• Maybe, he is bound to be recalled anyway

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe someone other than Broad or Panesar should have played

Votes: 6 33.3%

• Total voters

Owzat

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
Do you think Harmison should have been included given Broad's inexperience and ineffectiveness against bigger teams - averaging 67 vs India, 49 vs South Africa and 95 vs Sri Lanka - and on the back of Harmison's performances against Australia for the Lions?

1st Innings : 25-3-80-4 including the wickets of Hughes, Katich, Hussey and Lee

2nd Innings : 17-3-55-2 including the wickets of Hughes and Ponting.

That said his bowling average against the aussies is 44.94 although it is decent at home

AUS vs ENG 02/03 : 9 wkts @ 50.56
ENG vs AUS 2005 : 17 wkts @ 32.29
AUS vs ENG 06/07 : 10 wkts @ 61.40

Have England opted for the "safer" option of Broad who is younger and can bat?

OnlyClarkey

Club Cricketer
No. They picked the form bowler. Harmison dips in and out of form too much for England over recent performances, and Broad has been bowling well of late. It's like saying 'Why didn't we pick Moore after hitting a hundred against their attack'.

IloveGilly

News Team Member<br><a href="http://www.planetcric
Can't always select players purely on the basis of experience.

I'll wait to see how he performs first before judging.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
Do you think Harmison should have been included given Broad's inexperience and ineffectiveness against bigger teams - averaging 67 vs India, 49 vs South Africa and 95 vs Sri Lanka - and on the back of Harmison's performances against Australia for the Lions?

1st Innings : 25-3-80-4 including the wickets of Hughes, Katich, Hussey and Lee

2nd Innings : 17-3-55-2 including the wickets of Hughes and Ponting.

That said his bowling average against the aussies is 44.94 although it is decent at home

AUS vs ENG 02/03 : 9 wkts @ 50.56
ENG vs AUS 2005 : 17 wkts @ 32.29
AUS vs ENG 06/07 : 10 wkts @ 61.40

Have England opted for the "safer" option of Broad who is younger and can bat?

No, not for this game anyway. Harmison may have bowled well to Hughes in that tour game, but from what I've read he did lose a lot of pace during the day. Plus you never know what you will get from Harmison either, he is just way too hot and cold. I would select Sidebottom before Harmison, and maybe even Onions.

I do tend to agree with people that Stuart Broad has improved, but only just. He may have increased his speed but he gets very little movement with the ball, I don't think he will ever be anything special in test match cricket. His record against Sri Lanka is unfair though, hasn't he only played one test against them. His record against NZ would be pretty bad I would think.

And yes England have gone with the safer option, if Broad couldn't bat I doubt he would be in this team. Swann and Anderson are no mugs with the bat, so I don't see why they feel they need Broad that much.

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
1 good game picking up a couple of wickets isn't enough to bring him in ahead of a guy that's dominated the County 1st Division and the West Indies. Stuart Broad will prove people wrong, I'm certain of it. His record has started to improve dramatically, with his bowling average dropping by quite a few runs in the past few months. There are quite a few bowlers who have had poor records at the start of their careers but gone on to big things, and Broad's average has dropped from 45 against India in 08 to 37 after the Windies series, that's a massive step in the right direction. He does deserve to be in the team, and he'll prove that in the series, I'm sure of it.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
1 good game picking up a couple of wickets isn't enough to bring him in ahead of a guy that's dominated the County 1st Division and the West Indies. Stuart Broad will prove people wrong, I'm certain of it. His record has started to improve dramatically, with his bowling average dropping by quite a few runs in the past few months. There are quite a few bowlers who have had poor records at the start of their careers but gone on to big things, and Broad's average has dropped from 45 against India in 08 to 37 after the Windies series, that's a massive step in the right direction. He does deserve to be in the team, and he'll prove that in the series, I'm sure of it.

45-37 against the Windies.

37-50 against the Aussie's ;)

It's good to see someone support him as much as you do, but that record wont be coming down against Australia.

Will_NA

Chairman of Selectors
45-37 against the Windies.

37-50 against the Aussie's ;)

It's good to see someone support him as much as you do, but that record wont be coming down against Australia.

I'll take you up on that. I bet you Broad will average less by the end of this series.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
I'll take you up on that. I bet you Broad will average less by the end of this series.

You actually think Broad's average will go below 37 some point during this series. I wouldn't be surprised to see him dropped after this game tbh.

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
Dropping a guy after 1 bad Test would be very harsh, especially considering there's still 1 innings to go in that Test and the fact he's bowled well in recent times. Onions will come back in for Panesar for the next Test, and that should be the only change if there are no injuries. If Broad flops badly again if there's actually something in the wicket, then drop him, but dropping him after 1 poor Test on a flat pitch would be rather harsh I think.

Will_NA

Chairman of Selectors
Out of our bowlers, Broad has the most (non-swinging) variations. He doesn't just run up and bowl the same delivery plus he's good at finding a good length. He won't storm the Ashes but I see him doing well.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
When the West Indies toured England in May Onions and Anderson were the best fast bowler's, right?

Broad may have been good in that series but he wasn't the best, this is the ashes after all. If England want's to win it they may have to make same harsh calls. It would be extremly harsh if Broad was dropped after one bad preformance, but didn't the same thing happen to Hoggard in NZ last year.

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
Broad will definitely get tail out if Aussies dont declare.

Users who are viewing this thread