Cricket Leagues for Dummies (and new members)

Ahmad94

Staff Member
PAK...
KK
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Greetings all. I have been procrastinating for the last day or so, and have perfected some rankings formulae for those of you obsessive enough to create player rankings for your leagues.

I used the Legends At Battle league by @VC the slogger to test the formulae, and I'm pleased to say that they spit out good results:

Furthermore, these rankings systems can be applied to all forms of cricket, owing to the way that they balance the importance of strike rate and average; strike rate and economy respectively.

If you wish to use these formulae, then here's a spreadsheet for you to get your teeth into:

This is amazing. Surprisingly, exactly what I was looking for.

Recently, I was stalking @VC the slogger 's ELA thread and got a bit too aspired by the stats on it. I have nearly completed the stats for all player throughout the PSL- just the last few games left. This is really useful and seems pretty unbiased. Mind if I use it for some stats in my league?

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
PlanetCricket Award Winner
This is amazing. Surprisingly, exactly what I was looking for.

Recently, I was stalking @VC the slogger 's ELA thread and got a bit too aspired by the stats on it. I have nearly completed the stats for all player throughout the PSL- just the last few games left. This is really useful and seems pretty unbiased. Mind if I use it for some stats in my league?

By all means.

For limited overs games, it generally throws up ratings that are more in favour of batsmen than bowlers, but one-day cricket is a batsman's game after all

Ahmad94

Staff Member
PAK...
KK
Just tested it out with the stats for all games in my league. And the results are very good indeed.

Attachments

• RatingPointsBatting.png
    RatingPointsBatting.png
    14.4 KB · Views: 206
Last edited by a moderator:

Aislabie

Ireland
Wow, that really has flagged up the best batsmen at winning cricket matches!

Aislabie

Ireland
As I'm planning to use these formulae for a quite important project, I'm going to pull them from the public domain. I've also made some improvements which make them more representative.

Should anyone want to use them for their own leagues, then please contact me.
An update regarding the rankings system I put up here

Dipak

ICC Board Member
If we're talking about test ratings in cricsim, I was really happy with my LVCC ratings, I uploaded them somewhere, don't exactly remmebr where. I think it's in the LVCC thread.

Aislabie

Ireland
If we're talking about test ratings in cricsim, I was really happy with my LVCC ratings, I uploaded them somewhere, don't exactly remmebr where. I think it's in the LVCC thread.
This is more of a ranking system which I use as an alternative to the Reliance ones

nathanhatchett

School Cricketer
Thanks for this thread, your naming tool to resize photo is not bad actually, as my operations of Mac and Windows are both compatible with it. FYI, previously I can only do this works on my Windows with photo watermark, though it always works fine on Windows. But it can't work on my Mac system. This turns me down for a while until today I see your post. :)

Perfect Square

No Corners
PAK...
CSK
LQ
MS
Sydney Sixers
Brisbane Heat
Birmingham Phoenix
The Boys
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Quick question: How does this Cricket Leagues work? Do you need a simulator installed on your PC to participate?
Yes there are many Simulators which are used to simulate Cricket Matches and there are many league managed by some members and other members participate in it and the league manager sims the matches of its league etc.

Grumpy

Banned
Yes there are many Simulators which are used to simulate Cricket Matches and there are many league managed by some members and other members participate in it and the league manager sims the matches of its league etc.
Sounds interesting! How do you score runs then, or get wickets? Does your activity in the Simulator determine your runs scored etc. For instance.. If I'm more active, do I score more runs?

Perfect Square

No Corners
PAK...
CSK
LQ
MS
Sydney Sixers
Brisbane Heat
Birmingham Phoenix
The Boys
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Sounds interesting! How do you score runs then, or get wickets? Does your activity in the Simulator determine your runs scored etc. For instance.. If I'm more active, do I score more runs?
You don't need to score runs or takes wicket actually you need to pick a team from a league and there will be fixtures of that league.The squad of your teams and rules will be made by the league manager etc and he league manager will ask you to post your team's line-up and after that he will simulate your playing XI team and he will post then you just have to see the stats, scorecard etc.Thus, you just have to wait, watch and relax.

AliB

ICC President
India
AFG...
Mumbai Indians
Adelaide Strikers
X Rebels
I know I am not a Staff Member but writing a few guidelines for League Managers on the request of @Saroj padhy as an addition for
Managing a League

The things that matter:
  • Good grammar and language: It's difficult to over-state how important this is. If you take the time to proof-read what you post, and to articulate things clearly, your league will run far more smoothly. You may want to send what you've written to a more experienced manager for some feedback. If you ignore this step, it can lead to confusion and misunderstandings that will not help your league to be a success.
  • Being a familiar face: If you want experienced managers to take part in your leagues, it helps to be one yourself. Most members who create leagues before familiarising themselves with the sections simply won't get enough managers. This is partly because they don't know you, and partly because your league will fall foul of other issues. It's as simple as that.
  • One thing at a time: If you want to run two leagues at once, don't. I've tried it before, and although I just about managed, neither league really got the time it deserved. Some other members have managed to pull it off, but it is not sustainable. Far better to have one good league than two crap ones.
  • Stick at it: If you're changing leagues every two days, then the members of the forum will lose patience very quickly. If I sign up to a Kiwi Premier League, and two days later it turns into a Tri-Nations Tournament, then I'm unlikely to sign up for the new league.
  • Make it presentable: A good league will always be tidy and organised. Good examples of this are my European league, and VC's CWG competition. If I open up a new league, and the index page is all in 24-point bold capitals, then I'm going to be killing that browsing tab with fire.
  • Choose the right sim for you: It will depend on what kind of league you're running as to which simulator you use. Most common are Cricket Heroes (which provides accurate results, but costs money), Syedur Rahman's Cricksim (which will produce good results with the right input values), and PCCS (which is a free T20 simulator). Also make sure that you learn how to use a sim before you start the league.
  • Get your own idea: The best leagues always have a good idea behind them. The best exponent of this is VC, whose leagues include the Commonwealth Games, World Cup Rewind, and PlanetCricket Ashes. However, you don't have to be as creative as that - in its hayday, this forum had Premier Leagues from different countries (Australia, England, New Zealand, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Zimbabwe and more) that made up the majority of what went on. Duplicate leagues are rarely successful.
Things that don't:
  • Graphics: So you might be really keen to get all of the best graphics from around the forum and putting them into your league, but at the end of the day, that's just window-dressing. As I said earlier, as long as you're organised, it won't actually matter if you have little or nothing in the way of graphics. For instance, my PCFTP league built up a following without any graphics, and my recent projects [1] [2] had nothing more than a simple logo I made in PowerPoint in five minutes.
  • Size: While you might think it's a good idea to start up a 20-team league, I can tell you that it probably isn't. When I tried, it ended in failure, and I've only ever seen two managers do it successfully - @VC the slogger and @Iridium. You would be far better off to create a smaller league. One of my more popular leagues contained only three teams at a time.
  • Fitting in: Don't start a league here just because all the cool kids are doing it - do it because you have an idea that you genuinely want to pursue. Most of the good leagues in this section are something that the league manager would actually like to see happen - like @CG123 wanting a NZPL, like @VC the slogger wanting cricket in the Commonwealth Games, and like all of us wanting to play cricket at the best level possible.
How to do it:
How not to do it:
  • It would be harsh (but easy) to pick out a league currently running for this section, but to be tactful I'll pick out a slightly older league. The manager of that league has learnt a lot since then, but would have been better to learn before he tried to run a league.
- - - - - - - - - -

Drafts:
*I usually don't prefer drafts rather going with the default squads or if it's national team based league then drafts don't come into account but still you want drafts to to take place in your league, keep these basics in mind (Assuming an Indian League with 15 members each):
  • First of all announce a time to start the drafts (12-15 hours in advance recommended) followed by a form mentioning the players to be chosen in the drafts.
  • Secondly, don't straight away give 2 locals and 2 overseas at a time. Splitting your drafts of 15 players in 10 rounds should be ideal with first setting the local(Indian) players one in each round and then two in the final round. Give some time for the managers to start the Overseas(Players with Other nationality except Indian) draft. One in each round should be fine. You should give equal chances to all.
  • It's recommended to provide a player list like this. It will help the managers to get the players easily and any player out of the player list to be considered as invalid.
  • It's also recommended to keep a deadline of 24 hours after each round - if a team fails to submit its picks in the deadline then team will get a randomized pick for the particular round.
  • Lastly, I'd like to say(as The Author said), Just don't start a league because you want one under your name but to aattract people with your attractive works on the presentation. If you want to know about how a league should be - just pop into any of the leagues of @The Author @VC the slogger @Raghu and some more burt they have left PC now-a-days.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread