World Player of the Year

m_vaughan

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
The 30 man shortlist for the World player of the year has been announced. Here are the nominees:

Italy: Gianluigi Buffon, Fabio Cannavaro, Gennaro Gattuso, Alessandro Nesta, Andrea Pirlo
Argentina: Lionel Messi, Juan Roman Riquelme, Carlos Tevez
Brazil: Juninho, Kaka, Ronaldinho
Cameroon: Samuel Eto?o
Czech Republic: Petr Cech
England: Steven Gerrard, Wayne Rooney, John Terry, Frank Lampard
France: Thierry Henry, Franck Ribery, Lilian Thuram, Patrick Vieira
Germany: Miroslav Klose, Philipp Lahm
Ghana: Michael Essien
Holland: Ruud van Nistelrooy
Ivory Coast: Didier Drogba
Mexico: Rafael Marquez
Portugal: Cristiano Ronaldo, Deco
Spain: Fernando Torres

I think the award has been reduced to a complete joke with the exclusion of Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Francesco Totti. Others like Fabregas, Villa, Silva and Forlan deserve a place in that 30 ahead of some of the selected nominees. Ibrahimovic had a brilliant season last year for Inter, and Totti even better for Roma.

Both Lilian Thuram and Rafael Marquez were rubbish for Barca last season, and played a major part in letting in crucial goals that eventually cost them the title.

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
Lampard shouldnt be on there, nor should Gattuso, or Marquez, or Deco. Fabregas should definetly be on there, as should Totti.

If anyone but Kaka wins it, then it's even more of a joke. There's no-one better in the world right now, he is awesome.

Will_NA

Chairman of Selectors
I'm sure Fifa have already shortlisted the nominees for next year. It's the same players every year regardless of whether or no they actually perform.

Why is Frank Lampard on the shortlist? There are obvious exclusions and mind-boggling inclusions in this shortlist. I agree that it has become a joke.

Leicester Fox

Chairman of Selectors
Gattusso should be on there, you only have to see how united played when he went off at OT to see what an impact h had on Milans champions league. I reckon we would have beaten them if he wasn't playing

Chances are i'll get slated for this but Henry hasn't done much. I know he's class but in the past season he was injured most of the time, still better than Ibrahimovic though. I don't watch much Italian football but has Viera actually done anything?

Will_NA

Chairman of Selectors
I'm wondering when Kolo Toure will finally get the recognition he deserves

evertonfan

Chairman of Selectors
Anyone disputing Gatusso's inclusion in that list hasn't got a leg to stand on i'm afraid. He was immense last season. Just look at how effortless he made keeping Stevie Gee in his back pocket look in the CL final.

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
Meh, i dont watch much Italian football so havent seen him play much but in the games i have seen him play in he hasnt done anything worth getting player of the year for. I said it earlier in the thread, if Kaka doesnt win, the award is worthless, and Fifa are wrong.

m_vaughan

Chairman of Selectors
Anyone disputing Gatusso's inclusion in that list hasn't got a leg to stand on i'm afraid. He was immense last season. Just look at how effortless he made keeping Stevie Gee in his back pocket look in the CL final.

As good as he was in those CL games against United and Lpool, his form in serie A was very ordinary.

Henry might be a better player than Ibrahimovic, but the latter had a far better season last year. And this season so far he has been the best player in Italy and probably the world.

The biggest joke was however the exclusion of Golden boot winner, Francesco Totti.

Users who are viewing this thread