Story Windies tour of England, 2007

Who Will Win The World Cup?

• Total voters

treva

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England

Channel 4 have won rights to host the World Cup in the West Indies,The New tournament the ICC World Test Championship hosted in Australia and the Twenty 20 Championship hosted in England and Wales.Today Channel 4 cricket host Mark Nicholas said this "It's great that terrestrial T.V can get Cricket back and so that more people can get into the game and more people can get interested in the game without spending lots of money on buying cable T.V! Me and the guys are definitley looking forward to the new international schedule and can't wait to get back to presenting the cricket."​

Channel 4 have announced they will be making a monthly program of what has been going on in the cricketing wold each month.The new show "Line and Length" will be hosted by Mark Nicholas with Simon Hughes,Michael Slater and Geoff Boycott along side him.Channel 4 hope this will be a great build up for the World Cup in the West Indies.

Last edited:

BBC have proposed to share coverage with Channel 4 for the World Cup in West Indies.BBC announced if Channel 4 accept the offer the matches will be hosted by Tony Greig who announced that he would love to present the coverage on BBC instead of Channel 4.BBC are still looking for commentators but Graham Thorpe from Sky Sports and Ian Bishop also from Sky Sports will definitley by in the team.

Last edited:
you know this is thread 16 in the stories forum? i just hope this one goes the distance. all the best

Channel 4 have today announced they have excepted the request from BBC and will be sharing coverage of the World Cup in the Caribbean.BBC Director of Sport Roger Mosey spoke to reporters and said the following "We are very excited about getting the cricket onto BBC.We will now have joint coverage with Channel 4 and will also show highlights of each day either in the morning or at night.At the moment we are trying to build a team of commentators and presenters to host the live coverage but we have already secured the presenter Tony Greig and former England batsman Graham Thorpe to analyse the days play with Ian Bishop being appointed as commentator!"

Mark Nicholas:Welcome to the first in the series of "Line And Length" the show that tells you what has gone on in the cricketing world this month.I have with me Former England batsman Geoffrey Boycott,Our very own Channel 4 analyst Simon Hughes and former Australian cricketer Michael Slater.Today we will look back at the first test between England and Pakistan and we will have an exclusive interview with Australian captain Ricky Ponting on his thoughts of the World Cup and who has the best chances.First lets have a look at Jargon Busting by our analyst Simon Hughes!

Mark Nicholas:Lets now take a look at the first test between England and pakistan.England put out the same squad that has been played throughout this season without Andrew Flintoff who is still recovering from his injury.Pakistan had a few esential players out including Mohammed Asif,Shoaib Akthar,Naved-Ul-Hasan,Shoiab Malik and Younis Khan.Here are the lineups for the First Test at Lords:
England
ME Trescothick
AJ Strauss
AN Cook
KP Pietersen
PD Collingwood
IR Bell
GO Jones
LE Plunkett
MJ Hoggard
SJ Harmison
MS Panesar

Pakistan
Salman Butt
Imran Farhat
Faisal Iqbal
Mohammad Yousuf
Mohammad Sami
Inzamam-ul-Haq
Abdul Razzaq
Kamran Akmal
Shahid Afridi
Umar Gul
Danish Kaneria

England won the toss and decided to have a bat on a very dry pitch.
Here is the first innings scorecard:

What do you think of the England innings then Geoffrey?

Geoff Boycott:England's approach to the first innings was very matture and this gave them a very good chance for winning the game.For me Paul Collingwood's innings showed how much he is needed in this team and how much he is willing to keep his place.Cook played well but was lucky to make his hundred.Bell's innings impressed my as well and showed that he can play well and bat with the tail.Overall great first innings for England!

Mark Nicholas:Thanks for that Geoffrey.We shall take a short brake but we shall leave you with one of the best catches ever taken by paul Collingwood!

Last edited:

Mark Nicholas:Welcome back to Line And Length with me,Geoffrey Boycott,Simon Hughes and Michael Slater.So after that very positive start what did you think Pakistan needed to do Simon?

Simon Hughes:Well the certainly needed to keep their heads but score quickly at the same time.If England take wickets at regular intervals then pakistan will fall well short and could even end up being forced to follow-on!

Mark Nicholas:Well lets have a look how Pakistan got on.

How do you think Pakistan played Slats?

Michael Slater:Well Mark they made a great score considering the condition of the pitch compared to England's innings.It spun more and had more uneven bounce and to produce a score 100 away from England's was fantastic! Mohammad Yousuf batted out of his skin and must have been very tired out there in the crease on such a hot day anyway.But a great knock of 202 from him and Inzi's knock helped steady his team with 69.

Mark Nicholas:England then came out with a purpose to get a lead of over 300 to try and win the match on the last day by bowling Pakistan out.Lets take a look how their 2nd innings got on!

Could you sum up that England Innings in a sentence then guys?

Geoffrey Boycott:Great knock from the skipper and KP also did a great job to put England in with a fantastic chance.

Simon Hughes:Great batting from England on a ditiriating pitch with Strauss leading from the front.

Michael Slater:Good batting from England and as always i enjoyed watching Pietersen bat and Strauss but Bell was unlucky to be run out looking for Strauss's hundred.

Mark Nicholas:Thanks guys! Now lets take a look at the final innings by Pakistan before we take a break

Mark Nicholas:So there we have it the 1st Test in the 4 match series between England and Pakistan at Lords.Lets take a break now but have a look at last years Ashes Montage before we go.

P.S sound envolved :)

Both the teams played well!!! :cheers Yosuf's double ton, Collinghood, Strauss ,Cook and Bell played their one of the best innings!!! Well done!!!

Mark Nicholas:Welcome back to the final part of Line And Length with me Mark Nicholas,Simon Huges,Geoffrey Boycott and Michael Slater.We now have an exclusive interview with Ricky Ponting and Clare Connor.
---------------------------------------
Clare Connor:Nice to see you Ricky I am a big fan of the way you captain the Australian side!

Ricky Ponting:Thank you Clare I have seen a bit of your matches and your a great captain too :)

Clare Connor:Now how do you think your side will get on over in the Caribbean and who will be big contenders for this years title?

Ricky Ponting:Well I believe our team is as strong as ever in the One Day side of the game and our team as spirit has lifted from the Ashes and we have taken the loss as a positive thing for us to improve next time around in Australia.India and Pakistan are looking the biggest title challengers this year with the likes of Dhoni,Dravid and Pathan India look a dangerous side.Key players for me in this years tournament are Kevin Pietersen of England,Inzimam-Ul-Haq of Pakistan,Brett Lee of Australia,Mahendra Singh Dhoni of India and Shaun Pollock of South Africa.I'm Looking forward to the fantastic challenge of the World Cup and hope we can play are best cricket to lift the trophy.

Clare Connor:You mentioned the Ashes firing you up even more,What will you change differently this time around back in Australia to try and regain the Ashes?

Ricky Ponting:We have learned from our mistakes and have regrouped from the loss.We have already started making plans for each individual player and look to minimalise the mistakes this year to insure we regain the Ashes for our fans back in Australia.

Clare Connor:Thankyou Ricky and good luck for the forthcoming Ashes and beyond!

Ricky Ponting:Cheers Clare and hope you have a good Women's season this year.

------------------------------------
Mark Nicholas:Ok thank you to Ricky and Clare.Well thats almost it from us 4 here on Line And Length.We shall leave you with 6 sixes in six balls from Sir Gary Sobers.Thank you until next time good bye.

BBC have announced they will arrange a match between England and World XI at Taunton in a Twenty 20 match to raise charity for the campaign Make Poverty History.Both squads have agreed to play the match and BBC will get full coverage.BBC Director of Sport Roger Mosey said "It is a great chance for BBC to show that they can cover the World Cup in the Caribbean.It should be a fantastic contest and could go either way!"

Last edited:
Very nice presentation Trev. Good luck with the story.

:cheers,
Left_Hander

Users who are viewing this thread