WC2007: Super 8

Some of these matches against the minnows can be real tricky at times and today was one of those days. England were not at their best again, but I think as long as they get the results its fine.

Will_NA said:
KP is really p-ing me off. If he really applied himself, he could have at least 7 hundreds by now. Colly to the rescue again. England batsmen getting starts and getting out to silly shots. Where have I seen this before?
He probably would've by now. To go with his 3 centuries his made 2 90's not out aswell and a 77 not out aswell. Not to mention he probably would've reached 3 figures aswell if he didn't get injured by McGrath.

Ireland played well...they were in it until like the 33rd over of their innings...they bowled well and if Rakin had not cramped up and they could have contained the last 5 overs a bit more that the result would have been much much closer...but good game in all shows they deserve to be there...

manee said:
England need to try and build players during this world cup. Basically, there is too much emphasis on the middle order with the top order doing nothing. Maybe Vaughan needs to go three and Kevin Pietersen can open. I understand that is a bit out there, but England need powerplay runs and need to solve the problem of a 1, 2 and 3 who cannot score more than 40 between them consistantly.
Why would you place Pietersen under even more pressure by opening him with Joyce? Although England did show in the CB series that they can win without Pietersen and I disagree with some of the comments that they rely on him too much. I would rather have Strauss opening than Pietersen or bring Bell back opening again..

Bell and Strauss arent attacking enough to open with each other. Just keep the set-up they have now, I dont think Strauss is much of a one-day player.

kodos said:
Why would you place Pietersen under even more pressure by opening him with Joyce? Although England did show in the CB series that they can win without Pietersen and I disagree with some of the comments that they rely on him too much. I would rather have Strauss opening than Pietersen or bring Bell back opening again..

Read the post, it was an example, I was merely saying that England need quick runs in the powerplays.

England got lucky. I'm fin the way England approach the game but their top three maybe except Joyce isn't getting runs to shout about and Vaughan and Bell are both very capable.
I'm a big fan of building a platform with wickets in hand. A lot of the time England lose early wickets and KP, Colly and Fred are left to rebuild.
Sri Lanka will be tough for England with players of attacking intent but Fred and Monty can be turned on for wickets. Vass, Slinga and Murali will trouble England.

Australia-Bangladesh today. Easy win for Australia surely.

Sure it wasn't a convincing performance but we won and never looked like losing and that's what counts.

Strauss should come back to open. I'm going to be really cheesy and say that form is temporary but class is permanent; This is definitely true in Strauss' case.

Hooper said:
Bell and Strauss arent attacking enough to open with each other. Just keep the set-up they have now, I dont think Strauss is much of a one-day player.
What combination can England use that is attacking? Strauss is a relative slogger compared to Vaughan and Bell. Few of the players that England rely on really look like one-day players.

I'm still baffled as to why we dropped Loye. If he can sweep Lee, Tait and Bond for six then i'm sure he could do it against the likes of O'Brien, Codrington and the other medium pacers England have faced so far.

They may as well have Alastair Cook with them. If he were a seasoned player his stats are a bit lacklustre, but at 22 it's worth a lot more to play him or at least take him to the big events.

Aus v Banglesesh anybody think Banglesesh can pull off another upset?

angryangy said:
What combination can England use that is attacking? Strauss is a relative slogger compared to Vaughan and Bell. Few of the players that England rely on really look like one-day players.

There are millions of Players in County Cricket playing Limited Overs, there has to be some attacking batsmen. But Bell,Strauss & Vaughan can be attacking but I beleive they are so stuck into Test Mode and I reckon it really shows in the ODI's. Perhaps Duncan Fletcher is too focused on the longer version of cricket. My England Top 3 would be:

- Joyce
-Bopara
-Bell

Ive only seen little of Bopara, but I beleive he is a good enough batsman to play in the top order if tried. Keep Bell at three, hes solid, and England needs that because it seems that they always lose early wickets. Vaughan might have to bat at 4, and Strauss (in the form hes in) should be left out in ODIs.

Users who are viewing this thread