Your Cricket Yorkers - how to handle them?

RPHKR

National Board President
I've been bowled several times by the yorkers especially the ones at the off-stump (right arm bowler - bowling round the wicket)

I play off-drives well, it's my favorite shot. Everytime I try to defend the ball but I miss it and get bowled either at off or middle stump.

How to get maximum out of a yorker?

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
I agree, just literally get your bat down as quickly as possible and leave it there, don't try and play a drive or something if you're struggling to just defend it. If you're anticipating it though, like at the end of an innings or something, I find either going forward or back slightly in the crease helps, as it just changes the length enough for you to be able to play it.

JD10

International Cricketer
I agree, just literally get your bat down as quickly as possible and leave it there, don't try and play a drive or something if you're struggling to just defend it. If you're anticipating it though, like at the end of an innings or something, I find either going forward or back slightly in the crease helps, as it just changes the length enough for you to be able to play it.

I rarely get a yorker to be honest though. Because if a quickie is on I ALWAYS stand outside of my crease because it turns into a full toss and absolutely smash it ! Also if you try to play a lovely drive for 4 off a yorker there is a high possibility that your bat might brake.

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
Yeah, but at a higher level, no matter where you stand, a bowler will work you out if you do it all the time and bowl the perfect yorker length for where you're stood too. I just meant that if you know it's coming, i.e. the bowler has been doing it a lot in the last few overs, then you can change it up to try to score off it. Like I said though, the only way to guarentee survival is just to get your bat down as quickly as possible and keep it there.

JD10

International Cricketer
Yeah, but at a higher level, no matter where you stand, a bowler will work you out if you do it all the time and bowl the perfect yorker length for where you're stood too. I just meant that if you know it's coming, i.e. the bowler has been doing it a lot in the last few overs, then you can change it up to try to score off it. Like I said though, the only way to guarentee survival is just to get your bat down as quickly as possible and keep it there.

Yeah I play at a high level and the top bowlers just work out how many yards etc it is to get it at your toes. The advantages of being a spinner though, they won't take their stance outside there crease :p

Fenil

PC Cricket Leagues Legend
Normally, I'm a good batsman for most type of bowling but the outswinging yorkers from left armers trouble me big time, not the right armers. I get out 9 out of 10 times to that ball. Any solution for this specially against the left arm pacers?

AnasK

Club Captain
Hit the bat to the ground as hard as you can in the line of the ball. :p I do this for playing yorkers. :D

FC Akash.

International Cricketer
Profile Flag
India
I've been bowled several times by the yorkers especially the ones at the off-stump (right arm bowler - bowling round the wicket)

I play off-drives well, it's my favorite shot. Everytime I try to defend the ball but I miss it and get bowled either at off or middle stump.

How to get maximum out of a yorker?

It is very easy
Just see the ball correctly
Lift your bat
And just hit it to six in the line of the ball
Many people will get out because of not judging the ball correctly
When it comes before to your legs then it is a sign of yorker
So just concentrate on the ball
Front foot and a six
If you are not sure about hitting six then defend it in front foot :)

grkrama

National Board President
Best way to deal with yorkers is going on front foot and meeting them on the full play ondrive or straight.
Another method i use for scoring runs of yorkers on off or middle is to expose your stumps fully and drive it square, it requires exact timing and full control but when it comes of its worth it as you can just use the pace of the bowler fully and exploit it.
The other main thing is to not keep thinking about yorkers just play it as you see it, just think of it like any other delivery and play.

Na Maloom Afraad

Man of Tomorrow
PlanetCricket Award Winner
The Boys
I have same problem, but the difference is that I get bowled at the Leg Stump and I can't play that because the yorker is directed on my toes. What to do? Some help would be nice.

Samuels

Rally Round The West Indies
WI....
Profile Flag
West Indies
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Being brought up in Jamaica, I have faced a lot of fast bowlers and quite a few of them bowled good toe crushers. Naturally, if you are not good at playing a particular type of a delivery you go into the survival mode so "Lift your bat and just hit it to six in the line of the ball" option is out of question. The key to playing the yorkers well is same as the key to play a bouncer good and that is to pick it early. Thankfully I was good at that so what I did was when I see a yorker coming, I get my front foot forward in the bid to take it on the full and either tuck it to square leg or long on or smack it towards the cow corner. You should try and start with try picking the ball early. In case you are already able to do so, you can forget about all the dilscoops and the helicopter shots and tuck it to square leg for a single. You may go for the fancy shots once you build up your confidence.

coolash1

Associate Cricketer
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
I Go The Advanced Down The Pitch Or Just Slog It Hard That's Why No Body Bowl's Me A Yorker!:yes.This Is True I Am Not Jogging

Users who are viewing this thread