey, Graeme Hick, Sanath Jayasuriya, Lance Klusener, Nick Knight, Muttiah Muralitharan, Jonty Rhodes, Kumar Sangakkara, Heath Streak, Chaminda Vaas.

Game 3 Shane Warne (capt), Michael Bevan, Andy Bichel, Matthew Elliott, Andy Flower, Ian Harvey, Graeme Hick, Sanath Jayasuriya, Justin Langer, Muttiah Muralitharan, Jonty Rhodes, Kumar Sangakkara, Heath Streak, Chaminda Vaas

wow...........Bevan and Flower and Rhodes and other great players...............shouldn't this be in News?

elliot!
go victoria!
go victoria!
go victoria!

all for a great cause,lets hope it's more enteretaining than them recent match involving the icc XI and the asian XI.

why are people saying that match wasn't entertaining, I can think of much less entertaining matches. Any match with a score of 344 and 7 or so sixes has to be fairly entertaining

Exactly. I didn't see the match and although it may have been a disappointing finish, I think the match would have been interesting (from the ROW XI highlights that I saw, at least). It depends on how you look at it. I mean you may think the CWC 2003 world cup final sucked but if you were an Aussie supporter, Ponting's batting was absolutley entertaining. If you were a cricket lover or even a humanitarian at that, I don't think this CHARITY match would have been any less entertaining.

wonderful a world eleven without the masters of the game,
tendulkar,lara,dravid,akhtar?
where are they?
How come warnie gets to captain the side.?
A drug addict and a su cker he is.

iceman_waugh said:
where are they?

Tendulkar: Injured
Lara: Playing in the VB Series
Dravid: Good question
Akhtar: Playing in the VB Series
Warne: Captain because has one of the best records as captain in ODIs. And not a drug addict.

If it wasn't for all of Warne's off field dramas, he would of been captain of Australia. I still rate him as a better captain that Ricky Ponting

He was captain of Hampshire last season and they got promoted to Div. 1 of the county championship and they didn't exactly have a sparkling season in 2003, so it was a good achievment.

iceman_waugh said:
where are they?

I think its nice to see many different players involved in it, not the same players all the time.

iceman_waugh said:
where are they?

how do u say warne is a drug addict?? just becoz he used a pill to lose weight for which he was suspended for a year?? i think its not fair to abuse a world class player like this in forums!! agreed that he gets into a lot of controversies but who decides the captaincy based on such things which happen off the field!

Well most of the Indian's aren't involved for the reason that that'll probably be their break period. It would be in their best interests to play because then they won't make a shoddy start to the new season like they did this year. Anyhow, maybe they'll be tired after the Pakistan series.

A lot of retired players and underrated players are playing................thats good...........

Users who are viewing this thread