Brian Lara Cricket 2007 Bugs

The_gas

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
barmyarmy said:
I'd call this a bug.
Umpires are useless at calling wides in Online Play. I had Gassy bowling about 9 foot outside off stump and 7 foot outside legstump, the commentators going 'great bowling' and the umpires letting it pass! (Note: Distances may be slightly exaggerated). ;)

Lol, if you move mate, you will get to it, outside offstump that is. :p

TrueTyke

School Cricketer
It's obvious the game hasn't been playtested for more than about 3 minutes. I got it on Friday, and having played it for an hour or so, the following are clear (Xbox 360 version):

The AI is shocking, making the single player games unplayable. In a 10 over match on test level, Kenya made 7-1 against me. No attempt at all to set any sort of a score or attack any of the bowling. Which generally makes the game far, far too easy, even at the (alleged) highest difficulty setting.

As others have said, the computer won't set defensive fields, even if you're going at 16+ an over. They won't really vary the bowling either, so the same shot will usually net you many runs per over in the same place.

Running between the wickets - the fielders are so slow, and the animation takes such a long time, there is basically a run every time you hit the ball, even if straight to a fielder 15 yards from the bat.

If it is a close run out, the batsmen usually make no attempt to hurry but with leisurly lower their bat into the crease. No attempt to even slide in... I know this was explained as a feature they actually incorporated to enable you to run for overthrows, but sensibly you'd just slide into the crease and turn, if you wanted to, a couple of yards further on. As in real life...

Overthrows. The ball will dribble to slip off the edge. Slip will pick it up and throw to the keeper from 5 yards away. Keeper will miss it and the ball will dribble away for overthrows. As both the keeper and bowler will refuse to chase after it, if there's not a fielder nearby you can run 2/3 runs on this every time.

On-line - no way to see your opponent's rating, so no idea how good they are. Seems to be no penalty for quitting a game, even if the opposition need 2 to win from 35 balls (as happened to me). No proper explanation in manual of how on-line World Cups etc work. No proper scoreboard for on-line games. No showing of how many points you won by winning said match. No obvious record of your wins and losses, runs scored/conceded etc. Cricket is so much about stats and they are important to the game. Pro Evo isn't great on-line, but at least it manages to get the basics right - this is just dreadful and embaressing.

Edges - there seem to be about two animations for edges, and the ball never just flies off a thin edge straight to the keeper - he always takes it one handed diving away from him. On that point too, logically the catching bar should give more margin for error on simple catches, and less on diving ones.

Others have said this too, but would it really have been so hard to properly model the bowling actions of the actual players? Especially the ones like Malinga/Tait who obviously have different actions to, say, Glenn McGrath.

Same point for the batting. Different batsmen play different shots better than others, and score well in different areas and on different types of pitches. Not here...

I can only hope Codemasters are planning on releasing a patch fairly quickly for the game, as it is obviously unfinished at the moment and that's a shame - the balance between batting and bowling is pretty good, and it is fun to play. The bugs and glitches just ruin it so quickly though.

Apologies for the length of this post (my first one too!) - I just wanted people to be clear that this is NOT a game worth buying in its current state. Brian Lara 2005 was far better, and that wasn't a great game by any means.

I just find it so hard to believe that after 2 years in the making, Codemasters couldn't get someone who knew anything about cricket to be involved with it and play test it. It would only take a few hours with someone who knew what they were doing to fix almost all of the above, and that would make the thing a much, much better game.

As it is, if you own 2005, I'd wait until the next version to buy another Brian Lara. Mine's going back to the shop first thing on Monday.

Punk_Sk8r

National Board President
The EA bug is here to not the bowling one.

I'm on about the running one where the cpu seems to lap itself. I was playing the cpu ran like 4 but on the 4th one the other batsman never moved and he was run out because both men were at the non-strikers end...

stret

School Cricketer
another bug that annoys me, first slip often ends up diving to stop the ball if the batsman misses it as the keeper decides he doesnt fancy it and just leaves it.

Last edited by a moderator:

TrueTyke

School Cricketer
The one with the keeper just watching the ball and the slip taking it is a pain, as the batsmen can always run a comfortable one while the slip lies on the floor, gently picks himself up and thinks about throwing it back in...

I have now finally seen a thin edge, but still can't work out why, off pace bowlers, most of them are loopy edges (which you would never see in real life really).

And finally, why do fielders refuse to dive/slide for balls, or even attempt to cut them off at the angle usually? It's so frustrating watching a ball trickle into the rope while a fielder jogs alongside it, or stands and watches from a couple of yards away...

paul1d

School Cricketer
not exactly a bug but what on earth is that ridiculous whooping noise that follows a bad shot or anything that goes past the bat,this game is no better than the first lara game on ps1,no stats no test series ,no time on test matches anyone seen any rain yet. :mad

Simbazz

Chairman of Selectors
stevie said:
Rain isn't in the game.

Is it just me or have we lost the ability to select the type of pitch before a match?
I believe it only happens on WC and CT warm ups, or i could be wrong actually as ive not yet played a game with a crappy no licensed team :p

TrueTyke

School Cricketer
It seems the game was only designed to allow to you to play a World Cup in single player mode - the other options were just tossed in as an afterthough (e.g. no proper test series, or even proper test matches).

However, as the AI can't cope with one day games (batsmen won't score quickly enough, fields set are nonsensical etc.) the World Cup is rubbish to play as well, even at test level.

I understand that it's probably been rushed out for the World Cup, but even an hour or two of play testing could have spotted everything noted in this forum. As much as I don't like EA cricket games, EA Cricket 2007 is infinitely better than this effort.

Cowburn199

International Coach
TrueTyke said:
I understand that it's probably been rushed out for the World Cup, but even an hour or two of play testing could have spotted everything noted in this forum. As much as I don't like EA cricket games, EA Cricket 2007 is infinitely better than this effort.
You can't blame it on the testers. For all we know they could've found all the bugs we have, told the developers but they couldn't be bothered to fix them.

TrueTyke

School Cricketer
I thought it was more likely that the testers were merely negligent/asleep in failing to spot these bugs than Codemasters were told of them and actively chose to ignore them and release an unfinished game anyway. You're right though, it may be that the developers simply ignored what they were told.

stret

School Cricketer
whilst the AI is very poor in one dayers, India have just scored 280-6 in a 30 over match against me (i skipped the innings btw, i prefer batting to bowling so decided to generate the innings)

i think this game is growing on me slightly

not really a bug but you should have to press a button for the bowler to start his run up when you are batting. i just got bowled because i wasnt looking and as it was against a spinner it was a short run up so by the time i looked at the screen the ball was in flight but i didnt have my pad in my hand! partly my fault i know, but i just think you should have to press a button.

another thing, again not a bug, during a long innings, a batsman's bat becomes 'dirty' anyone else noticed this?

i won the game mentioned above by 2 wickets! after a mid order collapse, justin kemp led me home with 123* (off 57 balls lol)

paul1d

School Cricketer
stevie said:
Rain isn't in the game.

Is it just me or have we lost the ability to select the type of pitch before a match?
blimey stevie surely rain ,pitch type and time in the game are the crucial parts of cricket,i think i,ll go back to playing owzat,all the hype and once again we been sold up short.Does anyone thinkwe will ever get a decent game.

pacers

School Cricketer
Another annoying bug.

In a 10 over World Cup, CPU simulated games end up with the team that bats second winning 95-100% of the time, no matter who is playing against who. This means the minnows progress deep into the tournament. I met Candada in the semis, and Scotland in the final of my WC. Not the exciting final I was hoping for.

Hooper

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I Cant beleive there is no "Leave-Ball Button", Hows a man suppose to play a Test Match and have to play at every sing ball??!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread