World Cup 2010 could be in Aus/NZ?

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
AUSTRALIA'S plans to host the world's biggest sporting event, football's World Cup, could be accelerated, with speculation persisting that South Africa's preparations for the 2010 tournament are hopelessly behind schedule.

Rumours surfaced during the World Cup in Germany that Australia was an option for 2010 should South Africa fail to meet its construction deadlines.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/football...head-down-under/2006/08/30/1156816966948.html

If SA do fall through Aus/NZ would have the stadiums to carter for the WC. NZ are upgrading their ones for the 2011 Rugby World Cup while Australia already have a few stadiums in the 50,000. Would be awesome for the WC to be here so soon after our success in the previous WC.

BigCrickNan

Chairman of Selectors
Theres also been rumours USA would have it. I hope SA have it though. England will probably have it again in 2018 :)!

Maxkarter

Battrick Tournament Host
Online Cricket Games Owned
I'd expect us to stuff up, but I hope they don't. Everyone is too busy about argueing name changes of half the cities and airports at the moment.

wolf

International Cricketer
Why do all you aussies think you will get the World Cup? On another cricket forum it is all they bang on about. You won't get it!

James219

International Cricketer
Funnily enough, I hope SA do pull through and stage it brilliantly, as that'd be a great indication of African development in so many areas. I don't think USA really, well, "deserve" to host a contingency one, seeing as their last would be only spaced by three other cups (98, 02, 06). We've got stadiums in the range of 80-95,000 (how much does Telstra hold these days?), but I don't think we'll end up getting it anyway..

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
wolf said:
Why do all you aussies think you will get the World Cup? On another cricket forum it is all they bang on about. You won't get it!

Now that we're in the Asia zone we have their support, so why wouldn't we get it.

Telstra stadium holds about 83,000.

Brett_Lee

International Coach
Telstra Stadium 80 000+
Suncorp Stadium 52000
Telstra Dome 50 000+
Aussie Stadium 42000
SCG, MCG

Then theres all the rugby league, AFL stadiums etc which can be used eg Dairy Farmers, Energy Australia,

Plus we have stadiums in NZ which can hold a bit so i rekon we could get it.

I seriously think we could hold it. But if needed im sure they will build new stadiums if its not required.

I personally think it would be good for australia/nz to hold it! It would be cool if it came to Australia!

MWaugh

International Coach
i dont believe nz zealand should be involved at all. that would mean that nz would make the world cup, they arent even the best team in oceania now (solomon played aus in the wc qualification matches as nz didnt qualify). it should be close to the best 32 in the world and new zealand would be taking away a spot from soneone else

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Forgot all about that rule lol. We did screw the Kiwis over hence them not being in the finals for the playoff but still there fault. I guess thats one reason why it doesn't come here often.

James219

International Cricketer
I doubt FIFA would be too keen on the idea of a joint hosting so soon after Japan/Korea, not to mention the fact that Aus and NZ are of seperate confederations these days (Asia and Oceania respectively).

sachin

International Coach
Well it would be brilliant to get it some time...I think we'd put on a spectacular show...Imagine,Nikki Webster floating down from the roof of the MCG,surrounded by lots of brightly coloured Footballs....:D

Azza!

Club Cricketer

It just wouldnt work having 2 different confederations hosting a World Cup. I dont think we'd have the stadiums that can cope with such an event. There'd be no more than 5 stadiums in the country that fit more than 50,000:
MCG
Telstra Stadium
Suncorp
Telstra Dome
How much will the new ground in Perth be able to hold?

Only 1 of the parks above are suitable for football - Suncorp. It's not the best of experiences watching football at the MCG when the ground is 50 metres in from the fence in some parts.

Also take this into consideration - Australia has 1 FIFA accredited pitch. That's right. One. And where might that happen to be?

olympicpark.jpg

A small athletics stadium that can hold 18,000 on the best of days. This wouldn't even be used for the A-League or NRL by 2010 anyway - the new 25,000 seat stadium next door would be truly underway by then.

There's no way you would be hosting the world's greatest festival without accredited stadiums, nor without enough stadiums to cope with the mass number of tourists.

I'd love it to happen, but maybe 2018 is the go.

Shevchenko

Club Cricketer
Profile Flag
South Africa
I don't know where you hear that preparations are behind for 2010 South Africa? why would top major companies invest in it and including FIFA to give SA an amount of $10,000,00-00 is beyond imagination to think South Africa are behind?!

m_vaughan

Chairman of Selectors
In the end SA will host it. Doubts over venues are always raised not just in football, but in other sports as well. Its just early speculation fired by the media.

Users who are viewing this thread