West Indies (70's-80's) vs Australia (2000's)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That means Watson has past his peak and also hayden has had toe problems i dont see any bad form from him.
Peitersen got injured ribs but i didnt see any bad form from him either.

You are being overly pedantic. Tendulkar's tennis elbow, kept him out for a year and damaged his elbow in the long term. This has restricted his movement somewhat and hindered his free flowing stroke play. Watson would be past his peak if the injuries had a permanent effect on his body, but he seems to have made full recoveries and so can bowl 140kph whenever he returns from injury. If you have seen Tendulkar bat in the 1990s, it is evident that he was more of a free-flowing batsman back then and the injuries have hindered that.

The comment about Pietersen is complete idiocy. His ribs have healed, how would this create bad form after he'd recovered?!

manee added 1 Minutes and 13 Seconds later...

Yeah as manee said it depends what sort of injury it is. Inzamam had back problems in late 04 and early 05 and missed most of the Australia series but came back strong and averaged something like 70 that year. Sachin injured his front arm didn't he? I'd imagine that would have a big negative effect on a man's batting.

He injured his elbow. The position of Sachin's elbow in drives is what led Don Bradman to compare Sachin to himself.

You are being overly pedantic. Tendulkar's tennis elbow, kept him out for a year and damaged his elbow in the long term. This has restricted his movement somewhat and hindered his free flowing stroke play. Watson would be past his peak if the injuries had a permanent effect on his body, but he seems to have made full recoveries and so can bowl 140kph whenever he returns from injury. If you have seen Tendulkar bat in the 1990s, it is evident that he was more of a free-flowing batsman back then and the injuries have hindered that.

The comment about Pietersen is complete idiocy. His ribs have healed, how would this create bad form after he'd recovered?!

manee added 1 Minutes and 13 Seconds later...

He injured his elbow. The position of Sachin's elbow in drives is what led Don Bradman to compare Sachin to himself.

Well Watson has a bad hamstring while Sachin has a bad elbow but luckily Watson's can heal properly.

If you have a bad outer part of your elbow that it becomes pain and tender do you call it a Tennis elbow or Cricket elbow if it occurs from playing cricket?

Justin Langer
Matthew Hayden
Ricky Ponting
Mark Waugh
Steve Waugh (c)
Michael Hussey
Adam Gilchrist (wk)
Shane Warne
Brett Lee
Jason Gillespie
Glenn McGrath

v

Gordon Greenidge
Desmond Haynes
Sir Vivian Richards
Brian Lara
Sir Garfield Sobers
Clive Lloyd (c)
Jeffery Dujon (wk)
Andy Roberts
Michael Holding
Curtly Ambrose
Joel Garner

The West Indies lineup from the 70s/80s also means that Curtly Ambrose misses out and I'd rate him their best ever bowler aswell. Along with Courtney Walsh who'd also stake claim to a spot in the lineup and not to mention Brian Lara aswell.

Why would Ambrose miss out? He toured England in 1988 and while a lot of his 98 Tests came in the 90s he played 17 Tests before England's tour of West Indies in 1989/90. I am of course assuming that is why you've ruled him out, of course the biggest nightmare for West Indies would be who to leave out which I'd say would be harder than for Australia (especially if they're going to include Gillespie)

As for the question who would win? Would depend on the day, where it was played and other factors.

Australia's batting is miles ahead of the Windies.

McGrath's bowling record is also allot better considering he bowled in a batsman dominated era.

Not wanting to get into another debate about the Windies of that era, I'd say those two batting lineups look ridiculously even. I'd say West Indies would have the edge if you include Maco in that bowling attack. The lack of an amazing spinner like Warne will obviously hurt them depending on where they play.

I'm sorta disgusted to read this crap. Is the austrailian team today better than the Australian team the old windies use to beat repeatedly ?

I'd go with the west indies to win.. That WI Bowling attack was mean!

West Indies 4-1 in a 5 match series!

Brady added 5 Minutes and 19 Seconds later...

How about this match-up?

Australia
Ponsford
Bradman
Trumper
G.Chapell
A.Border
S.Waugh
Gilchrist
Lindwall
Lillie
Warne
Mcgrath

West Indies
Greenidge
Haynes
Lara
Iva Richards
Sobers
Lloyd
Walcott
Marshall
Holding
Gibbs
Ambrose

Last edited:
Australia's batting is miles ahead of the Windies.

McGrath's bowling record is also allot better considering he bowled in a batsman dominated era.

Miles ahead of west indies ?

There are alot of old teams that could beat the current australian test team.

LOL@lee beeing added to a test side to bowl out windies golden top orders.

I'm not sure if you realize it, but those players are legends, lee will never be a legend, nor will clark, or Jasson .. warne is great, mcgrath, gilchrist is such a good wicket keeper batsman - he will go down as great for his multiple role.

you can't compare legends to guys who are semi hot at the moment.

Most of these australian came at the time when cricket worldwide got weak, and due to training they performed better.

The windies of the 70s, and 80s shouldn't be compared with Australia team of today, maybe the windies in the early 90s. ;)

I'd go with the west indies to win.. That WI Bowling attack was mean!

West Indies 4-1 in a 5 match series!

Brady added 5 Minutes and 19 Seconds later...

How about this match-up?

Australia
Ponsford
Bradman
Trumper
G.Chapell
A.Border
S.Waugh
Gilchrist
Lindwall
Lillie
Warne
Mcgrath

West Indies
Greenidge
Haynes
Lara
Iva Richards
Sobers
Lloyd
Walcott
Marshall
Holding
Gibbs
Ambrose

you forgot the best WI batsman of all time and so often he seems to be forgotten,George Headley there is a reason that he was called the black Bradman. I would take out any of the batsman in the WI XI to make a spot for him.

Although I am unsure of which batsmen would be best, as a four man bowling attack, with each in their prime, for West Indies 70s/80s (involving only performances within that period), I'd go with:
- Andy Roberts
- Michael Holding
- Malcolm Marshall
- Joel Garner

Miles ahead of west indies ?

There are alot of old teams that could beat the current australian test team.

LOL@lee beeing added to a test side to bowl out windies golden top orders.

I'm not sure if you realize it, but those players are legends, lee will never be a legend, nor will clark, or Jasson .. warne is great, mcgrath, gilchrist is such a good wicket keeper batsman - he will go down as great for his multiple role.

you can't compare legends to guys who are semi hot at the moment.

Most of these australian came at the time when cricket worldwide got weak, and due to training they performed better.

The windies of the 70s, and 80s shouldn't be compared with Australia team of today, maybe the windies in the early 90s. ;)
HAAAHHAHHHAHHHAAA

The Windies only had 1 superstar batsman, Viv Richards.
Australia have 3, Ponting, Hayden & Steve Waugh.

The Australian team of old used to challenge the Windies a bit and they aren't nearly as good as the Australian team from 2000-2007.

1972/73 series in West Indies - Australia won the 5 match series, 2-0.
1975/76 series in Australia - Australia won the 6 match series, 5-1.
1978/79 series in West Indies - West Indies won 5 match series, 3-1.
1978/79 series in Australia - West Indies won 3 match series, 2-0.
1981/82 series in Australia - 3 match series drawn, 1-1.
1984/85 series in West Indies - West Indies won 5 match series, 3-1.
1988/89 series in Australia - West Indies won 5 match series, 3-1.

Goes to show you that the Windies weren't all that unstoppable, they even lost at home whilst Australia were undefeated in Australia from the early 1990's all the way until when India beat Australia in Perth, late last year.

1 Superstar batsman ? If we look at the team YOU provided, there is more than 1 superstar batsman...

Gordon Greenidge
Desmond Haynes
Sir Vivian Richards
Brian Lara
Sir Garfield Sobers
Clive Lloyd (c)

All of those are quality batsmen, with Richards, Lara, Sobers and Lloyd being real world class batsmen. Richards is the main who's most highly regarded, but to claim that he's the only superstar batsman is ludicrous. Brian Lara and Garfield Sobers were magnificent batsmen, and if Lara isn't a superstar batsman then I don't know who is. You'll be claiming that Tendulkar isn't a superstar batsman soon. Put it this way, i'd certainly have Lara and Sobers over Hayden in my team. I'd have Greenidge over Hayden aswell.

Well according to all of the other posts, the likes of Lara & Ambrose and so on 'shouldn't' be included into the Windies XI and if you check, neither Lara or Sobers played in any of those series that I just mentioned.

Greenidge over Hayden? Gimme a break! Averaging almost 10 more runs then him in Test Cricket, I don't care what era you're in, over a long period of time, that's enough alone to justify who is the better batsman. Hayden's played like 20 less tests and made 11 more centuries?

aussie_ben91 added 1 Minutes and 11 Seconds later...

:rolleyes:Coming from the person who thinks that Malcolm Marshall is a medium pace trundler who would get destroyed in this era.
He probably would in non-swinging conditions.

Swing comes from humidity in the atmosphere. How has that changed since the 1980s?

manee added 1 Minutes and 3 Seconds later...

Greenidge over Hayden? Gimme a break! Averaging almost 10 more runs then him in Test Cricket, I don't care what era you're in, over a long period of time, that's enough alone to justify who is the better batsman. Hayden's played like 20 less tests and made 11 more centuries?

So, first, the players of the 1970s and 1980s played on seaming minefields and now you do not allow their batting averages to be lower?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread