Two-horse race for 2011 World Cup

Who will win the rights to host the 2011 WC?

• Total voters

langerrox

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
if we get rights all grounds wil be expanded, i know perth is going to be upgraded

angryangy

ICC Chairman
langerrox said:
if we get rights all grounds wil be expanded, i know perth is going to be upgraded
They wont be doing expansion on the MCG, Telstra Dome or the Gabba any time soon.

squiz

International Coach
I'm hoping Australia get it, it'll be awesome if we do because by the end of it we'll have won 4 World Cups in a row :)

Definetly be going to a few games at the MCG and Telstra Dome if they do

kodos

International Coach
i reckon it would also be great. Not sure if new zealand will also be the co-host. It might be like what happened in the rugby world cup when it looked like new zealand were gonna be the co host until the it was announced that they won't at the last minute. telstra stadium will for sure host games and other grounds such as cairns, darwin and possibly even north sydney oval.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
if the world cup goes to australia ...new zealand will be the co-host...
i doubt it ll only be australia.
another thing ,the telstra dome wont host any matches.Its a good stadium but i dont think it'll be given the right to host any matchin a world cup...though they did it successfully during the super series.

I feel the world cup will go to the sub-continent coz it was rightly put by Jagmohan Dalmiya...the subcontinent is host to 3 cricketing powers and most of the financial boost comes from the place.
This is the reason why the ICC will award every third world cup to the subcontinent.

andrew_nixon

Chairman of Selectors
iceman_waugh said:
I feel the world cup will go to the sub-continent coz it was rightly put by Jagmohan Dalmiya...the subcontinent is host to 3 cricketing powers and most of the financial boost comes from the place.
This is the reason why the ICC will award every third world cup to the subcontinent.
This assumption that cricketing power lies in the subcontinent is a bit of a fallacy as far as I can tell. Yes, they have more test playing nations.

But what about cricket overall?

Excluding the test nations, no Asian country qualified for the last world cup, and none have qualified for the next world cup, with only one even coming close. At the last World Cup there were as many African sides as Asian sides, and at the next world cup there will be as many European sides as Asian sides. And yet the Asian Cricket Council still get more development money from the ICC than any other region. It has fewer associate members than Africa and Europe, and fewer affiliate members than Europe.

The only reason for the sub-continent to hold every world cup is that more sponsorship money comes from the region than anywhere else. And that's what the ICC is interested in.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
I agree with you that the power does not lie in the sub continent.
but it is the money which is there.
Sponsorship money...you also got superstars of the game.
Telecast rights .
Rope them all in the game the ICC stands to earn a lot.

But if you consider the fact that the subcontinet teams dont play in sharjah or any tournament..the ICC stands to lose plenty of money.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
I wish it gets to the subcontinent! The subcontinent adds a lot of flavor to big events and if the World Cup is given to the subcontinent, it would make it a big hit!

Some one said it would be great imagining Australia batting on those pitches! Mind you, we're not Sri Lanka who just think of a dustbowl whenever they play Australia! We do not create atmospheres according to the opposition's weakness! Not all our pitches have been dust bowls! We have given the Aussies sporting surfaces too (e.g. Nagpur, Chennai 2001, Mumbai 2001).

squiz said:
I'm hoping Australia get it, it'll be awesome if we do because by the end of it we'll have won 4 World Cups in a row

Definetly be going to a few games at the MCG and Telstra Dome if they do

Still a dream though! They're favorites to retain the World Cup but dont discount out the other top nations!

I have never seen a team in dominance like Australia! Would love to see their dominance coming to an end!

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
I would love to see Telstra Dome upgraded. From memory it use to hold 80,000 until the circular sport came onto it.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Telstra Dome has always had the same capacity and being an enclosed structure, probably always will.

Telstra Stadium, on the other hand, holds 83 000 for Soccer or Rugby.

valvolux

Club Cricketer
andrew_nixon said:
If Australia get it, New Zealand will probablt host a few games too, as in 1992.

nah NZ won't get a thing like in the rugby.

wasn't the world cup in the sub continent in 95?

andrew_nixon

Chairman of Selectors
valvolux said:
nah NZ won't get a thing like in the rugby.

wasn't the world cup in the sub continent in 95?

The ICC are supposed to have a rotational policy, with each region taking it's turn.

ie:

1992: East-Asia/Pacific (Australia, New Zealand)
1996: Asia (India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka)
1999: Europe (England, Scotland, Ireland, Netherlands)
2003: Africa (South Africa, Zimbabwe, Kenya)
2007: Americas (West Indies)

so 2011 should go to a country in the East-Asia/Pacific region.

Users who are viewing this thread