Your Cricket whats the best grip for a seam bowler

But really at just club level, it doesn't make any difference what you do with your wrist, because every batsmen has a technical deficiency, every bowler has an accuracy problem.

It most certainly does; they had a section in the last test match where they talked about how important having a flexible wrist was generating pace, keeping accuracy and allowing swing.

Seriously even club players need a smooth albeit uncomplicated flick of their wrist on delivery.

It most certainly does; they had a section in the last test match where they talked about how important having a flexible wrist was generating pace, keeping accuracy and allowing swing.

Seriously even club players need a smooth albeit uncomplicated flick of their wrist on delivery.

Generating pace and keeping accuracy? Well that is just bollocks, its the other way around. I can agree with the possible extra swing because you put more revolutions on the ball, helping it to stay smoother on its axis of rotation.

I don't understand why club level players need it? You have just the same amount of chance of getting a dismissal from a straight ball (from good strategy) then you do with a ball that swings/seams a little bit.

When we talk about flick of the wrist I do not mean flick to the right to get it swinging to the right or to the left.

I am talking about flicking the wrist forward. If you don't move your wrist at all you won't generate as much pace; flicking the wrist forward generates momentum. It also helps you maintain a fluid action which should increase your accuracy.

Ah I see. Well flicking the ball forward is noticeable if you use like a tennis ball because it is so light, but a cricket ball is quite heavy so you will need a strong wrist to do that. Or you can slow down your arm speed and then flick it forward which will be possible, but then again you will lose your pace. I thought you were talking about flicking it a little bit to the left or right like Anderson.

So really I can't see how you will not lose speed with a wristy action, because you need wrists of steel to be able to do it at high speed, or you can slow down your action like Asif.

And accuracy wise, it doesn't really matter as long as you practice enough, but again simplicity is best.

"As a bowler, the extra strength you will gain, most notably in the wrist will help work wonders for you, as a spinner the extra strength and power will really help you whip the ball out the hand, generating those extra revolutions and getting that all important spin. As a pace bowler, this extra strength will allow you to flick your wrist through the ball with more power, helping to generate more pace through your action, this is an obvious benefit. " Cricket Tips: The Powerball Review

You're wrists don't have to be very strong to flick the ball. The balls aren't that heavy.

What I've noticed when attempting to flick my wrist forward is that I lose a lot of pace. I think this is because I'm just using the momentum in my wrists and I lose all from the actually follow through of the arm. Any help?

If it helps the discussion, I do flick my wrist when bowling spin or pace. It comes naturally.

If you're putting so much effort that it loses pace from your action then it might not be for you but if you can get it right it does make a difference.

You just quoted a promotion for a specific product :p Not a bowling technique.

Fact: The power you have to generate from your wrist is dependent with (arm speed)^2.

To be able to get sufficient "flick", you will have to slow down your action. Otherwise you would have seen Asif bowling thunder-bolts. So really one way or another, you will lose pace. And at club level pace really makes a difference.

I refer you to Amir and Flintoff. Both flick their wrists massively.

I refer you to Amir and Flintoff. Both flick their wrists massively.

It would be great if we were that good, but we are not. This is club level.

The swing bowler that I face in the nets actually uses his fingers rather than his wrists and he does get it to swing quite a lot, even though it is that red/white ball.

Last edited:
Cricketcoachingblog.co.uk - Brett Lee Bowling Action

There's a pretty good example from Lee. About 19-22 seconds in. A clear forward flick.

That ain't a flick. That is simply the momentum of the ball. As you start swinging your arm the ball moves back (simple physics) and after it reaches the speed of the arm it moves forward, but obviously Brett Lee is not putting any effort in the wrist. You don't even need to watch that video to know that.

Cheers for that Themer. I can see what I was doing wrong there. Lee sort of adds a flick to the end of his action. I was putting way too much emphasis on it, and just ending up hitting down when I bowl.

Users who are viewing this thread