Who have you met? Autographs/Pictures?

harrisb

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
The title says it all, which players have you met, and do you have their autograph or picture.

Only posting this today since i've just got back from Middlesex vs Sri Lanka, where i met most of the Sri Lankan squad, plus Eoin Morgan and the rest of the Middlesex squad

I went to the Middlesex vs Sri Lanka match on saturday and met a few of the players but I remember seeing middle aged men blocking small children from getting autographs because they needed it for their 'collection' which is fine but they were stopping small children from getting autographs and its a special thing for a young child to get a autograph.

I personally feel silly asking for autographs or a picture to famous people unless it's at a special event which they have attended to meet fans or promote something. But I have got a picture with alistair cook and matt prior at a vodafone street cricket event during the 2009 ashes, I have mike gattings autograph twice from two seperate occasions and a few other well known international cricketer's that I can't think of off the top of my head.

I was given a match ball from a Surrey t20 match a few years ago when I was younger as the game finished because I was waiting near the boundrey and the groundsmen gave me the ball. That isn't exactly an autograph or picture but it is still cricketing memorabilia(sort of).

Last edited:
I have met Imran Khan during a protest rally against Musharraf's crackdown on media and Supreme court in 2008. I attend many of his political rallies by the way.

I met Virender Sehwag on 5th December, 2009, a day after he scored 293 against Sri Lanka at Brabourne Stadium in Mumbai.

Sehwag's+Autograph.jpg

This must be special for you Yudi :)
And Back to the topic. Saw Sakhib-Al-Hasan a few days ago at Forum(A Mall in Kolkata),He didnt feel important enough to ask for a autograph

I met Javgal Srinath and Anil Kumble once (when I was 4 years old).
I dunno the exact story, but Anil visited Javagal Srinath's home that day and one of our family friends' neighbors is Javgal Srinath, which meant I met both of them:yes.

Once, when Australia A toured India, few players visited my friends' school, where I just rushed in to give a shake hand to Simon Katich, Doug Bollinger, Xavier Dohery:D. Got the Autographs, but when I tried for much more autographs, the paper was unfortunately lost:(.

In August 2009, I was in Mumbai airport (just one day visit) when I was in RCB jersey. Vijay Mallaya was passing through, I waved him and got a return back with a thumbs up!

In October 2009, in Airport, which I went to pick up my dad, I saw the total New South Wales Squad, I waved them, and got wave back from Simon Katich, Brett Lee, Doug Bollinger and Nathan Haurtiz.

Nothing much of that. And please note, this is non-stadium meet, not the ones whom I saw in stadium:yes.

I went to the Middlesex vs Sri Lanka match on saturday and met a few of the players but I remember seeing middle aged men blocking small children from getting autographs because they needed it for their 'collection' which is fine but they were stopping small children from getting autographs and its a special thing for a young child to get a autograph.

I personally feel silly asking for autographs or a picture to famous people unless it's at a special event which they have attended to meet fans or promote something. But I have got a picture with alistair cook and matt prior at a vodafone street cricket event during the 2009 ashes, I have mike gattings autograph twice from two seperate occasions and a few other well known international cricketer's that I can't think of off the top of my head.

I was given a match ball from a Surrey t20 match a few years ago when I was younger as the game finished because I was waiting near the boundrey and the groundsmen gave me the ball. That isn't exactly an autograph or picture but it is still cricketing memorabilia(sort of).

Yeah, there weren't as many small children there yesterday, i'm on study leave, but most kids are at school at the moment. There were a few guys there who had big folders full of autographs and pictures, some even with multiple pictures to get players to sign. The guy next to me had three of the same Eoin Morgan pictures for him to sign!

EDIT:

Did you notice how most of the Middlesex players only signed a few before walking off, but the Sri Lankan players stood around for ages talking to their fans, and signing things, taking photos etc. Dilshan gave up about 20 minutes of the lunch break to sign stuff and meet people waiting by the 'Central Control Point'

I'm not one to take pictures, which although people can then say "Well how do i know you have actually met them?" But I know that i've met them, and thats good enough for me.

Last edited:
I almost met Imran Khan once. One of my good friends here is English, and last summer, I spent a week at his place. One of his neighbours down the road was originally from Pakistan, and his mom was somewhat involved (not sure how) in Imran's party.

Anyways, there was going to be some party conference, or something in that nature, going to be hosted by Imran during the week I was there, and she was invited to it. She could bring guests along with her, and there was no way I was going to miss such a rare opportunity to meet such a great legend. Unfortunately, for reasons I don't know, it had to be cancelled in the last minute. So gutted!

But yeah, that's the closest I've ever got to meeting someone from the cricket world. However, I'm going to be spending about 2 months in England this summer as part of my training. So, I'm hoping I might be able to attend some sort of live cricket (hoepfully one of the Ind tests), for the first time ever! So excited :D

Have not met with anyone but was near to Imran Khan, Wasim Akram, Moin khan and Inzamam-ul-Haq. The best moment was of seen Imran Khan it was back in 1994

Yeah, there weren't as many small children there yesterday, i'm on study leave, but most kids are at school at the moment. There were a few guys there who had big folders full of autographs and pictures, some even with multiple pictures to get players to sign. The guy next to me had three of the same Eoin Morgan pictures for him to sign!

EDIT:

Did you notice how most of the Middlesex players only signed a few before walking off, but the Sri Lankan players stood around for ages talking to their fans, and signing things, taking photos etc. Dilshan gave up about 20 minutes of the lunch break to sign stuff and meet people waiting by the 'Central Control Point'

I'm not one to take pictures, which although people can then say "Well how do i know you have actually met them?" But I know that i've met them, and thats good enough for me.

Yeah lots of the Sri Lanka players did stay to talk but Anthony Ireland of Middlesex spent around ten minutes talking to some of the fans and Dawid malan spent quite a long time signing things compared to the other Middlesex players. And I couldn't believe those guys with the big folders expecting players to sign around three time's. But an article in the wisden cricketer magazine was saying that england was the land of autograph hunter's. And the Sri Lankan team may be willing to sign more autographs and talk to the fans as they were on tour in another country and were pleased to see some Sri Lankan fans abroad.

----------

I just remembered that my Grandad actually has the autographs of every division 1 football team from the 1951-52 season and Trevor Bailey. Not all cricket but still some decent autographs.

I have met Sadagoppan Ramesh personally as he's one of my distant relatives . Met him during his brother's marriage .

Whole Indian, Sri Lankan, B'desh, and Bermudan sides of 07 World Cup, Sunil Gavaskar, Tamil Nadu team, Dinesh Karthik a whole ton of times (lives close to me in Chennai, grandma knows his mom or something like that), Kris Srikanth (Grandma and his mom went to school together), TA Sekhar (met him at MRF pace academy), VB Chandrasekhar (went to his academy in chennai during summers)

NSW team in like 98, Greg Chappell, have a whole ton of autographs from SA team when my dad went to the India v SA test series last year...I think that's it

I'll try to post pictures later maybe. I think i've done alright for a kid living in the US :p

Potential to get VVIP tickets for any Deccan Chargers game as my aunt's dad is like close with the owners or something like that. I'm never free during the IPL though so the probabilities of that happening are slim... but I was talking to him the other day and he's like like we can get you in the nets and stuff...I'm like OMG! haha

I doubt it'll happen in the end though, but boy would it be cool

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread