Warne-Muralidaran Trophy (Australia in Sri Lanka) Aug-Sep 2011

Doodlesweaver

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Can someone tell me where Nannes is?? Last time I saw him he was carving up in the World t20 and now he is nowhere to be seen. I suppose they have decided to ditch him for Lee....

He's been over playing in England T20 comp for Surrey. I would think that he's been told he is not wanted anymore now.

His name probably doesn't push enough shirts or hats or something.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Can't say I agree on Christian, never really understood the hype with him really. Seems like Australias version of Luke Wright although I could be selling him a little short there..

Should be given a chance at the very least, in particular the ODI side where he was killing it. Would make the perfect number 7.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Should be given a chance at the very least, in particular the ODI side where he was killing it. Would make the perfect number 7.

Although i think he certainly better than Luke Wright, i do agree with Fergie i dont see what the big hype with him is, even while he killing it domestically in AUS last season. He is decent - nothing more IMO.

John Hastings was picked as the # 7 medium pace all-rounder before him & has been doing pretty well so i dont see place for Christian lead-frogging him in the ODI & T20 set-up for now TBF.

The potential emergence of Mitchell Marsh as well also may prevent Christian for getting close to limited overs set-up.

War

Chairman of Selectors
I understand that you need to try and develop youth, but at the same time they're ending the careers of tried, tested and proven players with age the only factor. The selectors already have a pre-conceived opinion about who should be in the team and how well a player actually performs at domestic and international level has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Yes yes the selectors are idiots.

Stuart Clark, Katich and Nannes have fantastic international records, yet they've been thrown away like garbage.

Yes everyone knows Katich should still be in the test team and Nannes one of the best T20 bowlers in the world should still be leading the T20 bowling attack in preparation for next years world cup.

Clark was rightfully axed from the test side after the 09 Ashes though, given his pace had dropped dramatically and was no where near the bowler who was so superb between S Africa 2005 - West Indies 2008, before injuries hit him.

He now is slowly moving into cricket administration Australian news: Consistent Stuart Clark has much left to offer in cricket administration | Australia Cricket Features | ESPN Cricinfo, so he himself knows he international days are over

Clint McKay is still in his 20's and has a bowling average of 21 at international level. Where is he?

I know McKay has very good numbers in his short international career. But i've always been skeptical that he wont be a long term success @ international level given he is of average pace and doesn't move the ball.

So TBF i dont think the AUS teams at any format is weaker for not picking McKay.

Adam Voges - international batting average of 43, list a batting average of 44. Where is he?

Voges a decent player no doubt, but like McKay above i dont think AUS not picking him in the ODI/T20 batting line-up makes the team weaker.

Voges has also never played for AUS in real pressure situation in a live series or tournament. Most of time he gets picked is at the back end of series (when AUS have already won) when key players get reseted & he played a few decent knocks, but never showed anything that suggested he was that good, to push out other really good established players in the ODI/T20 set-up.

In a place like AUS where you have alot of talented players, which has been the case for the last 15 years. Voges is one of those who doesn't have that x-factor, which is why he cant crack into the squad regardless of being a quality player.

Brad Hodge - everybody knows how good he is/has been, but has not been given the time of day

Yea he should have gone to world cup & if the selectors didn't treat his test career so terribly he could have still been in the test set-up.

These dumb selectors seem so stupidy worried about bringing in youth and forgetting the importance of having experience in test cricket. Look at India and their rise to test cricket recently (4) batsmen 35+ in their middle-order for most of the last 4 years. A AUS test middle-order (see below) right now would be potentially just as solid as Dravid/Tendy/Laxman/Ganguly

Ponting
Katich
Hodge
Hussey

Steve O'Keefe - proven bowler. has a first class average half of that of Michael Beer. Why isn't he in the test squad?/quote]

Ye everyone with a brain would have picked him in the test squad - too bad the current selection panel lacks such acumen.

Chris Swan - one of the best performing bowlers in domestic cricket over the past few years and handy with the bat. Why hasn't he ever even played an A game?

Yea it probably is a bit strange that he has not played a A game as yet. But i guess with him already 32 and alot of pretty exciting young talented fast-bowlers around, the selectors can be excused for once for not selecting him for such a team.

Andrew McDonald - performed well at test level. has been on fire with the bat the last year or so. Now has an average of nearly 40 and a bowling average of about 27. Where is he?

Not good enough for test cricket, regardless of his FC stats. AUS have enough decent top 6 batsmen and proper bowlers (4), that they dont need to balance the test side around a bits and pieces all-rounder like McDonald.

James Pattinson and John Hastings- I know they are young, but last season I would've had them as my 4th and 5th best bowlers for Victoria in T20. In one dayers Nannes, Harwood, McKay were all ahead of those 2. Yet they are the 4th and 5th best T20 bowlers in the country? How does that work out?

Pattinson has certainly been pushed to fast into international cricket by those in charge. But Hastings has been doing a solid job in the ODI/T20 team since selectors, so he is not really a problem really.

And one more thing. 20/20 was the format Nathan Lyon was discovered in and excelled at. So why not give him a go in the 20/20's? Would've been better off with him instead of one of the pacemen.

Ye fair point on that. But even though that was where he was discovered, i wouldn't have had him in the T20 squad for this tour, since my personal view is that given AUS have no T20 spinner of the quality of a Ajmal, Vettori, Swann, Harbhajan, Tahir we shouldn't really make having stressing picking one since batsmen in that format will always target them.

Dussey and Smith can work well as two spin all-rounder while the pacers who can bowl good yorkers and overall death-bowling be the main wicket-taking options. Of course the quicks got tonked in the first T20, but they are better than that and really as already mentioned Nannes, Tait, Harris should be part of the T20 along with Lee as we build to the T20 WC next year.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Dilshan was scratchy today and could have been caught off the bouncer earlier, as well as almost chopping on. Big chance if they can get Jayawardena.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
jaya better at limited overs cricket than he is at test stuff recently. the slower balls are being murdered in particular, he's seeing them too early.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Yeah that's really been the mark his innings. He's got 'early' nailed. You have to make him late.

----------

Hastings looks a different player today

----------

He is often used to bowl changeups, but this is just him bowling properly at the top of off and it looks as good as anything so far.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
I think Perera was just thrown in for fun. Mendis probably for the left/right combo or something.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
When Lee bowled his third over, I would not have said that was going to leave Australia in a comfortable position at the end.

Hastings absolutely has to bowl like that from now on and not bother with the slower balls. His pace seems to have improved too. He looked like a very good quality seamer, not just a player picking up wickets in a silly form of cricket.

That said, it still seems like something Sri Lanka could defend.

----------

Warner plays the reverse on drive

----------

Well this is just preposterous

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
australia doing a good impression of india 2008 here.

mendis unplayable to them.

----------

whoa, talk about illustrating my point. that is the first time that has happened ever.

Doodlesweaver

Club Cricketer
OH The HORROR

If the Lankans want to win the test series, they should just leave Mendis out of the ODIs as there are a lot more test batsmen in that format.:yes

He'll probably highly embarrass them if they don't get a good look at him before the test matches, whereas he seems to get worked out after a while.

Users who are viewing this thread