Intercontinental Cup 2007/08

Chimp132

International Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
oh, well why arnt they playing against main odi teams then, theyre obviously good enough as they showed in the world cup

andrew_nixon

Chairman of Selectors
oh, well why arnt they playing against main odi teams then, theyre obviously good enough as they showed in the world cup

They have played against the main teams, in the World Cup, as you say. BUt they were far from good enough to compete with them. They're scheduled to play the West Indies at home next year. They did have a Twenty20 tournament against Pakistan, Sri Lanka and the West Indies pencilled in for this month, but that got cancelled.

Chimp132

International Cricketer
oh, well thats good in some ways, i actually thought they were pretty good in the world cup even thugh they lost alot of matches, got some good batsman, sort out their bowling and they could be a good one day team soon

they should play matches over in england or somewhere where theu do tornuments so that they get more experience, england would be a good place, they could atleast go in the pro40 or c&g (cant rember what its called)

andrew_nixon

Chairman of Selectors
they should play matches over in england or somewhere where theu do tornuments so that they get more experience, england would be a good place, they could atleast go in the pro40 or c&g (cant rember what its called)

That's a terrible idea. By most accounts, Ireland and Scotland lose money for playing in the Friends Provident Trophy, and with air fares and compensating employers for players taking a LOT of time off work, Canada would lose even more.

Chimp132

International Cricketer
canada are a better team though, win matches then get money back...

Almost_Austwick

International Captain
Canada are not the better team and I'd fear that they get soundly beaten in every game, much as Ireland and Scotland have this year.

Chimp132

International Cricketer
i dont really agree with that about canada geting soudly beatrern, they gace both england and new zeland a run for their money which is enough to impress me, england may not be the best odi team but to have canada get them in trouble is quite something for them.. and canada had a very good match v newzeland

Almost_Austwick

International Captain
We can argue this all night but instead of piggy backing off an established system they need to develop their own, which encourages home grown players and not ex pat Asians.

As for the world cup, well much like the FA cup every team is capable of causing an upset on the day, hence Ireland beating Pakistan. However it carries little weight in the long term and I still maintain that if Canada were to compete in the English structure they would get whipped consistently.

The Intercontinental cup is a great competition for them to be in and they'll learn far more from it then losing week in, week out.

Chimp132

International Cricketer
well we could argue about this for ages lol, i guess im always gonna think that canada should be playing odi cricket against main teams because of their performances in the last 2 world cups. i think they could atleast get somewhere in the england tornuments because if they can almost beak england and newzeland than they can surely beat someone like durham.

Simbazz

Chairman of Selectors
Canada are a developing team, and as much as it pains me to say, they seem to have a better set up than USA at this current time.

By no means are they anywhere near full International standards, heck, i don't even think they're half of what Ireland/Scotland are but they are improving, with knowledge on how good pitches are laid, and how good cricket it play, they are ahead of China, but that will change as China are fast developing from border to border.

USA are starting to try to get interest with one acadamy i know in California, and ive been lucky enough to visit it, and with my cousins going the frequently i hear quite a lot. They have facilities any school-boy cricketer would be happy with, which is a decent set up. The main thing is, you have to get the game popular amoung the fans first before trying to improve the International scene, and with Football (American) Baseball, Basketball and Soccer all capturing the eyes of both Americans and Canadians its hard for Cricket to squeeze in, but amoung a good percentage of people its a well watched game.

Only time will tell if sides like Canada/USA improve enough to challange the likes of England (Maybe it'd be a truer statement to say a team like NZ or India :p)

they could atleast get somewhere in the england tornuments because if they can almost beak england and newzeland than they can surely beat someone like durham.

As Andrew rightly said, these Canadian cricketers all will have jobs, and going away to England for 8 matches a year is going to seriously put strain on them. They'd probably be expected to pay for thier own ticket on the Plane, remember its all thier kit aswell so it'd be quiet expensive. It isn't possible for them to do what Ireland and Scotland do.

They do however have a series each year against USA and they have shown they have what it takes to qualify for the WC.

Last edited:

Almost_Austwick

International Captain
Canada's best player has (arguably) been John Davison and yet his first class stats are poor with a batting average of less than 20 and a bowling one of over 40 from 50 odd games (his list 'A' ones are better but still not out of this world) and he struggled to maintain a squad place. Although other players may develop over time it hardly bodes well for immediate future.

Like Andrew pointed out, Canada do play ODI against other full members but the schedule is hectic enough as it is without trying to squeeze in another 4 or 5 teams who will amount to little than warm up games. Leave them playing games against each other for now with the occasional big game, it's the best way for development.

Simbazz

Chairman of Selectors
Canada's Wicketkeeper is a good 'un. Ashish Bagai is Indian/Canadian and has an average of nearly 30 with the bat and is tidy behind the stumps. I'd say he is a typical "Asian," player with his technique, and i'd say his wicketkeeping style is that of Chris Read, slightly shy it seems, doesnt talk too much really but does make some good catches.

The captain for most matches, Mulla is a tidy batsmen, his stats dont flatter him, but hes a useful batsmen, and is a decent fielder who has experience behind the stumps. But yeah, Davison has been the best batsmen, probably ever for Canada.

They will improve, and so will all the other nations, but how quick, and if they're quick enough to catch up with improving test nations is yet to be seen.

andrew_nixon

Chairman of Selectors
Canada's Wicketkeeper is a good 'un. Ashish Bagai is Indian/Canadian and has an average of nearly 30 with the bat and is tidy behind the stumps. I'd say he is a typical "Asian," player with his technique, and i'd say his wicketkeeping style is that of Chris Read, slightly shy it seems, doesnt talk too much really but does make some good catches.

The captain for most matches, Mulla is a tidy batsmen, his stats dont flatter him, but hes a useful batsmen, and is a decent fielder who has experience behind the stumps. But yeah, Davison has been the best batsmen, probably ever for Canada.

They will improve, and so will all the other nations, but how quick, and if they're quick enough to catch up with improving test nations is yet to be seen.

All correct, with the exception of your rather strange claim that Asif Mulla is their captain for most matches. Up until recently it was Davison (who's Canada career is now over) and it's now Ashish Bagai.

Simbazz

Chairman of Selectors
Mulla has captained a few games for Canada unless ive seen wrong.

Ahh no infact I have gotten that wrong :p Mulla has never captain Canada and has just infact made his debut last year. See i do research but sometimes get mixed up ;)

In all fairness everything in that post i know from seeing, except the Mulla point, id read wrong the matches, he is infact used as a WK when Bagai cant be bothered :p Or is busy captaining.

Users who are viewing this thread