ICC Cricket World Cup - May/July 2019

Who will be crowned the ODI World Champion?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
South Africa down and out. Up next is Newzeland. Lets cherish today's victory. Well played Pakistan. It was certainly good team effort :)

Pakistan's issues are deeply rooted in their mindset echoed by their colour commentator Rajaji. When Mark Nicholas asked him on air today whether Pakistan's World Cup was solely based on beating India, he concurred. Rajaji might be a commentator now, but he is also an ex player of pedigree and an ex captain who was a World Cup winner unlike Cockroach Manjerekar. If someone asked me, or any India cricket fan to swap our WC record with Pakistan for 5 more world cups, we would merrily accept.

South Africa have been truly shocking in this World Cup. For a side that were considered to be high quality across decades, they've hit possibly their worst ever low in cricket history. And I am pretty confident even an ABD could've not saved them here.

I think the likes of Amla, Miller, Duminy (he's leaving anyways), etc. need to leave. Even Tahir needs to move on. He has not done bad but its high time SA invest in new young blood. Wonder where is Heinrich Klassen? Guys like him need to be in and given opportunities over the likes of Miller. I think Markram or DeKock should get full time captaincy. After such a disastrous WC, there is no way in the world that Faf can keep his captaincy.

Hope South Africa come out of this and rebuild and get back their mojo.

South Africa have been truly shocking in this World Cup. For a side that were considered to be high quality across decades, they've hit possibly their worst ever low in cricket history. And I am pretty confident even an ABD could've not saved them here.

I think the likes of Amla, Miller, Duminy (he's leaving anyways), etc. need to leave. Even Tahir needs to move on. He has not done bad but its high time SA invest in new young blood. Wonder where is Heinrich Klassen? Guys like him need to be in and given opportunities over the likes of Miller. I think Markram or DeKock should get full time captaincy. After such a disastrous WC, there is no way in the world that Faf can keep his captaincy.

They definitely need a major rebuild with that batting lineup. There’s so much talent like Malan, de Bruyn, Qeshile, Ackerman, Verreynne and Hamza to cite a few names that should receive a lot more consideration over the next year. On the bowling front, players like Fortuin, Potgieter, Nortje, Sipamla and Mulder should all be a major part in the future. They have a comparatively brighter crop of players below the age of 25 and should be looking to prefer them rather than try to include uncapped players in the age group of 28-30 for the sake of ‘maturity’.

There is always the issue of quotas and the threat of Kolpak to deal with, although Brexit might prove beneficial in closing that door. If CSA can also get their finances in order with better tour scheduling and the new T20 league generating revenue, they might have a much better player pool in the future.

Not sure if Faf should be sacked though, Markram looks nowhere near ready to even be a part of the playing XI in ODIs and despite his previous experience as a WC winning captain, should focus on fully establishing himself in the side like he has done in tests. I would personally do everything to also keep Faf actively playing international cricket, he’s still a world-class batsman and is also a fantastic fielder and was one of the best captains in the world just a year or two ago.

Agree on the presence of too many ‘deadweights’ in the team, Amla has been looking way past it for more than a year now and Miller’s last good performance was several months ago versus the Aussies. Quota or no quota, I think Duminy would have been in the side over the years due to the ‘untapped’ potential that their selectors seem to believe he has, a bit like how the Marsh brothers have been played in tests only because the selectors keep believing in them. South Africa deserves better players than what ifs like him.

We must appreciate Wahab's Yorkers here. He really reversed the ball and made an impact, He is the reason why we win a good margin of almost 50 runs. Great to see Wahab's pace and Yorker thing.

Oh, wait.
Expect a washout :p[DOUBLEPOST=1561348739][/DOUBLEPOST]
65584472_2386858361404930_5496230126402142208_n.jpg

64922743_896422507392736_6044675932315189248_n.jpg

Faf is leaving himself. I think Faf is a tremendous captain and leader actually. I will keep repeating that when you have rules to select people on colour, it's just disaster. Like you said, AB wouldn't have been the silver bullet but they would have been in with a shout with him around. His energy and aura alone is enough. At the moment, Qdk can't bat freely because he knows the lower middle order is wobbly and Faf has been unable to anchor because he's burdened with scoring freely. I have no doubt AB would have won them a couple of games by himself.

What SA can do is this-

Have Faf lead for another year in all formats while grooming a successor. Make/Beg him to play the T20 WC next year. Tell AB, he can have his final hurrah at the same event at the same place his dream was shattered. One last crack? No other burden of any other format!

Qdk
Faf
Ab

That's about as good a top 3 as you will get with your keeper and captain sorted. RVD has shown enough to be a part of the middle order and I think Morris, Rabada and Tahir are excellent T20 options as well along with Ngidi.

They just need to find 3-4 other guys and they look like an excellent T20 side.

Tell AB, he can have his final hurrah at the same event

This is like Sachin Tendulkar retiring and after Pakistan series he comes out and says I want to play Champions Trophy. Do you think BCCI would've allowed him ? No way !!!! And I see that your fanism in you is getting over you. Whose place do you think AB can take in the squad ? I don't even see him getting a place !!! Why do you would want to keep him when he left the team by himself and you already got a player to replace him ? Just because he was good when he played doesn't mean he can get an unnecessary advantage over other players !

You've got to say that Bangladesh have almost put Afghanistan out of this match. Such brilliant batting especially Mushfiqur Rahim !!! I think Bangladesh played way better then what India did. That is what happens when you have nothing to lose. Bangladesh don't care at all to lose to Afghanistan as they aren't a side that has achieved a lot in Cricket and the brand of fearless Cricket they play is just amazing !!

Tbh both MS Dhoni and Kedar Jadhav are poor strike rotators so those dot balls build a lot of pressure on them that is why they weren't able to find boundaries and get on top of the bowlers. Both of them need to sort out their strike rotation issue if India have to do better.

Users who are viewing this thread