Windows 7 - Will it be the best of Microsoft?

Well when I install mine it shows bug warning that it has compatibility issues with Windows 7. So much for my 4 machine license. :p

Well, I have ordered one more ultimate version for my another PC today. Windows 7 seems to be really good.

You may have gotten an older release, then. What do the compatibility solutions suggest?

Unfortunately I am spending very less quality time in home since its installation. Will check tomorrow.

Check to see if you can use the latest version of McAfee with the license keys that you have. I am sure McAfee is compatible with Windows 7 (Dell is selling 15 months McAfee with their Windows 7 PC's and laptops)

Check to see if you can use the latest version of McAfee with the license keys that you have. I am sure McAfee is compatible with Windows 7 (Dell is selling 15 months McAfee with their Windows 7 PC's and laptops)

It is there in approved list of anti virus. Will check in morning. Otherwise Avast or Zone Alarm are there always.

I just put Microsoft Security Essentials on, that seems to be doing the job.

NOD32 FTW !! :D

works like a charm in windows 7 !

Absolutely. I have the NOD32 Antivirus 4.0 version installed. It takes up very little in terms of memory usage and works like a charm. However while the on demand scan is running in the background, usage could become slightly slower esp. while it is scanning some intensive drives (thats why I have set my on demand computer scan to scan my laptop at 5AM in the morning when I am sleeping so that by the time I wake up, the scan would be far from over). Its the best that I've used

I got a free copy of Panda 2010 during the Windows 7 launch festivities and so far it's been working well (on my beast of a machine).

How well does the education discount system work? I've heard some bad things - about freezing mid download, the ISO file not working in the end and curropt files. My sister has a .edu so I was hoping I could snag a copy and upgrade my laptop seeing the positive response.

Is there a better (cheap and legal) alternative than the educational promo?

How well does the education discount system work? I've heard some bad things - about freezing mid download, the ISO file not working in the end and curropt files. My sister has a .edu so I was hoping I could snag a copy and upgrade my laptop seeing the positive response.

I purchased two copies of Windows 7 using the 'Education discount system' (one using my college ID where fortunately I had setup the e-mail address to forward all mails to my personal e-mail ID. It helped because since I have graduated, they have disabled my login but they havent deleted my e-mail account). You dont get an ISO file that is burnable on a DVD player. What you get are two .box files and an .exe extractable file (run the .exe file and it will take you through the process). The total size is 2.5GB or so. You install a Download Manager and that downloads the main files. No problems at all with the downloading. If you want to custom install the OS, you got to create a new partition for Windows 7 and install it in that partition. You cant burn it on a DVD and boot from it to install (if you download it from the 'Education discount system')

Last edited:

The bad things are if you're trying to upgrade to the 64-bit OS from a 32-bit OS, from what I hear. In this case, the EXE that you download doesn't unpack properly. This was a problem by the vendor of the executable (Digital River). The issue may have been resolved by now.

Users who are viewing this thread