MS
Melbourne Stars
Birmingham Phoenix
The Boys
Profile Flag
Australia
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Genuine question - how will sliders help if it's scripted? right now you could set bounce and shot force to 100, but the ball still won't carry. So what a different slider do? The issue is the scripting.

I'm not sure, I do know that AI seems way more responsive to my actions (career mode) when I bowl and bat compared to List A and first class cricket.

Wealey

ICC Board Member
Genuine question - how will sliders help if it's scripted? right now you could set bounce and shot force to 100, but the ball still won't carry. So what a different slider do? The issue is the scripting.

100% scripted. Bit like when the keeper slides to catch the ball off the spinner to collect the edge before the batsmen has even hit it!

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
100% scripted. Bit like when the keeper slides to catch the ball off the spinner to collect the edge before the batsmen has even hit it!
Yeah, I wanted to throw the query out but it does feel scripted. It doesn't look/sound mistimed and my mistimed lofted shots rarely seem to have drop safe. They are either not strong enough to clear the rope and get caught on the boundary, or are very mistimed and loop up with a fielder who is started in an illegal position running back to catch it. Which is a irritating.

I don't use the chip shot, apart from a couple of tries, but it would seem that because of the deep position of infielders it'd probably be worthless. Although I might give it a try and see if it does compare to this AI shot.

I don't necessarily mind the AI being having a certain advantage in some areas because I think the human player has more. But, when it looks like the AI is doing things we can't, it is frustrating.

Reactions: DAP

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I don't necessarily mind the AI being having a certain advantage in some areas because I think the human player has more. But, when it looks like the AI is doing things we can't, it is frustrating.

Yeah this is the key to me. The AI simply being able to do things we can't, or are prevented by scripting from having "natural" outcomes that we would have, then I think this becomes unacceptable. Basically you've hacked the AI because you couldn't design a good [enough] one.

Wealey

ICC Board Member
Yeah this is the key to me. The AI simply being able to do things we can't, or are prevented by scripting from having "natural" outcomes that we would have, then I think this becomes unacceptable. Basically you've hacked the AI because you couldn't design a good [enough] one.

Although I would say... most games or all games have some form of a scripting. Fifa being the worst!

Tom46851

School Cricketer
Is anyone else having an issue with CPU wicket keeping? I'm playing a test match and near every bouncer is going for 4 byes despite a lot of them being stoppable by the wicket keeper. I'm currently 91 overs in to my innings and there have been 160 byes!

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
Ok so I'm experimenting with the chip shot and it's actually really decent. Particularly in a power play, there doesn't seem to be as much risk as an aggressive/lofted shot. Although I mistimed several and lost wickets it is still my first time really giving it a try. One was a caught and bowled, one a looped up a pull shot that was caught by a boundary fielder running in. I can't remember the other.

It doesn't feel as consistent in the ability to fall five metres short of the deep fielder as I mentioned seeing from AI shots previously. It can fall a metres short of the rope. Unsuprisingly as soon as I mistime one outside of the powerplay it drops short and the fielder runs in to catch it instead of it bouncing five metres short.

I just had a great one. Ideal all the way but I played on the front foot to a backish length and smeared it waist high straight at the mid off. It was dropped but it felt like a legitmate bit of cricket.

Maybe what's missing from test matches is the AI playing these kind of shots - if that is in fact what they're doing. Although it might lead to them lofting over the top too much. So, if not the shot and the outcome in certain circumstances needs to be applied elsewhere. Perhaps the problem is that the punishment for mistiming needs to not involve power reductions. I feel like this must be why so many slip catches - particularly with spinners - drop short. There's not enough pace, there's lowish bounce and an edge/bad produces this weaker shot power so it goes into the ground instead of up in the air.

Be interested to see what others think from playing it RB+LT with the Xbox controller (R1+L2, I think for PS4).

Edit - just had another lofted drive playing front on a backish length and it flew to mid on and was caught this time.

Even though I'm on fully assisted fielding now it does feel as though the AI fielding will get to catches that my fielders will ignore or let bounce.

Last edited:

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
Additional to the above. It's not something I'm noticing for the first time, but it's perhaps highlighted a little more when trying out this shot is how wildly inconsistent some of the shots feel. You nail a pull and it'll loft up halfway between the boundary and inner circle whereas cover drives will consistently get to the rope. Could be the player skill but still feels unbalanced. Lofted on drives, probably straight and off too, also seem to get a lot more elevation than other shots.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Ok so I'm experimenting with the chip shot and it's actually really decent. Particularly in a power play, there doesn't seem to be as much risk as an aggressive/lofted shot. Although I mistimed several and lost wickets it is still my first time really giving it a try. One was a caught and bowled, one a looped up a pull shot that was caught by a boundary fielder running in. I can't remember the other.

It doesn't feel as consistent in the ability to fall five metres short of the deep fielder as I mentioned seeing from AI shots previously. It can fall a metres short of the rope. Unsuprisingly as soon as I mistime one outside of the powerplay it drops short and the fielder runs in to catch it instead of it bouncing five metres short.

I just had a great one. Ideal all the way but I played on the front foot to a backish length and smeared it waist high straight at the mid off. It was dropped but it felt like a legitmate bit of cricket.

Maybe what's missing from test matches is the AI playing these kind of shots - if that is in fact what they're doing. Although it might lead to them lofting over the top too much. So, if not the shot and the outcome in certain circumstances needs to be applied elsewhere. Perhaps the problem is that the punishment for mistiming needs to not involve power reductions. I feel like this must be why so many slip catches - particularly with spinners - drop short. There's not enough pace, there's lowish bounce and an edge/bad produces this weaker shot power so it goes into the ground instead of up in the air.

Be interested to see what others think from playing it RB+LT with the Xbox controller (R1+L2, I think for PS4).

Edit - just had another lofted drive playing front on a backish length and it flew to mid on and was caught this time.

Even though I'm on fully assisted fielding now it does feel as though the AI fielding will get to catches that my fielders will ignore or let bounce.

how does one play the chip shot?

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I literally explain 3/4 of the way down :lol

It was a long post and I’m half a bottle of wine to the good.[DOUBLEPOST=1587491055][/DOUBLEPOST]
Although I would say... most games or all games have some form of a scripting. Fifa being the worst!

it’s not scripting per se that I’m against. (Though I always say, given the scripting, why wouldn’t they override the odd dismissal to say “hell, you haven’t had a top edged hook to fine leg in a while...) it’s specifically scripting in things that benefit the AI that the human has no recourse to.

Ashy-90

Associate Captain
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
what i have noticed till now is the Tests and ODI's do well in terms of AI's mechanism .. But definately - T10, 5 overs, T20 (Limited Over Matches) have a 100% to be looked at ..
i request This to be Reviewed By Big_Ants Soon !

j4mehta

Club Cricketer
Anyone else facing issues setting custom sliders for local multiplayer games? Specifically, I haven't been able to edit things like "pitch/ball marker display time" and get it to work in local multiplayer. However, the changes seem to apply in single player mode. I've tried doing it on both profiles, doing it in-game vs. out-of-game, starting a game single-player and then joining a new controller, etc. None of it seems to work.

I can post this in the Bugs thread as well, just wanted to poll folks here in the meantime to see if anyone else had hit this issue and/or figured out a solution. (A quick search on reddit or on this forum shows me the question has been raised in the past, but no one has answered it)

cc: @MattW @WealeyH

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
so, I’ve made a very conscious decision in my current match to play as close to default as possible physics wise. The only physics changes I’ve made are upping max pace to 55 (min is still 50), and bouncer length is reduced to 40. Everything else for physics is default.

AI is legend, striker timing 33, wicket chance 38 and run rate 34.

AI has batted well with lots of leaves and defence. Aggression has been from aggressive players or well set batsmen.

AI has ticked along at between 2.9 and 3.1 an over throughout.

Wickets have been 1 caught behind (convinced he didn’t hit it!), 2 lbw (1 dodgy, 1 plumb), 1 caught in the ring at forward square leg (1 dropped there also), 1 bat pad, 1 caught slip, 1 caught gully, 1 run out (wasn’t particularly dodgy, and had direct hit from a very good fielder).

I still think bounce is too high, there’s been ones going over the stumps from full length and certainly from “shorter” full, but the outcome has been very good: wouldn’t have got the ring catch if they hadn’t played a back foot pull to one that was too full!

Acid Burn

International Coach
Profile Flag
South Africa
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3

I hate the Scripting most , when we play Online, and BA decides for the next x amount of Balls you will have 200 % more probability to nick off.

We call it "Ross flicking the nick switch".

Its so noticeable , but very irritating.

In Some T20`s it never happens, but in most it does , resulting in the customary 3 quick wickets scenario each time around.

Users who are viewing this thread