Two-horse race for 2011 World Cup

Who will win the rights to host the 2011 WC?

• Total voters

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
if the australia - new zealand combo get it
the final would go to new zealand then.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
I think the way they will view it is if they decide that we aren't capable of hosting, then they will look at the sub-continent. I think it's fairly certain we could host it.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Its not that we aren't capable of hosting. We have hosted the Olympics (Best ever), Rugby World Cup (also best ever) Commonwealth games next year (soon to be the best ever :D). Surely that must be enough to show that Aus can host big events.

Its just a question of how greedy is the ICC.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
Just an innocent query... from the point of view of cricketing fans, would it cost more to get from Europe/Africa to Asia or to Australia? They would of course have to deal with a poorer quality of living, though they would definitely shack up at 5 star hotels. :P

I would love to see the WC back in the subcontinent, though Australia getting it through the unofficial rotation policy wouldn't be that bad, either. I'd try and get to it. :P

Also, if things go as they have in the past few WC's, the minnow nations (qualifying nations) are just there to get some international exposure and provide some warm up matches for the stronger (test-playing) nations. Sri Lanka is one of the better ODI teams in the world. Can't say the same about India and Pakistan, but they can hold their own, especially in world cups. Australia and NZ also top ODI teams.

If you look at it by sheer population, the WC should come back to the subcontinent. :) It'll also give us (subcontinent-peeps) to get the actual world cup back.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
A lot of sports tourists in Australia are just backpackers. So, yeah, can be very cheap.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
I think the sub continent would be cheaper.
The number of airlines including the low-cost ones has drastically increased since 1996.
Also acquiring a visa of India/Pakistan/Sri Lanka is a relatively easy job for the people.
Likewise ,that of Australia is tough.
also cleanliness in new zealand....ppl will prefer it in the sub continent.
You will have crowds for any match...
Lets see.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
yeah thats what i meant to say.
Cleanliness in australia and new zealand....sub continetals may not live upto it.
A few Indian players were fined at Auckland airport in December 2003.

no offense to the sub continent ppl.

Users who are viewing this thread