Marketing cricket.

Should cricket try to do a better job marketing?

• Yes, they should market cricket more like baseball.

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Yes,they should try to get more people around the world apart from the former colonies interested.

Votes: 7 70.0%
  • They are doing ok...but marketing still needs improvement.

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • No...they are doing well...people other than expats or from the former colonies wouldn't bother.

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters
The US has been targeted by the ICC before as a potential market, until they realised that very few people there were interested and that they couldn't make development in the sport. Now they have moved to China, which is working much better.

Im sure Nixon will come and prove me wrong though :p

I have family living in California, and i know for sure that although my 3 cousins are interested in Cricket that they sure as hell dont think its better than Baseball.

Like Sureshot said, Baseball is the biggest bat and ball sport over there. I actually know how many cricket clubs there are in the Californian state, and i can count it on one hand, 5, luckily for me, theres on right outside the main city of Sacramento where my family lives. As i can remember, im going back 3 years here, so my memory isnt up to scratch that long ago :rolleyes: the nets where basic, only 3 i think there was, but the facilities were good, they had the equipment what you'd expect of a team which dont play in a particular league. They have nets, they have a decent ground, the middle isnt that well looked after, quite green, but when summer kicks in, cracks start to show, thats why i think lots of spinners played for the particular team i went to watch. My youngest cousin, Harvey, trains with them, but he doesnt play as he is more interested in playing sports such as Americain football and Soccer. They have C2005, as they came over here last summer to watch a day at Old Trafford with thier dad, and id bought them the game, they still play it now, but need some kind of adaptor, i dont understand that bit.

Talking to Ryan, my oldest cousin, 16 but younger than me, he says that he plays quite regularly as a knock around, but usually Baseball is the most popular choice when he has a group of friends round.

If it's the PS2 version of 05 then it's not universal like PC. PAL (UK), NTSC (America) and Japan are the 3 zones if you like. A Pal disc wouldn't work on a NTSC machine without adapting it which can cost about ?50 iirc.

this videos would be a great comercial for the world cup even though its just made by some kid....it would get americans attention to atleast check it out and see what it is... even if not watch the whole thing...

**LINKS REMOVED**

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you'd have to market Cricket initially in the 20/20 format, and then progress onto longer versions. The only problem here is to make it 'applicable'- I think that can be done with a little bit of thought.

Only half tickets sold to date.........
http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/wc2007/content/story/270892.html
there's always been a problem selling tickets for the world cup....i mean come on it's the biggest thing in cricket and we are still going to have empty seats?....thats pathetic....all games should atleast be 90% sold out, even the minnow games....they should market and adjust the prices according to the teams involved...but no games in the world cup should have more the half the seats empty like the ones in the 2003 world cup...even the final wasn't sold out and filled...

Users who are viewing this thread