Don Bradman Cricket 14 - first impressions thread

glenny134

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
HAHA, i wrote something about this in another thread

There is absolutely no action at slip what so ever or even bat pad.

I have bowled 150+ overs in test mode and nothing.

Ive got a few go through to the slips, been playing on pro in career(if that makes a difference)

Biggs

This guy gets it
BGZ..
Profile Flag
New Zealand (Silver Fern)
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I think the slips are too close together in the field, especially when there's three or more they seem to act a bit unusually... Running forward to field the ball all the time, for one. Maybe just needs a rule put in place so they don't move until a RUN has been initiated. Same goes for the fielders throwing the ball, anywhere. Don't throw it until a run has been executed, because that son of Krypton at Mid Off is unbeatable and even defending it back down the pitch means he will throw down the stumps at the keepers end...

In other news:

Year 2 of career and batting is getting easier and I've got a real strategy out there now, anything short is defended or if I'm past 20 it's cut to the offside off the front foot, anything else gets pushed for one to the onside where there's usually a gap or a guaranteed one to get off strike to fine leg...

This morning, it was the Big Bash and I blew off Brisbane for the Sydney Sixers (Because, Pink Bat) and low and behold best series EVER for me. Scored 31, 18 (including a 96 meter six off the last over before I was, you f#%king guessed it, run out by Thor at mid off) and a couple of ducks, par for course, and then a GLORIOUS 51!! Top scored for my team, a lovely flick off the hips for four... nice to raise the bat (disappointingly it's shown from PRO Mode?!) and then swiftly run out next ball... But got some real time at the crease and some awesome boundaries, lovely cut and pull shots and just felt like I earned that 50 and at a reasonable clip too, I'm trying to hit the gaps and collect two.

Quick Pro Tip for batters in career mode. The minute you begin, just block three deliveries back to back right away. That gives you 5xp for nothing then try and hit a gap for 3 shortly after, giving you another 3xp. Gives you at least 6xp an innings even if you fail shortly after.

Using the POWER shot button while extremely dangerous with the superhuman fielding, does give you +2 skill points to front foot and/or offside or onside each time you get a boundary so try to get at least one of those away to the fence once you get past 20 ...just nowhere near mid on or mid off...

Batting is really just down to having a plan and working around the team of Kryptonians in the field for now, one that run-out glitch is solved and the fielding skills are toned way the hell down this will be the only mode I bother playing, it's so rewarding.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    333.2 KB · Views: 35

whiteninness

Panel of Selectors
It'd be a shame to not have the slips used much in the game since they are so vital in real cricket.

I did enjoy the test video. There was a lovely ball that drifted in then spun away.

kasabian21

International Coach
I think the slips are too close together in the field, especially when there's three or more they seem to act a bit unusually... Running forward to field the ball all the time, for one. Maybe just needs a rule put in place so they don't move until a RUN has been initiated. Same goes for the fielders throwing the ball, anywhere. Don't throw it until a run has been executed, because that son of Krypton at Mid Off is unbeatable and even defending it back down the pitch means he will throw down the stumps at the keepers end..

I don't think that would work as what if the batsman edges downwards towards the slips and it just falls short and the batsmen didn't run? Would look odd another fielder running in and getting it and them just standing there.

Ideally the field would be split into segments for each fielding variation and if the ball goes into one segment it's only chased (or caught of course) by one of the fielders within it, even both, as sometimes you'll get two fielders chasing it for a tap back and throw. Same would go with it crossing from one segment to another. It would take an age to configure, but would give the most accurate fielding I think. Or just the closest fielder to the ball perhaps?! Maybe that's simpler.

Agree they do seem way too close together and that the keeper takes all catches that would usually be taken by 1st or 2nd slip.

glenny134

Club Captain
Good sh*t with the 50, thanks for th tips too, i never block as i always want to get down the other end and not face, harder to go out that way haha

Mr Snrub

International Coach
A bit behind the times with my first impressions, but I have to say I'm hugely impressed with the game. It's nothing short of the best cricket game ever and by some margin. Sure there are some minor flaws, but it's not far off being near perfect.

I can't get enough time with it and every time I do get some time to play it I find something else new to enjoy about it. Brilliant work Big Ant and to give it a score, I'd give it somewhere around 8.5-9.0 out of 10. Maybe I'd say 8.5, but I have a feeling that after the patches it'll possibly get, that the 9 score will be more appropriate.

DeadShot

Club Captain
Played the game for 8 to 10 hours. Have to say thanks and appreciate all the hard work BA team has put in :clap. Depth of bowling control is exceptional and I don't think anyone could have implemented as good as this. Good news is that this is just first iteration.

Learning curve is steep and I'm finding it hard to bowl spin. Feel we need to have good reflexes to succeed in batting.

Yes, there are few glitches here and there which are already reported. Considering BA team is listening and they are already working on patch. This is and this will be one of the best cricket game of all time.

Frostyvegi

Club Captain
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
One thing to say about batting on career mode is at least I'm finding I'm improving. I went for 5 ducks (only one golden) at the start with a few different players (all on legend mode). Had a bit of a go on a casual T20 match on Legend difficulty then my next two career innings with my fast bowler got 10 and 15(ish). Felt really good, and my dismissals were just lack of focus or going for a single at a bad time.

stevo1

Club Cricketer
1. Yes, there was spin and awesome flight. The test match video that is uploading on my channel shows that off really well! I got a lot of wickets off spin, 8 in total. Some of the deliveries were awesome.

2. Didn't get any bat/pad decisions during the innings. I think there was a chance at slip but it dropped short of the slip fielder.

3. Yes, just half press the defense shot button.

----------

I agree on the above points. @BigAntStudios should really look into this. I wasn't sure why my bowlers lost pace without any reason. Also, I took 5 wickets with a spinner, yet his confidence was around 50% of the bar. This surely is wrong.

Secondly, the AI really needs to stop bowling to the middle and leg so much. Their field settings aren't that good to begin with and then the line length is also down the leg side.

Is this more in Tests? Been playing a view ODI's and they do mix it up quite a lot, played against Australia and got short balls from Johnson, in/outswing.

imhassan

Club Captain
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
I know the test match video is long but this was intentional so you can see how the AI plays and how I was bowling to get them to play how they were. I hope you enjoyed it!

I'll put up the second innings play tonight. Excited to play it :D

sami ullah khan

Panel of Selectors
I have started a new career as a number 3 batsmen. I have reconciled with the fact I can never be good at front foot/back foot movement. My reflexes are just not good enough. So what I do is premeditate my foot movement that too mostly on front foot. In reality, I was always a front foot player as well. Then I cut, pull or drive depend upon the color of the circle. I struggle at four days cricket and my highest score is 31 but off late I have started getting regularly in double figure.
T20 is a different story. I have made a brilliant fifty and been regularly getting into thirty. My average at T 20 level is 26 with a strike rate of 137. I really enjoy that brand of cricket may be because I am aggressive and look to score more than I do in four day cricket.
And I agree with Biggs, the superhuman fielding and Runouts have to be sorted out. That has to be the number priority for a patch.

Users who are viewing this thread