Worth Buying after patches??

Overall, I'm liking it much more than DBC14 -- bowling has a lot more variety and is more fun, batting is more challenging, matches are more interesting (seeing different types of dismissals etc) and the overall gameplay seems smoother. Graphics are a let down though, but I never cared about that.

Re: bugs, I got it last week for the PS4 after waiting for patch 4, and so can't comment on earlier issues, but looks like a lot of them must have been fixed, as I see very few issues with the fielding, running between the wickets etc.

The main downside for me (and my perennial pet peeve with cricket games) is the AI. It seems a notch better than DBC14 in terms of batsman shot selection and bowler ball variety, but still has issues especially at the end of the matches.

Playing against PRO difficulty, I had a couple of strange match endings - in one case, I needed 3 runs to win off the last ball, and had already smashed the bowler straight down the field earlier in the over, but the AI still had mid-on and mid-off up and I could easily loft over their heads again to win.

Then I had an issue with AI chasing: needing 18 runs to win off the last over, the AI still defended a couple of balls, took a few singles, and played one lofted shot, eventually losing by 12 runs. Really unforgivable and stupid. Maybe ramping up the AI to its highest helps?

Last edited:
It depends what you're after. If you are only interested in gameplay, and playing casual matches for fun against other people, or on your own, then it is a no brainer that you should get it. However, the statistics are somehow still appalling; in career mode, the stats are often wrong-not recording 100's and 50's and giving you the wrong average, which if you're playing as a batsman, just makes you want to stop playing. As well as this, there are no earned stats in the game, so playing anything like tours or competitions has no relevance except for if you want to play a casual game, which it all kind of boils down to really.
That's just plain unacceptable, and downright lazy.

Ok i ended up buying the damn thing and have been playing it for a couple of evenings....and I have to say that I am loving it. I thought all the people that helped inform my buying decision might enjoy a fresh perspective on the game from someone who has come in from patch 4.

In DBC14 I loved playing career mode as a batsman, but i always found the physics to be slightly off. Perfectly spanked drives would limp to the boundary if you were lucky and many shots would feel 'loopy' and 'floaty'.

In DBC17 batting is LOTS more fun, and by tweaking the shot power slider up to around 70 I have some Ideally timed drives crashing into the boundary. It's enormously satisfying. The ability to customise physics is KEY i think. You can literally fine tune the gameplay to your tastes and skill level. DBC14 didn't have this feature did it?! it's been a while since i played it on Xbox360 so correct me if i'm wrong.

Bowling seems much more fun as well, with spinners that actually TURN the ball.

Downsides? Graphics suck, but give me gameplay over graphics any day. Fielders are still funny. They throw like a bunch of drunken girls.

BIG downside has been mentioned here many times, but I have to report the fact that my career mode stats are all over the place. This is a MAJOR issue and seriously annoys me. It needs fixing and is rightly causing much uproar on this forum.

Conclusions....best cricket game since Graham Gooch Cricket on the Amiga 500. But fix the damn stats with another patch. You owe it to your fans :)

Last edited:
Glad you liked it. Though the more I play it now, I'm finding the single biggest issue is the AI. If anything, it's worse than DBC14.

I just played a T-20 on Legend difficulty (easy batting, hard bowling) and posted 167 batting first. The AI (South Africa) were absolutely terrible in planning their chase. They played as if they had no regard for what the target was -- played aggressively when they should have played with caution (after losing wickets), played extremely slowly when they should have accelerated, let the required RR climb up to 12, then tried to hit when there were 5 overs left and got out, and finally played defensively in the end finishing with 130-7. If they were batting randomly, I wouldn't have known the difference.

I don't remember DBC14 AI after all its patches being this bad on Legend.

I really hope @BigAntStudios spends the next two years just working on the AI :), and not add more logos, helmets etc which I don't know why some folk here care about.

PS. I should add on a positive note, that to me the game is PERFECT except for the AI. I don't play career so can't comment on issues there but everything else is well balanced and a lot of fun.

Last edited:
Wait till next patch if you can and keep continue playing dbc14.

After patch4 major issues are
- stats messed up
- continously AI field change every ball even on dot balls and if u hit 3-4 boudaries then no field change :D
- buggy AI as at legend difficulty, AI got all out just in 10-15 overs almost everytime at 40-70 score with almost all catch outs, if u compare AI with dbc14 then there easy is far competitive than dbc17 legend
- forget online

Last edited:
Wait till next patch if you can and keep continue playing dbc14.

After patch4 major issues are
- stats messed up
- continously AI field change every ball even on dot balls and if u hit 3-4 boudaries then no field change :D
- buggy AI as at legend difficulty, AI got all out just in 10-15 overs almost everytime at 40-70 score with almost all catch outs, if u compare AI with dbc14 then there easy is far competitive than dbc17 legend
- forget online
And the other things you are too exhausted to mention too.

I haven't yet decided whether it's worth the $50 I paid, but here is a list of observations so far. Note that in DBC14 I only really played career mode, long form games, and mostly just batted. A lot of these are comparisons to DBC14 (which I really like), rather than objective comments.

Things I like
I like the new menu UI, lots of work has obviously been put into it.
I like the granularity of the difficulty settings, although I haven't really done much playing with them yet.
I like how there's a career level below first class (but see below).
Fielding (when I'm batting) is far more realistic than DBC14.
Weather and pitch have far greater effect than DBC14, ie. any.
I REALLY like how I can have the ball marker set on for fielding but off for batting. I prefer off for batting as it's more immersive, but with DBC14 it made running very tricky because the ball was invisible once it was hit. Fixed!!!
Game is much much better at 60Hz.
Batting seems to be more of a challenge. Good.
Bowlers stride/delivery is more realistic.
Spin bowlers arm is no longer outside the sightscreen when bowling around the wicket.
I think if I ever wanted/needed to use the batting ball marker, having it appear early would be very useful. Nice that it's even got it's own delay setting as well.
Autosaving has made rage quitting after another stupid runout far less costly.
More wides and no-balls (at least at club level). Leg byes!!!!!
Late calls of NO!!! sometimes end up with both batsmen at the same end. Nice.
I like the new advance method (R3).
I like the new status info (up button). Would be even better if the stamina/confidence values worked for the other batter.

Things that don't interest me
I've discovered I don't really give a rats about statistics. It's just pretty poor programming, arithmetic is literally what computers were invented for.
Stadia and kits and bats and logos and other non-gameplay elements.
Any online problems.

Arse
The 12th man bug is annoying but I think I can work around it.
Club level seems to only have T20 games. I hate short form games. It should have 2-day 4 innings games mixed with a one day 40 or 50 overs per side comp. As it is, I just bat like I'm playing Proper Cricket, I end up with a low strike rate but too bad.
I bat in pro mode - the score ticker is very obtrusive. I suppose I'll get used to it, but it would be better to be able to turn it off when facing up.
You can't see the target in the batting mini game when it's not in front of you. I don't actually care, it just isn't nice.
Fielding AI always changing the field. Although to be fair, I've played with people who put a fielder wherever the last shot went.
The HUD tells me the field has changed, but usually it's when the bowler is running in and I can't look anyway.
Sometimes the running buttons (both run and cancel, and maybe the dive button as well) get ignored. DBC14 was ultra reliable with this, not sure what the problem is, don't think it's the controller though.

Generally liking it in spite of some of the more obvious issues. TBH, I think some people have been a bit harsh, it's mostly pretty good, although it could be just that the major problems are in areas that I don't care about.

Additional:
One thing that really bugs is that if I'm batting in pro mode and I'm at the non-strikers end, I can't look around as in DBC14. Which means that my eyes follow the bowler right in and I miss most of watching that delivery. Painful, makes me Skip a lot which really affects my timing when I get down the other end.

Last edited:
I haven't yet decided whether it's worth the $50 I paid, but here is a list of observations so far. Note that in DBC14 I only really played career mode, long form games, and mostly just batted. A lot of these are comparisons to DBC14 (which I really like), rather than objective comments.

Things I like
I like the new menu UI, lots of work has obviously been put into it.
I like the granularity of the difficulty settings, although I haven't really done much playing with them yet.
I like how there's a career level below first class (but see below).
Fielding (when I'm batting) is far more realistic than DBC14.
Weather and pitch have far greater effect than DBC14, ie. any.
I REALLY like how I can have the ball marker set on for fielding but off for batting. I prefer off for batting as it's more immersive, but with DBC14 it made running very tricky because the ball was invisible once it was hit. Fixed!!!
Game is much much better at 60Hz.
Batting seems to be more of a challenge. Good.
Bowlers stride/delivery is more realistic.
Spin bowlers arm is no longer outside the sightscreen when bowling around the wicket.
I think if I ever wanted/needed to use the batting ball marker, having it appear early would be very useful. Nice that it's even got it's own delay setting as well.
Autosaving has made rage quitting after another stupid runout far less costly.
More wides and no-balls (at least at club level). Leg byes!!!!!
Late calls of NO!!! sometimes end up with both batsmen at the same end. Nice.
I like the new advance method (R3).
I like the new status info (up button). Would be even better if the stamina/confidence values worked for the other batter.

Things that don't interest me
I've discovered I don't really give a rats about statistics. It's just pretty poor programming, arithmetic is literally what computers were invented for.
Stadia and kits and bats and logos and other non-gameplay elements.
Any online problems.

Arse
The 12th man bug is annoying but I think I can work around it.
Club level seems to only have T20 games. I hate short form games. It should have 2-day 4 innings games mixed with a one day 40 or 50 overs per side comp. As it is, I just bat like I'm playing Proper Cricket, I end up with a low strike rate but too bad.
I bat in pro mode - the score ticker is very obtrusive. I suppose I'll get used to it, but it would be better to be able to turn it off when facing up.
You can't see the target in the batting mini game when it's not in front of you. I don't actually care, it just isn't nice.
Fielding AI always changing the field. Although to be fair, I've played with people who put a fielder wherever the last shot went.
The HUD tells me the field has changed, but usually it's when the bowler is running in and I can't look anyway.
Sometimes the running buttons (both run and cancel, and maybe the dive button as well) get ignored. DBC14 was ultra reliable with this, not sure what the problem is, don't think it's the controller though.

Generally liking it in spite of some of the more obvious issues. TBH, I think some people have been a bit harsh, it's mostly pretty good, although it could be just that the major problems are in areas that I don't care about.

Additional:
One thing that really bugs is that if I'm batting in pro mode and I'm at the non-strikers end, I can't look around as in DBC14. Which means that my eyes follow the bowler right in and I miss most of watching that delivery. Painful, makes me Skip a lot which really affects my timing when I get down the other end.
You say weather has a far greater effect than in DBC14. Have you ever had a game delayed due to rain in career mode in DBC17? I remember in DBC14 i never seen rain and was always full sun (unrealistic when your playing as South Shields). I would like to know if weather has been implemented into this years career mode?

You say weather has a far greater effect than in DBC14. Have you ever had a game delayed due to rain in career mode in DBC17? I remember in DBC14 i never seen rain and was always full sun (unrealistic when your playing as South Shields). I would like to know if weather has been implemented into this years career mode?

You do get games delayed due to rain in career mode but the lighting doesn't change - still full sun shine. I cant quite fathom why it was too difficult to implement some overcast lighting (i.e. no shadows) in the game when there was heavy cloud cover or rain!

I have the same question. Is it worth buying. Am very much a career mode player l, the stats issue makes me think twice before I buy the game in PS4.

I have waited for the release of DBC17 wanted to read the review and then buy, but since the reviews were mostly negative for career mode I still confused even after 6 months. Love for cricket says me buy but overpriced product with bugs mainly stats bug and poor fielding AI is a big turn off. If there is no further patches fixing that, I may have to stay away from purchasing.

I have the same question. Is it worth buying. Am very much a career mode player l, the stats issue makes me think twice before I buy the game in PS4.

I bought the game a few weeks ago and for the same reason as you. I love career mode. In short, the gameplay is excellent but career mode is ruined for me because the stats don't track correctly. I made a century the other night and it wasn't recorded for example. I've given up on my career now there's no point really.

Users who are viewing this thread