World Cricket's situation

Vaughan_Fan said:
Australia - ageing bowling attack
It was ageing, but going by the performances in the ICC Super Series
that has changed to a medium aged bowling line-up. Sure McGrath and
Warne are getting on, but one of the advantages of them being there is
they'll teach our young blokes alot, so the future's pretty bright.

England - good bowling attack (as at present - but things could change - hopefully not :p)
I think they'll stay strong, as long as they don't let the Ashes go to their
heads and think they don't need to improve, It's been a mistake some
English bowlers & teams have made in the past.

New Zealand - lack a good pace attack with the likes of Oram, Tuffey, Bond(who in my opinion is past it).
The Kiwi's are always under-rated and not to be rude but I think you
under-rate them to an extent.

All-in-all, age means little, skill means everything.
If age did mean more than most make it out to be,
McGrath and Warne prove them wrong...

Andrew G said:
Sure McGrath and Warne are getting on

Yeh its gonna be sad to see them go... its been such a privelage being able to watch them all the time(particularly Warney) but yeh thats the thing I just think that Australia have been lucky to have two all-time greats, and I just think that might struggle a bit when they go(unless they can either a) find another one or two legends in the making or b) can form a bowling attack that all work together as a team and grind batsman down) for cricket's sake i hope so, and I hope so just so it can make a competitive Ashes, i mean I think most Australians will admit that that was by far the best Ashes series in the last 15 or so years and some would argue ever cos it was just such a close fought battle so yeh it would be nice to see more like it in the future.

Well i am not exactly worried about new talent in world cricket,we will always have them,but what worries me is the few number of teams playing the game.

Here's an ideal example,just consider the Australia vs World XI ODI series held lately,world XI lost all three games badly.But if we had a similar competition in football I am pretty much sure that wouldnt be the case,because of the amount of countries playing the game.This is something that ICC has look into for the future.(Wouldnt it be great if we had teams from Japan and China playing cricket)

dazza76 said:
For every players that retires im sure a new star will come along.

Yup, just like since Ambrose & Walsh have retired we've had......

.....urm....

... :(

I must say, what worries me most about current cricket is the dearth of great fast bowlers. This added to the fact that pitches (and rules) seems to be leaning more and more in favour of batsmen.

I know it?s been flogged to death but it was refreshing to see how, in the ashes, seemingly unstoppable batsmen were made to look (at times) lost in front of bowlers that moved the ball around and pitches that offered something to them.

I remember the days when we would wait for Waqar and Wasim to come on, or Ambrose and Walsh or Donald and Pollock and wait in anticipation for a spell of lightening fast bombshells that would cut batsmen inside out.

what will happen after 2007 world cup as far as australia is concerned.players like McGrath, Gilchrist, Langer, Warne, Hayden and Martyn would be retiring soon after the world cup.who is the future of australian cricket.is it philip jacques?is it shaun tait?nathan hauritz?shane watson?

UAE, USA, Canada, Netherlands and Scotland are all promising teams. They should play more apart from worldcups...

Scotland is better team than bangladesh in my view.bangladesh would have been at the bottom of 2nd division in the national league and Frizell county championship had they been a part of england

ZoraxDoom said:
UAE, USA, Canada, Netherlands and Scotland are all promising teams. They should play more apart from worldcups...
They all play every year.

USA are no where near being promising the way the game is being run there.

For the associate and affiliate nations, the most promising are probably, in no particular order:

Scotland
Ireland
Netherlands
Bermuda
Canada
Oman
UAE
Norway
Nepal
Uganda
Kenya
Namibia

That list isn't necesarily the best, but certainly the teams that show the most promise.

Also look out for Guernsey and Jersey, when they take part in their first European Championships next year. Guernsey ran Namibia and Bermuda close in warm up games for the ICC Trophy, and Jersey are of similar standard. All their club cricket is played on proper turf wickets, and up until last year were funded by the ECB.

Oman isn't much compared to UAE. Kenya is good, but they seem forgotten now...
I really wanna see Scotland play more though. And UAE.

Oh yea, watch out for China, in that large population, there should be atleast 11 talented players.

The standard of pace bowling today seems very ordinary. England is being hailed as having a mighty pace attack, yet it is comprised of four bowlers who each average a bit under 30. I wonder, has the game actually changed to hinder bowlers? Are modern pitches more batsman friendly? Are modern bats too effective? Could mismanagement be to blame? Where are all the would-be champion fast bowlers?

Todays India 'A' vs. India 'Seniors' match brought some interesting points. No-ball calls were harsh, as the slightest centimeter over the line was a noball, and with the crease slowing wearing away, too harsh really. The pitches are batter friendly, and bowlers are more negtive. Bats also are bigger and heavier. Lots of factors.

ZoraxDoom said:
I really wanna see Scotland play more though. And UAE.
Games for Scotland this year: 29.
Games for UAE this year: 19 + at least 2 more to come.

Is that not enough?

Oman isn't much compared to UAE.
My list wasn't intended to list the best non-test teams, but Oman did reach the final of last years ACC Trophy, qualifying for the ICC Trophy and the 2006 Asia Cup, all this as an affiliate member, getting little funding from the ICC. You can't say that isn't potential! Whereas the UAE have failed to qualify from the last 3 ICC Trophys, and have not shown anywhere near the potential they showed back in the mid 90s.

Users who are viewing this thread