Don Bradman Cricket 14 - first impressions thread

I've started by playing a few test and shield casual matches to get a feel for the realism of the longer form with in the game....

At the start of a test match I would have thought that there might be three slips and a gully.

Great for the guys in the office, and me, to hear these stories-really makes them feel appreciated and helps spur them on to make it even better.

Does it make you happy to hear that every time I get out my couch is getting an absolute pounding? At least it hasn't been the bloody controller :p

Nah, I live on every moment. Every time a catch is dropped I'm down and every time I hit a six that adrenaline rush hits. It's actually crazy how realistic the ebbs and flows of emotions are

At the start of a test match I would have thought that there might be three slips and a gully.

Yep that's what I would have expected but I was just playing a test series I was 4/9 at the start of the match and they at best had 1 slip in place but removed the slip for one of the bowlers so there were no slips for most of the first 5 or 6 overs.

Loving the spin bowling. I've turned off the HUD and yet I'm bowling such nice and controlled spin. Bowled out aussies using spin for 137 runs in PRO mode. They were 60/1 at one stage.

Plays of the match:
1) Nohit Sharma came to bat, Mitchell bounced him and I went for the pull. Ball got too big and hit the gloves and lobbed towards first slip who ran forward to take a diving catch. :eek:
2) Ashwin came up the order as a pinch hitter and trying scooping one ball, was too late thus ball took a leading edge, hit the body of Ash and lobbed towards silly point who completed another awesome dismissal.

Thank you bigant, you guys have done so much great stuff with this game that bugs seem minor niggles in what otherwise is one of the greatest sports game :cheers

Very impressed with this game. The level of control on each aspect of the game is something else.

That said, I am terrible at this game. After 3 days of match practice, I seem to have gotten the pace bowling down. I only give away 1-2 boundaries an over. Spin bowling is a disaster. I get hit for a minimum of 3-4 boundaries each over. I set fielding to assisted since I was dropping every catch coming my way.

Now batting, that is something I have no idea whats going on. The controller seems to have a mind of its own. I do the correct things in order, set front foot, press button for aggressive shot; and then RS for shot direction only to see my batsman leave the ball alone and take the bails off or get lbw. So far the most I have scored in a T10 match is 14 all out

Very impressed with this game. The level of control on each aspect of the game is something else.

That said, I am terrible at this game. After 3 days of match practice, I seem to have gotten the pace bowling down. I only give away 1-2 boundaries an over. Spin bowling is a disaster. I get hit for a minimum of 3-4 boundaries each over. I set fielding to assisted since I was dropping every catch coming my way.

Now batting, that is something I have no idea whats going on. The controller seems to have a mind of its own. I do the correct things in order, set front foot, press button for aggressive shot; and then RS for shot direction only to see my batsman leave the ball alone and take the bails off or get lbw. So far the most I have scored in a T10 match is 14 all out

Make sure you don't accidentally press down on the right stick. This will make the batsman leave the ball. I was doing this all the time in the CA nets to start with.

Last edited:
How are the fields in tests guys? Im presuming if no slips etc its hard to rotate strke as most gaps are plugged.

Is there no option to save custom fields in real time during a match? Its a real pain to set fields manually for each bowler. I know i can save the fields in the academy but isnt there some realtime solution?

My first impression as a gamer who haven't spent much time in CA :

'Legend Continues', the caption of this title is just as apt as this game to be precise.

Like already posted in career thread, I never felt so good to make that 1 Run count for my team. Definitely not a game to close your eyes and smash around in few hours. Haven't tried the bowling yet as my career player is a batsman, but it just required patience & proper strategy to work out well for your gameplay. This impression is based on 1 year of career mode, it makes you to be alert on every single delivery you are in action. Even slight change of focus while playing, you will miss to trigger the footwork and it will get you OUT! And no coming back! :)

Level : Pro
Experience : 800+( 2nd year in Career )
My Ratings from initial hands-On : 8/10

With that being said, some major turn offs - moments that made to curse Ross & the game.

1) Super natural fielding, I even had fielders running from long off to long on taking the one handed catches. This was irritating me, because my main purpose to loft the shots in no man's land was to strategically get the runs. I dont like this superman kind of fielding. It spoils the fun sometimes.

2) canceling the run is not making the batsman to slide his bat, this got me run out couple of times where I just jumped on my seat cursing the game. :p

3) Direct hits even from boundaries - this is spoiling the tense moment of having risky additional run. It always makes me to cancel that one more run under pressure.

Well, going to continue playing. THANK YOU @BigAntStudios;

nearly seen all the videos on youtube but i have not yet seen anyone play the helicopter shot (only if it exists) and no sledging again only if it exists in the game. i would requst some to play and do both thanks gus.

Just had an awesome match against Ai on pro. This match really goes to show that you just can't drop your guard in this game.

Pakistan had made 137/9 in their 20 overs (Each delivery Bowled personally by me) and their innings was full of drama. Their top order were off to a flying start scoring well above 10 runs an over. My team looked down and out. Then the spinners came onto bowl and immediately they put the brakes on Pakistani batting. That I think put pressure on their batsmen and they started to panic...hitting shots in the air and getting run out. Jadeja specially bowled beautifully and got some important wickets too.

The right at the end when I thought I would bowl Pakistan out cheaply their last two batsmen stuck in and had a wonderful partnership. They added 29 important runs (at that time I didn't feel they were that important though as I still thought I had a score I can chase easily).

I got off to a decent start with the opening over giving me 12 runs. Unfortunately lost Tendulkar to a silly run out. The next partnership was good though and eventually after a couple of wickets and few easy overs the score reached 94 for 3 within I think in roughly 11 overs. I needed 44 runs off 55 deliveries with 7 wickets in hand and the batsmen playing well. I thought this was in the bag and immediately started thinking what I would play after this game etc and then thought why not try some new shots....

BIG MISTAKE!!!!!!!

The end result can easily be seen through these pics:

evyvyqug.jpg

3e2upetu.jpg

ezu3asa6.jpg

It was a cracker of a match and I must have played the match for 2 hours or so and yet I didn't realize how quickly time flew by. If such matches cannot tell you how awesome this game really is...then nothing will. It was easily the best game I have ever played in a cricket game.

I also had some pretty cool moments in the game. Bowled some pretty cool deliveries, played some great shots at difficult times, had a top edge from a pull shot fly towards fine leg, had a ball hit my thigh pad then vanish inside my pads and then falling inches away from the stumps. What an awesome time I had with this game today.

Here are a couple of videos as well of two deliveries that I really enjoyed. They looked so damn realistic too:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi can someone who has the game answer me a couple of questions?

1. Do you see many defensive prods that turn into quick singles?

2. Do you see many wickets that are caught behind by the keeper or slips? Most wickets i have seen are caught on the outfield, lbw or bowled....

well played the game for almost all day today
mostly played career mode
i have been bowling too good on pro but batting is a bit of problem

anyways was always looking forward or MP only
and sorry to say but online is horrible
unable to understand what is happening there
i am playing defensive shots and the game shows i am out although even replay shows i played a defensive shot
the ball keeps on teleporting here and there and lag is horrible
sorry to say but i guess online is broke:mad:mad:noway:noway

still early days though dunno it might get fixed
really looking forward to that

nearly seen all the videos on youtube but i have not yet seen anyone play the helicopter shot (only if it exists) and no sledging again only if it exists in the game. i would requst some to play and do both thanks gus.

The helicopter shot exists neither in reality nor, hopefully, in the game.
It's just a shot with a curtailed follow through, similar to how the golfer Arnold Palmer use to finish his follow through on occasion.

Last edited:
The helicopter shop exists neither in reality nor, hopefully, in the game.
It's just a shot with a curtailed follow through, similar to how the golfer Arnold Palmer use to finish his follow through on occasion.

its helicopter shot not shop but what about sledging

Users who are viewing this thread