Draft: The Lasagne Draft

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Surprisingly not as much as you'd think:

ODI record against Full Members - 774 runs @ 40.73 (2 centuries, best 156) in 19 matches
ODI record against Associates - 1635 runs @ 45.41 (2 centuries, best 133) in 40 matches

So although most of his games have been all-Associate affairs, he doesn't fair any worse against Full Members.

very interesting, thanks! @DalePlaysCricket i take it all back!!

Bevab

Staff Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I've decided to let my heart rule over the mind this time and pick one of my favourite players of all-time in :aus::bat:Mike Hussey. The backbone of Australia's middle-order for eight years, Hussey was the type of player who would have thrived in the modern ODI as an accumulator cum finisher with the concentration required for the former and the ability to go big for the latter. This is not to say that he wasn't a great player in his time, on the contrary he had one of the highest averages in his era (albeit helped by the not outs due to him being the finisher on most occasions). The modern ODI team is best served by more players contributing fifties at a quick rate rather than one player building a century patiently and Hussey is one player who is unlikely to waste balls looking for the century. My side has been filled with right-handed batsmen until now and Hussey's presence will offer a much needed alternative.

In my side Hussey will normally bat at six replicating his partnership with Symonds in Australian colours and play a role similar to Carey where he keeps himself busy at the crease and scores the odd boundary alongside the sloggers in Symonds, Stephenson or one of the top four cashing in on a good innings but an early collapse could mean him coming out to bat sooner as the team's firefighter, a role he should be well suited to.

1. :eng: :wkb: Jonny Bairstow
  2. :aus: :ar: Shane Watson
  3. :saf: :ar: Clive Rice
  4. :wi: :ar: Viv Richards:c:
  5. :aus: :ar: Andrew Symonds
  6. :aus::bat:Mike Hussey
  7. :wi::ar:Franklyn Stephenson
  8. :ban: :ar: Naimur Rahman
  9. :sco: :ar: Moneeb Iqbal

10. :eng: :bwl: Monty Panesar
@ahmedleo414

Bevab

Staff Member
Surprisingly not as much as you'd think:

ODI record against Full Members - 774 runs @ 40.73 (2 centuries, best 156) in 19 matches
ODI record against Associates - 1635 runs @ 45.41 (2 centuries, best 133) in 40 matches

So although most of his games have been all-Associate affairs, he doesn't fair any worse against Full Members.

I believe he also has the highest ODI score ever by an Associate player in a World Cup which also happened to be the first Scottish WC hundred. A shame that we will never see it broken in the near future thanks to the global plan to grow cricket by the ICC.

ahmedleo414

The Butcher
PAK...
LQ
The Boys
Profile Flag
Canada
My next pick might be an odd one, maybe even controversial... I am going to have Saleem Malik as a wicketkeeper-batsman... wait a second, i hear you asking yourself... Saleem Malik as a wicketkeeper?

That's right, I had been looking for a good batsman wicketkeeper combo that wasn't already taken or wasn't in the rejected pile... during my research I came across a wiki entry that listed Saleem Malik played as a wicketkeeper for one match... i tried to look for the match and sure enough here it is... yes he has only played one match as a wicketkeeper.. but that's my choice... as for him being controversial... well.... I believe in second chances...

Here is a little bio from cricinfo:

"Saleem Malik was many things: a gifted, wristy, square-of-the-wicket batsman; the first man who really got on top of Shane Warne, in Pakistan in 1994-95; a fine overseas player for Essex (where he became known as "Slim") in 1991, if less so later; and an influential captain of Pakistan."

ODI Stats:

Matches: 283
Runs: 7170
HS: 102
Ave: 32.88
Catches as keeper: 1
Catches in total: 81

List A Stats:
Matches: 426
Runs: 11856
HS: 138
Ave: 36.59
Catches as keeper: 1
Catches in total: 141

My Team

1. :eng: :bat: Graham Gooch
2. :wi: :bat: Desmond Haynes
3. :aus: :bat: Ricky Ponting :c: (P)
4. :ber: :bat: James Celestine (L)
5. :pak: :wkb: Saleem Malik
6.:pak: :ar: Imran Khan (L)
8. :nzf: :ar: Daniel Vettori
9. :zim: :ar: Mluleki Nkala (L)
10. :eng: :bwl: Darren Gough
11. :ban: :bwl: Mustafizur Rahman (L)

@CerealKiller your pick next

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
I've decided to let my heart rule over the mind this time and pick one of my favourite players of all-time in :aus: :bat: Mike Hussey.
Yeah, you picked the player I had in mind.

I wasn't sure about picking him up because he didn't bat at four all that often, but I'd decided on him. For some reason, I decided he'd be less likely to get picked than Barry Richards because people had been picking lots of 20th Century players

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
My next pick, and captain, will be the newly knighted Sir Clive Lloyd. Apart from admirably marshalling his troops, he was an accomplished batsman (and reliable 6th bowler) himself, as shown by his Test batting average of 46, and ODI average of 39. His most famous and best innings is the century in the 1975 World Cup final.

CerealKiller’s XI
1. :eng: :bat: Sam Hain
2. :nzf: :bat: Martin Crowe
4. :pak: :bat: Javed Miandad
5. :wi: :bat: Sir Clive Lloyd :c:
6. :nzf: :ar: Chris Cairns
7. :pak: :ar: Wasim Akram
8. :eng: :wk: Tim Ambrose
9. :nzf: :ar: John Bracewell
10. :saf: :bwl: Makhaya Ntini
11. :nzf: :bwl: Chris Martin

@El Loco

Bevab

Staff Member
Yeah, you picked the player I had in mind.

I wasn't sure about picking him up because he didn't bat at four all that often, but I'd decided on him. For some reason, I decided he'd be less likely to get picked than Barry Richards because people had been picking lots of 20th Century players

I had Hussey on my list once Buttler was taken and was of the same belief that he would go under the radar until the very last rounds. It was only when I was checking his career history that it had occured to me that the player you were thinking of was Hussey because of the Northants link.

Hussey at four would have certainly been interesting. I don't think he has a really big OD century in his career and I haven't looked at where he played in domestic cricket but he does have the ideal skill set to play in the top order and would have arguably played there for any other country but Australia. As an example, he used to play as an opener for Chennai alongside Vijay (back when he was an enterprising opener and not the stonewall defender he is known as today) as the more steady partner.

Aislabie

Ireland
I had Hussey on my list once Buttler was taken and was of the same belief that he would go under the radar until the very last rounds. It was only when I was checking his career history that it had occured to me that the player you were thinking of was Hussey because of the Northants link.

Hussey at four would have certainly been interesting. I don't think he has a really big OD century in his career and I haven't looked at where he played in domestic cricket but he does have the ideal skill set to play in the top order and would have arguably played there for any other country but Australia. As an example, he used to play as an opener for Chennai alongside Vijay (back when he was an enterprising opener and not the stonewall defender he is known as today) as the more steady partner.

Yeah, he did score an ODI hundred at four but hardly ever batted there. He never scored any really huge one-day scores - his 123 against Scotland in the first county game I ever saw was his highest - but he was more than capable of making them. He had a fantastic set of skills; how many opening batsmen average over 100 at a run a ball at number seven in ODIs? He was also an outstanding fielder, who is unfairly remembered for losing a skier in the sun one time in the Ashes.

That's really frustrating though as I've lost all three of the Aussies I was considering for number four and might now have to be more creative.

El Loco

PCPF Mod Chief Superintendent
ENG....
What makes this pick all the more remarkable is that this man still had the career that he did despite having to go through two knee surgeries. The mop-haired, silent but mean paceman was more or less the only spearhead of England's attack for most of the 70s despite having to play while in constant pain.
Up next is Bob Willis.

1. :wi: :bat: Gordon Greenidge
2. :nz: :bat: Glenn Turner
3. :aus: :bat: Dean Jones
4. :saf: :wkb: AB de Villiers
5. :saf: :ar: JP Duminy
6. :eng: :bat: Mike Brearley
7. :zim: :ar: Malcolm Waller
9. :nz: :bwl: Shane Bond
10. :eng: :bwl: Bob Willis
11. :pak: :bwl: Shoaib Akhtar

@Yash.

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
My next pick is Neal Radford.

Here's what his cricinfo profile says..

In his first season he took 101 wickets - the most in the country - and was named the Cricketers' Association Cricketer of the Year. His good form continued into 1986 and he was drafted into the England side for the third Test against India at Edgbaston. Although he was retained for the next match - against New Zealand at Lord's - he failed to impress and was discarded. His solid county form continued - he was named one of Wisden's Five Cricketers of the Year in 1986 - and in 1987 he again took 100 wickets, securing a place on that winter's tour of New Zealand and Australia.

Some of his stats are-

List A - 351 Matches 484 Wickets @ 23.28 Best 7/19
First Class - 296 Matches 994 Wickets @ 26.86 Best 9/70

Although he didn't succeed in ODIs for England, he was a really impressive bowler in the Domestic scene.[DOUBLEPOST=1586327305][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, Eoin Morgan is my WK. He has played 2 international matches as a wicket keeper.

@blockerdave[DOUBLEPOST=1586327362][/DOUBLEPOST]
  1. :eng: :bat: Jason Roy
  2. :ind: :bat: Shubman Gill
  3. :pak: :bat: Zaheer Abbas
  4. :aus: :ar: Darren Lehmann
  5. :eng: :wk: Eoin Morgan
  6. :wi: :ar: Sir Garry Sobers

7. :eng: :ar: Jamie Dalrymple
  8. :eng: :bwl: Neal Radford
  9. :saf: :bwl: Allan Donald
  10. :ind: :bwl: Yuzvendra Chahal

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Ted Dexter, attacking batsman, useful medium bowler and the first innovative captain of the List A era, his tactics were credited for a lot of Sussex's success in the early years of the one day game in England.

Above all we had Dexter's captaincy. One-day cricket was his kind of game: it was instant and aggressive and its atmosphere brought out the best in him. He really became involved, more so than in county games. He even made a marked difference to our one day performances when he returned for a season of Sunday League games in the early 1970s.

John Snow

Dexter played just 43 List A games but scored over 1200 runs at 33, and took 21 wickets at 19.85 but his high economy rate for the era and my plethora of other options means he's not likely to bowl much.

This gives me a powerful and adaptable top 5 with Bevan the finisher and a decent lower middle order (if i get my keeper). Plenty of bowling options too. Hussain can stand at fine leg and try not to get in the way.

1. Dennis Amiss
  2. Basil D'Oliveira
  3. Steve Tikolo
  4. Ted Dexter
  5. Colin Bland
  6. Michael Bevan
  7. -
  8. Garth Le Roux
  9. Andre Botha
  10. Joel Garner
  11. Omer Hussain
[DOUBLEPOST=1586328292][/DOUBLEPOST]@Aislabie to go.

Aislabie

Ireland
Faf-du-plessis-1.jpg

My pick is :saf: :bat: Faf du Plessis

ODI stats
: 5,507 runs @ 47.47 (12 centuries, best 185) in 143 matches
List A stats: 9,483 runs @ 46.94 (21 centuries, best 185) and 54 wickets @ 37.59 (best 4/47) in 262 matches

So I'd made my decision. I knew who I wanted, right up until @Bevab picked Hussey, but it's okay because it turns out there's another overlooked and underrated player who could make a strong case for consideration as a one-day international great. Eleven of his twelve ODI centuries have come at number three, so I think I'll put him at three and shift Dravid to four; hopefully this'll not be an issue. This gives me an all-South African top three, which was never the plan but may in theory mean they work better together. Regardless, only one player left and things are looking pretty good.

@Aislabie 's XI so far:
1. :saf: :bat: Barry Richards
2. :saf: :bat: Herschelle Gibbs
3. :saf: :bat: Faf du Plessis
4. :ind: :wkb: Rahul Dravid (L)
5. :ned: :ar: Ryan ten Doeschate (L)
6. :eng: :ar: Andrew Flintoff (P)
7. :saf: :ar: Mike Procter
8. :afg: :ar: Rashid Khan
10. :pak: :bwl: Waqar Younis (L)
11. :zim: :bwl: Pommie Mbangwa (L)

@Na Maloom Afraad up next

Bevab

Staff Member
Faf-du-plessis-1.jpg

My pick is :saf: :bat: Faf du Plessis

ODI stats
: 5,507 runs @ 47.47 (12 centuries, best 185) in 143 matches
List A stats: 9,483 runs @ 46.94 (21 centuries, best 185) and 54 wickets @ 37.59 (best 4/47) in 262 matches

Pretty much who I expected you to go for. Faf gets an unfair reputation due to his underwhelming test career but he does have a solid white ball record.

I would actually move Dravid to five and have ten Doeschate at four. I remember Dravid playing at five during the late 90s and early 2000s as a finisher of sorts and he was quite nifty in that role, contrary to his reputation of a defensive wall. Plus, it also helps with reducing the workload on his keeping given that he isn't a natural keeper.

Users who are viewing this thread