Deep analysis of the Ashes cricket game

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
I know barmyarmy has categorically ruled this out, but i can't believe that whatever was shown in May was a game, it must have been an animated cartoon, and they just talked over it and threw in the few "oh he hasn't done what we hoped" bits to make it seem played.

Have you listened to the audio that Matt posted in this thread?

BigAntStudios

@Ross
Big Ant
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I'm genuinely unsure how you could play the game to hide the issues - the ball warping to the keeper's hand would come up every time they miss the ball, and the awful chasing of the ball would occur with almost every shot.

I do think that the product being shown at Lord's was different than what we got released. One explanation unlike 'rewriting the fielding' that we can attach some truth to, we know they tried to move the game to a new version of Unity at the last minute in the hope that would solve all their problems on consoles.

A 'functional' game with memory leaks and worse graphics on one version of Unity in May, having the Unity version shift (hence 'recompiling' as the solution to everything) becoming a fundamentally broken game that was slightly more fluid graphically (the animations aren't as bad as the Vine) and still ate RAM because they never got around to optimising it.

There wasn't a new version of Unity for the PS3/Xbox360, it was, and still is to this day one version behind and on Beta. There were some updates but they were not so major. Memory is not an issue for PC.

The version that I saw did not have the same fielding errors as those presented in the final release. They cut down the animations and places the balls could go so as to minimise the issues. Players were always square to the ball by the time it came to them which negated many of the errors. The ball off the bat was also very restricted, also minimising the issues.

----------

2)or they had cut together a very small, contained game, possibly using old codemasters-owned code (i am sure they still have the code, even if not the right to use it) and hoped the real game could be fixed

This is also a favourite bet amongst some in the office here but I can't imagine the time and resource lost to pull that off.

silverthorne

Club Captain
The way how they did the game is big joke. (See posts #1 - 100) of this thread.

In no way was this game professionally done nor made.

----------

For the code masters theory, I could do very deep forensic investigation.

If someone wants to hire and get very deep detailed investigation, I could do it, but ..., I probably won't since it's not worth the time to do so.

I can state that almost zero, 0% of what the Ashes 2009 version made it to the final Ashes 2013 version.

----------

Most of the logic for Ashes 2009 lies in encrypted DLLs. From what is understood, they are intentionally encrypted.

Ashes Cricket 2009 is expected to fail on Windows 8.0 (and above) as the encrypted DLLs no longer work. The Ashes 2009 patch server is off-line.

Last edited:

silverthorne

Club Captain
@Chief,

Can I ask?

There seems to be 2 sets of development of cricket games:

- The older AC2009, heavily modified, showed at the Lords event...

- The newer UAC2013 which almost all the AC2009 is re-written. All the original source code was thrown away.

Is this hypothesis valid?

Chief

Panel of Selectors
@Chief,

Can I ask?

There seems to be 2 sets of development of cricket games:

- The older AC2009, heavily modified, showed at the Lords event...

- The newer UAC2013 which almost all the AC2009 is re-written. All the original source code was thrown away.

Is this hypothesis valid?

Not in the least. There was only 1 development, using absolutely nothing of AC09 or IC10, as said many times previously.

silverthorne

Club Captain
Not in the least. There was only 1 development, using absolutely nothing of AC09 or IC10, as said many times previously.

That's quite sad. You guys sold away your destiny :(

Anyway, the AI has caught-up lots since then. I think using AutoDesk Kynapse or babel navigation thing you should be able to re-create the AI found, in a more professional manner.

silverthorne

Club Captain
I feel sorry for you.

Somebody sold the rights away and you had to re-do the whole entire thing. :(

Who sold it away? That guy must have been so greedy that - killed the goose that laid the golden eggs.

grkrama

National Board President
ya i also cant wrap my head around the whole selling of code thing , wont you tend to get more money just by licensing out to whoever wants it ,rather than totally selling it off exclusively, who does that?:facepalm

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
Codemasters owned the code, they sold it off as they decided to only make racing games.

silverthorne

Club Captain
ya i also cant wrap my head around the whole selling of code thing , wont you tend to get more money just by licensing out to whoever wants it ,rather than totally selling it off exclusively, who does that?:facepalm

Nobody does that, unless, they were so cash-strapped or sell away the whole company.

This is so incredibly stupid. It is like, you write an award winning gold opera script, then you sell it away.

The next opera script you make, bombs and does not sell well.
The original rights to the first script you make, sells very well.

Whoever did that, must have been extremely greedy or plain stupid.

grkrama

National Board President
Codemasters owned the code, they sold it off as they decided to only make racing games.

so its likely codemaster provided transmission and trickstar with the base stuff required to build the game carried on from blic05&07 so once that partnership has ended ,these guys were lost in water to build the base systems required , or if it was built by them from ground up why would they let codies control it unless it was part of some deal (which would be stupid to do esp in sports genre) etc, isnt the systems owned by devs and licenses owned by publishers the norm,,

----------

This is so incredibly stupid. It is like, you write an award winning gold opera script, then you sell it away.

well we can guarantee u it was even at first it was no gold opera:p at best a flashy rom-com

Users who are viewing this thread