World Cricket's situation

andrew_nixon said:
USA are no where near being promising the way the game is being run there.
Ain't that the truth. The problem with USACA IMO is that they are very keen to put eleven players out their to play International cricket but seem to have little or no interest in the development of a cricket infrastructure in the United States. I really hope the Major League Cricket project gets some support from the ICC as it seems to be USA's only hope at the moment. Here is an interview with Bernard Cameron, the man behind Major League Cricket in the USA.

http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/usa/content/story/220873.html

I recall the USA seemed to have a conflict with the ICC over funding. Something like they felt it was better that they handled their own money, but the ICC wanted them to give it to them so they could play with it.

At the moment, they take in the last 10 games, with a cut off point of 1st January 2003 (this changes at the start of every year, obviously).

I'm currently reworking them to take into account the last 20 games, with the most recent 10 having a greater weighting. The Women's and Under 19s rankings already use this format.

What's wrong with the name? I think it's quite funny.

andrew_nixon said:
What's wrong with the name? I think it's quite funny.
Thanx for the info.

I agree that it is funny, just about everything coming out of Williams' mouth is. But the comparison some people make between baseball and cricket makes me sick to the stomach. Don't get me wrong, I love baseball. To me, watching a pitcher pitch to a batter with a full count and bases loaded is almost as exciting as Sehwag's off-stump getting uprooted by Naved, but those two sports are nothing alike. The only thing similiar is some of the terminology borrowed from cricket in baseball.

That said, it is still a great site and the title of the website won't stop me from visiting it.

BTW, when do you think the country profiles will be completed?

andrew_nixon said:
Games for Scotland this year: 29.
Games for UAE this year: 19 + at least 2 more to come.

Is that not enough?

My list wasn't intended to list the best non-test teams, but Oman did reach the final of last years ACC Trophy, qualifying for the ICC Trophy and the 2006 Asia Cup, all this as an affiliate member, getting little funding from the ICC. You can't say that isn't potential! Whereas the UAE have failed to qualify from the last 3 ICC Trophys, and have not shown anywhere near the potential they showed back in the mid 90s.
I meant internationally, like against Zimabawe and Bangladesh and stuff, they only seem to play against Kenya/ODIs...

And Oman has potential, but compare the two teams as of now, and UAE is much better. Besides, Oman was probably the only team I haven't seen UAE lose against :p

I am a weee bit confused...

I mean, why should Bangladesh get test status for not much really, and Kenya not after the amount of succes theyve had. Kenya are a better side than Bangladesh surely? I mean...i know kenya will not be matching England :) but still I feel that they should be granted test status, even if it was just to play minor teams.

I agree. The same should applie to UAE, Scotland, Canada(maybe), Natherlands, etc. Atleast First Class status, so they can play the odd test/a few warm-ups now and then. The Sharjah stadium isn't bad for long matches.

Hopefully the structure will be sorted out soon, I mean your main test playing nations are sorted. However something needs to be sorted for the lower profile nations to start playing the longer form of the game. Maybe as zorax suggested, a 4-day tournament for them to compete against one another.

I think the comment "baseball on valium" is pretty ironic, considering what happens in a game of baseball.

Users who are viewing this thread