WI to host 2010 World T20

Yogy

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
The West Indies will host the Twenty20 World Championships in 2010 instead of the previously-planned Champions Trophy.

The Caribbean was to host the biennial Champions Trophy in 2010 but the event's current edition this year in Pakistan was postponed for September 2009 due to security concerns.
Lorgat claimed that the postponement sent the calender haywire leaving the ICC with little choice but to hold back-to-back Twenty20 World Championships.

England is scheduled to hold the Twenty20 World Championship's second edition next year in June.

"With the Champions Trophy set to be hosted by Pakistan in 2009 after cancellation this year, we decided to have a Twenty20 World Championship instead in April-May 2010 in West Indies," Lorgat told reporters in Mohali.

"Although World Twenty20 is to be held every second year, we decided to hold it on the trot to set the calendar right," he added.

"We are working with the West Indies Cricket Board to finalise the venues."

Lorgat said the decision was made to avoid having the Champions Trophy too close to the 50-over World Cup to be held in South Asia in 2011.

"With the ICC Champions Trophy being the final major ICC event of 2009, and the ICC Cricket World Cup being the 50 over event in 2011, it makes perfect sense to have a tournament of a different format in between," Lorgat said.

"It means we will avoid staging the ICC Champions Trophy and the ICC Cricket World Cup close together, as happened in 2002-03 and 2006-07," he added.

The ICC CEO said the idea was to ensure that all three events -- the Champions Trophy, the Twenty20 World Championship and the 50 -- over World Cup retain their distinct identity.

"We will aim to make both those events special to ensure we have a great blend of the ICC's three majors, with two ICC World Twenty20s (2009 in England and 2010 in the West Indies) as well as an the ICC Champions Trophy (in 2009) and an ICC Cricket World Cup (in 2011) over the next three years," he said.

Another event that Australia/New Zealand misses out on :rolleyes:

Honestly they just hosted the real world cup and it was the most poorly organized tournament in history. Slow pitches will kill the buzz too.

But, it's closer to me :D.

This will suck if its anything like the normal World Cup. Like cricketman said the slow pitches will make for a crap tornament.

If AUstralia hosted it would've created history in World T20 but Windies is'nt a bad choice

Australia have the best looking grounds in the world, and the pitches there are good for strokeplay, and the atmosphere is electric too.

Waiting for a WC in Australia.

The slow pitches will definitely welcome some very low scoring games + if you have a good spinner you can make merry. I actually liked WC07, it wasnt really that good because India and Pakistan were knocked out but this time around I hope its a much better tournament.

West Indies? The West Indies you say? But suerly they are not worthy enough to host such an illustrious and respectable tournament such as the 20/20 Mickey Mouse Cup?

I am outraged, outraged I tell you!

WI is ideal for 20-20 with beer and bikinis around.

Slow, crap, dusty, pale wicket, is what everyone says. But they're so so stupid. Hearing about few facts, and that's it, spread about it all over the internet. The Jamaican pitches are so strong and bouncy, and there's grass patches everywhere, small, big and in bunches in pitches. The conditions are literally tiring, daisy enough to take off energy off the bowlers at times, especially when it's hot, quite rare getting tired, but when players get tired while playing cricket, then the other team will have a feast!

The atmosphere is quite electric in WI, much like india and you can score loads of runs, say it'll be a batting paradise when the pitch is just "good enough for batting"..

So, we'll get a lot of exciting cricket to see in the WIndies, unlike the little upsetting ICC Cricket World Cup 2007.

I wish they use those black bats :)
because they are so cool

The sponsers will black out! :eek: :p

Nay, it'd be fun, but things can change quickly, pink ball's coming in 2009, and maybe the change of wood's colour might just be in! It'll be fun really. :D..:D..

Users who are viewing this thread