Work being Plagiarised

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am just gonna say one thing, welcome to the Internet in case you guys have been sleeping in a cave. If any of you have downloaded even one file illegally then stop complaining. No offence to anyone but that's the annoyance devs feel when their hard work land on warez, p2p, torrentz etc. the moment its released commercially.

Technically, patching a game is illegal. However, the Codemasters community liaison manager is fully aware of what we are doing and even invited some of us to headquarters last year so he's obviously not that bitter about it!

As for EA, patches have probably risen their sales. People visit this site, look at the patches and think "I want some of that" and go out and buy it. Not to mention the ones that buy the game purely to patch it. Collectively, we have probably saved EA's and Codemaster's bacon over the years and kept them in the cricket gaming business.

Companies like EA and Codies do not care about that, if they were to they will do it tomorrow. Frankly Just include a text file or something in the zip archive stating the creator's name and that's enough.
A message to patch-makers on PC- get used to the real world, in fact be thankful for extra mirrors. You guys are still new to patching and modding by the look of things, have a glance around to see how things are being done with other games on their community sites. Include a nfo or hard-code your name in the patch and that should be enough and let others mirror them to spread the goodness.

Last edited:
I am just gonna say one thing, welcome to the Internet in case you guys have been sleeping in a cave. If any of you have downloaded even one file illegally then stop complaining. No offence to anyone but that's the annoyance devs feel when their hard work land on warez, p2p, torrentz etc. the moment its released commercially.

Companies like EA and Codies do not care about that, if they were to they will do it tomorrow. Frankly Just include a text file or something in the zip archive stating the creator's name and that's enough.
A message to patch-makers on PC- get used to the real world, in fact be thankful for extra mirrors. You guys are still new to patching and modding by the look of things, have a glance around to see how things are being done with other games on their community sites. Include a nfo or hard-code your name in the patch and that should be enough and let others mirror them to spread the goodness.
Hmm...

Do I feel guily?

Maybe :p

The difference is that we don't take the credit for creating the games we illegally upload or download. This is not a mirror, it's blatant plagiarism.

Even if there's nothing that we can do about it, we can still complain to this moron and be heard.

I would like to bag the guy, but it would be hypocritical to suggest I haven't downloaded something illegally before, as with 99.9% of people on this site.

Although i disagree with what has happened, siddharth is 100% correct, its a harsh reality out there.

We could always pretend that we have a team of lawyers ready to take the case to court and he should remove them or else we will be expecting him in court...

What I mean by my above post is that rather than crying for mommy, be street-smart and code your work in a way that it reflects who made it, if its popular that it will get mirrored, plagiarised, stolen etc. etc. Just make sure to make it hard for someone else to take credit for it.

What I mean by my above post is that rather than crying for mommy, be street-smart and code your work in a way that it reflects who made it, if its popular that it will get mirrored, plagiarised, stolen etc. etc. Just make sure to make it hard for someone else to take credit for it.
That is exactly what I have done with my patch after I found that it was available on numerous torrent sites. But since many patches involve graphics, it may not be possible for them.

Yes, but there's a difference between mirroring something and stealing it as your own. We have to let this guy know that he's not going to get away with it, even if he might.

Yes, but there's a difference between mirroring something and stealing it as your own. We have to let this guy know that he's not going to get away with it, even if he might.

100% he will flee, we dont have a single clue who is he :(

Just look for his e-mail address and see if he is at any other forums and stuff...Stalker style...MySpace?

How many people complaining in this thread have actually had there work stolen? I think its down to the people who have had their work taken to decide what to do about it and nobody elses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread