What have you achieved today?

I attended first session for language classes today. I am learning two of them. Afrikaans and Hindi. There is still a long way to go.

hindi's probably the most useful of the two that you are studying, but you never know...

I can't exactly talk, I'm trying to find Polish lessons... If anyone knows anyone who teaches Polish in Glasgow, then you know who to tell ;)

Good call, Shabby. I can speak broken Spanish. Good enough for um you know. :D

hindi's probably the most useful of the two that you are studying, but you never know...

I can't exactly talk, I'm trying to find Polish lessons... If anyone knows anyone who teaches Polish in Glasgow, then you know who to tell ;)
I found Afrikaans a bit tough of the two. That said Hindi's grammar is mindboggling. There are 3-4 ways to address a person by English equivalent of 'you'! Each one being relevant for a specific person.

I never tried to learn Russian/Polish. Tbh I think it will twist my tongue when speaking it. :p

I found Afrikaans a bit tough of the two. That said Hindi's grammar is mindboggling. There are 3-4 ways to address a person by English equivalent of 'you'! Each one being relevant for a specific person.

I never tried to learn Russian/Polish. Tbh I think it will twist my tongue when speaking it. :p

Thats hindi for you ;) I guess you are referring to "Aap", "tum", "Tu". Each is relevant to specific person and also can be used to give respect. Aap>Tum>tu is how they stand in terms of respect.

There's at least five words for you in Polish: a polite form with a masculine, feminine and at least one plural form (might be two; could even be three), plus a familiar singular and plural you. But Polish is hideously obnoxious like that, so...

"tu" is a word for the familiar you in loads of random languages its really odd - I know that's its correct in Polish, Lithuanian (tu esi Indijos?) and also apparently in Hindi. Its probably the same in Spanish or something, idk. They are all Indo-European languages so they are linked it that way but it seems a little scattered.

There's at least five words for you in Polish: a polite form with a masculine, feminine and at least one plural form (might be two; could even be three), plus a familiar singular and plural you. But Polish is hideously obnoxious like that, so...

"tu" is a word for the familiar you in loads of random languages its really odd - I know that's its correct in Polish, Lithuanian (tu esi Indijos?) and also apparently in Hindi. Its probably the same in Spanish or something, idk. They are all Indo-European languages so they are linked it that way but it seems a little scattered.
Indeed. And they say English is a funny language. In my personal opinion it much easier to learn conceptual wise than lot of other languages. One can learn general English with relative ease than some other languages like Urdu which sounds sweet but is a real tongue twister. You would never ever get you accent right, trust me. :p

Everything said, English has its own mindboggling concepts. :D

FYI Tu in Spanish means your in English but that does prove your point.

Indeed. And they say English is a funny language. In my personal opinion it much easier to learn conceptual wise than lot of other languages. One can learn general English with relative ease than some other languages like Urdu which sounds sweet but is a real tongue twister. You would never ever get you accent right, trust me. :p

Everything said, English has its own mindboggling concepts. :D

FYI Tu in Spanish means your in English but that does prove your point.

The rule that I've heard is that English is really quite easy to learn everything you regularly need; but in order to master it its incredibly challenging because of the strange exceptions and the like.

I once saw an article somewhere that compared the relative difficulty of learning certain languages and it declared Polish the hardest language to learn in the world. Although its big weakness is that it ignored the differences in alphabet: apparently learning spoken Chinese/Japanese is relatively simple because the grammar isn't at all complicated, but as soon as you try to learn how to write things down its pretty much impossible. Although I've tried to teach myself bits of Russian and Polish (the former for fun, the latter because I went to visit a friend of mine who lives in krakow last year) and while I found them both hard, I could handle Russian easier despite the fact that its cyrillic and not latin. Most slavic languages have complex rules which are fixed, but Polish is a little like English in that its got tonnes of little exceptions and contradictory rules, as well as pronunciation which is impossible (they like having "shch" in the middle of words which is hard to say)

e: I can't really differentiate between the various Indian languages: but I think the folk in my uni cricket team speak Urdu. It sounds nice, although its funny that they've borrowed the literal English terms for lots of cricket things

Users who are viewing this thread