Will cricket takeover football?

Saying that though, last time I was in Spain we were having a game of cricket on the beach and a few Spanish people stopped to watch us play for abit wondering what it was we were playing :D.

When I was in Canada, I was teaching Canadians cricket. Ended up kind of merging it with baseball to make them get the hang of it :p

Last edited:
Afghanistan is a good associate to look out for.Watch out for them:cool:

No, Football is a universal sport. Cricket will never be a universal sport and is miles behind football. I know cricket is big in India, which accounts for 1/6th the world's population. But how many countries play Cricket? 180 odd countries, The elite consist of 5%, I think probably only about 60-70 have their own cricket association.

The thing is you really associate sports with athletes or atleast you should look like one. Some of the cricketers are a joke on fitness. Shane Warne, Virender Sehwag and even Tendulkar during a certain time, were so fat, that it was hard to believe the sport they play is actually a sport. Just see what happened to Ronaldinho. Brilliant player, took his fitness lightly and became rubbish.

To be very honest, I dont see any sport overtakin football in the next 100 years.

how many countries play Cricket? 180 odd countries, The elite consist of 5%, I think probably only about 60-70 have their own cricket association.

Actually, cricket is already played by more than 100 countries and are recognized by the ICC as Associate and Affiliate Members.

With that said, cricket does not have the same type of appeal as other sports like football. And by looking at countries like Zimbabwe and Bangladesh you can see that it's not easy to compete with the elite cricket playing nations.

I think that if T20 cricket continues to spread that it can take hold in a couple of non-traditional markets including big markets like China and the US. Then it's only a matter of time before they start playing longer formats of the game.

Well if cricket wants to be global there's two markets they need to tap: China and USA. China because of the population which will stack up the ICC piggy bank. The USA is similar but it is also a cultural superpower. If cricket attains any form of popularity that resembles sports like Athletics in the US (not overly popular but many people do at least care about it) then it woll flow on into European and Asian nations.

Users who are viewing this thread