Don Bradman Cricket 14 - first impressions thread

imhassan

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
This is really what I've been waiting for video wise. Thanks a bundle!

Aside for the extras, the scorecard is reasonably realistic, perhaps a bit too aggressive but definitely plausible.

How did you find the type of shots the AI was playing?

Also happy to see no run outs :)

It was a batting paradise so they really jumped on bad deliveries and given the number of extras, you can see that there were a few of them. ;)

----------

Excellent stuff, how much did the set up cost and how easy is it to use?

I use an Elgato Game Capture HD card. It works amazingly well but you always need a computer to use it.

----------

Exactly what i have been waiting for! Much appreciated. To hear you say they defend and leave is good to hear!

The strike rates are not bad either!

Little tweaks and this really does seem like the game we have all waited for!!

Also the day by day videos is a great idea. I think the AI mentality is really shown through tests!

Well, given that the wicket wasn't really good for bowling, it still was a good experience. Note that I'm still learning how to bowl well so this test match is a good way to learn for me.

----------

Imhassan have you found that Aussie/England/SA and India are harder to get out than say WI and other weaker test teams.:spy

PS Also has anyone hit the umpire yet, wondering if that can happen.

The teams are community made so we can't really judge that well until the stats are properly defined. To be honest, the best teams still don't have proper statistics yet for many, many players.

----------

100+ runs partnership by tailenders. Does that happen often?

Not sure as this is my first detailed outing that is in progress. I dropped a chance or two off tail enders so this 100+ partnership was lucky in the beginning.

----------

Excited for the test match video but it's still processing :p

Shows around 30 minutes left here. The video is around 35 minutes long so taking time to upload/process.

Rhone

International Cricketer
Hey Imhassan...what are you views on;

1. Spin. Do you get ANY turn? Feedback seems to be that there is not turn at all.

2. Edges to slips and bat/pad decisions. Have you seen any?

3. Can you do defensive nudges/prods for a quick single?

Thanks!

imhassan

Club Captain
Hey Imhassan...what are you views on;

1. Spin. Do you get ANY turn? Feedback seems to be that there is not turn at all.

2. Edges to slips and bat/pad decisions. Have you seen any?

3. Can you do defensive nudges/prods for a quick single?

Thanks!

1. Yes, there was spin and awesome flight. The test match video that is uploading on my channel shows that off really well! I got a lot of wickets off spin, 8 in total. Some of the deliveries were awesome.

2. Didn't get any bat/pad decisions during the innings. I think there was a chance at slip but it dropped short of the slip fielder.

3. Yes, just half press the defense shot button.

----------

2. Bowlers pace, even the AI fast men drop from 140s to 130s/120/ in as little as 10 overs. I also had Johnson be so tired in his second inns that he started at 120s as he was tired from the first inns. Bigant please have a look at this as i don't think it's all ways the pace of the ball because i will say some balls look 130s but it says 112km.

The AI fields and AI Bowling patterns.
As others have said why have a slip when 90% go to the keeper.
When i scored my highest score of 58:D i had 95% scoring rate on the legside as the AI bowl like Leg 45%/ Straight 30% and off at 25%. Any test captain would be very pissed with his fast bowler if this happened in real life.

I agree on the above points. @BigAntStudios should really look into this. I wasn't sure why my bowlers lost pace without any reason. Also, I took 5 wickets with a spinner, yet his confidence was around 50% of the bar. This surely is wrong.

Secondly, the AI really needs to stop bowling to the middle and leg so much. Their field settings aren't that good to begin with and then the line length is also down the leg side.

zombieian

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
As I can only play in the nets at the moment, I think the comments about a lot of the bowling being on leg or outside of leg stump is true of the CA nets too.

Wealey

ICC Board Member
Hassan do you think the stats can me manipulated to weaken spinners a little or up batsmens abilities?

Can you put fielders throwing to 0

venkniralac

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
As I can only play in the nets at the moment, I think the comments about a lot of the bowling being on leg or outside of leg stump is true of the CA nets too.

yes especially if around the wicket :thumbs PC PC feelings:( :release:

imhassan

Club Captain
Hassan do you think the stats can me manipulated to weaken spinners a little or up batsmens abilities?

Can you put fielders throwing to 0

Yes, it can be done via Cricket Academy.

79cricket

Panel of Selectors

I was thinking the same but it's the opposite mate. In the nets i found i could cut a lefty more than a right but in the game they bowl so much into a right handed batsmen i can score on the onside more easily than the offside.

I am not saying you can't score on the offside but you are waiting for the pull/leg glance as they are easy runs.

AngryPixel

Chairman of Selectors
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Does anyone else find getting wickets easy on spinners? In my last two matches on PRO mode I've bowled out Australia for 137 and 110 runs. With piyush chawla taking a 7 for in last game :eek:
Gonna play one more match tomorrow using the same tactics and see if the pattern continues. :spy

Wealey

ICC Board Member
Does anyone else find getting wickets easy on spinners? In my last two matches on PRO mode I've bowled out Australia for 137 and 110 runs. With piyush chawla taking a 7 for in last game :eek:
Gonna play one more match tomorrow using the same tactics and see if the pattern continues. :spy

You sub-continent lads need to start using your quicks more ;)

DAP1987

School Cricketer
Quick question from someone yet to play the game ... damn UK release lol

Are people finding many catches being taken by the WK or the slips? Watched a lot of the videos and not seen many catches taken behind

invisibleman18

Club Captain
I'm loving that the game has quite a steep learning curve. It's going to require investing a lot of time in it which is great instead of getting bored with a game quickly. The CA also means rosters will always be up to date and the game will remain current even there is no sequel for a long time, as opposed to games like FIFA having the expectation of a new game each year which has got to the point where the only noticeable major change is the updated teams.

Batting so far for me has been a lot of pre-meditation but I'm sure with more practice reflexes will improve to be able to pick the line of ball much better. Still not got the hang of bowling although I've really just been trying to get used to the controls and bowling lots of different balls without setting any fields so haven't been bowling to a plan so far.

It's great that it can be a struggle because it feels so satisfying when you get it right. Really struggled for runs in a 10 over match last night and kept getting caught everytime I tried to up the run rate. Then off the last 2 overs I started to time them and I bashed 26 and 16 to lose by only 6 runs.

Taking catches with manual fielding is quite difficult, particularly close ones as the ball often hits the fielder before your brain can process that you need to move the right stick.

Loving it so far and can't think of the last time a game had me this eager to get home from work to fire it up.

Last edited:

phil1987

Club Captain
Quick question from someone yet to play the game ... damn UK release lol

Are people finding many catches being taken by the WK or the slips? Watched a lot of the videos and not seen many catches taken behind

HAHA, i wrote something about this in another thread

There is absolutely no action at slip what so ever or even bat pad.

I have bowled 150+ overs in test mode and nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread