19th Match, Group F: West Indies v India at Bridgetown

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
I thought that was Sehwag. So thats you people's excuse. He is arrogant and everything is fine.

Sehwag is not arrogant he talks straight.

Sharma and Kohli are pricks. They will outdo Bhajji as well some day.

What will you call the players who stand their ground when some one has taken a clean blinder close to ground? They know that if referred upstairs chances are that due to camera being at a level above ground the catch may not clean clean and get benefit of doubt.

McLOVIN

Chairman of Selectors
I was gonna mention that.

Thats different. Because thats not questing the umpire. Thats questing the fielder, and fielders catch.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Umm... Flintoff, Hoggard, Harmison and Jones haven't bowled together since the 2005 Ashes, so that point is moot. England has been a very good Test side for a while. Besides, the fact that you are ignoring is that we still had to take 20 wickets on pitches that we are supposedly not good at bowling on. Which means are pace bowlers DID the job. That was one of your points of argument, IIRC, that our pace bowlers are toothless overseas.

- Firstly its by means a moot point that those 4 seamers didn't play in that test series. The fact that they didn't play made all the difference in that series.

Hoggard, Flintoff & Harmsion would definately have played in that 2007 series if it weren't for injury & India would never have won. As i mentioned to you before, when England toured Indian in 05/06 - Hoggard/Flintoff/Harmsion played & managed to draw a 3 test series.

After England's 2005 Ashes win. England have had a very avergae last 4 years until they won the Ashes last year. And one of the MAIN reasons for this decline is because as you correctly mentioned. The Ashes quartet never played again, Flintoff kept getting injured, Trescothick had his mential issues & inspirational skippper Vaughan's knees affected his batting & he was nver the same again. Eng even lost to the Windies. So its totally wrong to say England have been a good test side for a "while". Especially when IND toured in 2007.

- Secondly i did not descredit India's pace bowling performances during that England tour. I complimentend it. I am talking about RIGHT NOW. Currently it is clear the likes of RP Singh, Sharma, Sressanth are bowling crap. Only Zaheer is bowling well. This is clearly not a pace-attack capable of taking 20 wickets consistently overseas currently.

The series win in England was a series win. You can make up reasons for every series win but the fact of the matter is that India can make the same excuses for the other side of the coin (where we lost a series). "Sachin was injured" or "Anil was injured", etc. India, Australia, England, etc. are no Bangladesh or West Indies. A few players injured doesn't mean that they suddenly become pushovers. In fact, that 3 Test series ended up with 2 draws, which shows that it was pretty evenly contested. The first match, IIRC, went down to the last over.

I already explained above England's problems & why it was significant in that 2007 series, that IND series win againts that undestrenght ENG team meant nothing.

If a touring team had won in India back in the days with Harbhajan/Kumble out injured. Thus had to face Raju & Ashish Kapoor. Surely you woudn't rate that series win in India by that touring team very highly?

A 2-test series, IIRC. Besides, notice that I did not make any points about the ranking system, so I'm not sure why you're bringing it up. I'm not a proponent of the ICC ranking system. I don't believe India is the best team in the world. I think the top spot in Tests right now is very much up for grabs, which is why Test cricket is so exciting right now.

The only points I have issue with is your claims that India have been pathetic outside India, which is completely false.

- It was a 3 test series. 1st test @ Nagpur. 2nd test Ahmedabad (i think, i know Chawla made his debut in this test). Final test in Mumbai.

- I made points about the ranking system because those overseas series win that India had that you showed me. India became ranked # 1 today because they attained points by winning those series. So im showing you why the ranking systems many faults was exposed during that ENG series.

- I never said India "have been" pathetic overseas. I was never speaking about the past. I was always talking current & looking towards the future.

How many teams have won a series in Australia over the last decade or so? I can remember one off the top of my head--South Africa, who promptly got destroyed at home right after. How many teams have even won a Test match in Australia over the years? It's not as if India has been winning only dead rubber matches in Australia, either. In fact, the wins we've got on our last couple of tours there have been in active matches.

Yea yea i know India have done better in AUS than most teams in recent years. But it alwyas hasn't been that clear cut.

During that 2003 series. AUS had no McGrath/Warne, Gillespie played the entire series injured & Lee was crap test bowler back then. That attack of Bracken/Williams/Bichel/MacGill on some flat pitches didn't have the skills to trouble India's batsmen. So that series draw shouldn't be rated as highly as it has tended to be.

While in 07/08 although India won in Perth (a flat Perth pitch mind you). That was AUS first series in the post McWarne era. The bowling attack was in minor transition mode. Right now as you are well aware of AUS has a top-class battery of pacers ready to play tests. IND would be smoked if they tour AUS right now.

Finally, and this is not from a scoreline perspective but the actual series perspective. Along with the renewed Ashes rivalry (except for that 5-0 whitewash), the India-Australia series has been the most keenly contested series over this decade. Both teams have won their fair share of Test matches, home and away. Highlighting away, this shows that India have the ability to win overseas.

Yea. But the the last two IND vs AUS series where fairly dull to me, with AUS in trnasition modde during the 07/08 series. Then suffering a set of injuries to the pace attack during the 2008 tour to India.

But again, i never said India cant win overseas or never did it before. My point was that currently with the pace attack being crap, they certainly dont have ammunition to win overseas in AUS, SA & ENG.

Okay, so we aren't allowed to count matches where our opponents were injured. And we aren't allowed to count matches where our bowlers were in form? So are we just basically counting matches that India lost? Smells pretty strange to me.

HA. I dont know how you managed to derive this reasoning from that statement i made.

That point i made clealry proves my point that when the likes of RP Singh, Sharma, Sreesanth & even Patel where bowling well. India did manage to be dangerous in pace-bowler friendly overseas conditions. But except for Zaheer they all are crap now & clearly wont be able to take 20 wickets overseas currently.

Your insinuation that our bowling attack cannot take 20 wickets overseas is disproved every instance that we have actually won a Test match overseas, and there are more than people give us credit for. It's no contest that our pace attack is poor at home, but that's more a byproduct of our pitches than our bowler's skills. If conditions assist our pace bowlers, they can hold their own. They may not do it day in and day out, but the fact that they have got results speaks for itself, really.

Two years ago i'd agree that in helpul overseas conditions IND pacers could be dangerous. But not currently with the form RP Singh, Sreesanth, Sharma & Patel are in. Zaheer will have to do all the work.

Geez, what an overreaction based on a glut of Twenty20 matches! I believe I have already addressed most of these points. Our batting lineup, though ageing, has been in some of the best form in Test cricket. Why don't we concentrate on the fact that Test cricket is a whole different game?

Its not just a few T20 matches over the last year. Its also based on watching them bat in ODIs too over the years. Their techniques just look wrong for handling quality pace.

They all seem like they will follow in the steps of Yuvraj, instead of Dravid/Tendy. Badrinath is the only one that looks like he could handle pace ATS of their careers & as you know he is the FC veteran.

Can I see India doing well in South Africa later this year? Yes. When we last went there, pace was still South Africa's strong suit and they were beating most of their opponents. We lost the series 2-1 but we were still in the series going into the last match. I really can't see what you're basing your predictions off except for Twenty20 performances. Our top-order consists of Sehwag, Gambhir, Dravid, Tendulkar and Laxman. Of these, I'd say Sehwag is the most vulnerable against the moving ball although at the same time he can also take the edge off the bowling attack in one session. Gambhir's short-ball shortcomings have been common knowledge for a while now yet he has been plundering runs at an alarming rate in Test cricket. Dravid, Tendulkar and Laxman are class and their records speak for themselves.

South Africa are a a bit more solid right now especially as a pace attack than they where in 2006/07. Steyn for one was young raw talent in 2006/07 - now he is unidputed best fast bowler in the world.

The reason IND did well in 06/07 (winnign that test in JO'Burg i think) is because the pace attack was in form. As i keep saying currently that isn't the case. So that potential attacking weapon clearly wont be there.

I personally think Sehwag will fail in South Africa. That series will finally prove if Sehwag is true great or a ultimate flat-track bully.

Gambhir since he came back into the IND test team vs SRI 2008. Has plundered runs againts joke pace attacks & spinners on flat decks. He has yet to face a qualiyt pace attackin testing conditions - the tour to South Africa year end will be his first. Based on how Steyn/Morkel troubled him in the recent 2 test series in IND with thr around the aroudn the wicket angle - plus how he technique looked awful facign Roach/Taylor & Tait/Nannes recently. I struggle to see how he is going to make runs if the pitches in South Africa year end, are like what England encountered 5 months ago.

I only expect the ageing great trio & Bardinath to stand up consistently. Which will be tough even for those veterans againts a consistent pace barrage.

Because your original point was that we are pathetic in non-subcontinent conditions, which is obviously not true. Also the fact that we have struggled in the Windies in the recent past due to the extra bounce.

I watched the 2006 series in WI. All of those pitches where utter roads. It was only in final test in Jamaica had pace & the Indian batsmen where owned excpet for Dravid who is proven batsman.

I'm not even sure if IND can win in the windies currently if they have to face Roach/Taylor/Edwards/Bravo on bouncy like decks as we have seen Barbados during the T20 World Cup.

What is a "test match like circumstance in [...] T20s"? I contest that such a circumstance is in fact a figment of your imagination. I think you would struggle to find a batsman who plays better on a bowler-friendly pitch than on a flat track. That is quite contradictory--playing badly on a good pitch, isn't it?

- The way IND batsmen where bounced out & where ducking around vs AUS & WI pacers is the kind of testing you would see in a test match.

- All of the games great batsmen have been able to socre runs in bowler friendly conditions + flat decks. Thats what seprates Lara & Tendy from fla-track bullies like Yousuf & Sehwag.

And yes, you do need to see the current generation play Tests before making judgment calls on the death of Indian cricket. The flatness of our domestic tracks is not something that started yesterday... India has always been good for batsmen and spinners. Yet we have produced quality Test batsmen consistently.

Yea. But you have also produced alot crap batsmen consistently too. Look at the amount of joke openers that have played test for India that couldn't handle the pace. In my lifetime of watching cricket i have seen Das, Ganesh, Jaffer, Gandhi, Rahtour (spell check), Ramesh.

I dont mind waiting. One of Shama, Kohli Yuvraj, Panday, Tiwary, Pujara can very well int he next 5-10 years eradicate their vulnerability againts quality pace & become quality test batsmen. But right now i'm not convinced & they have alot of work to do.

But they never had to prove themselves in Twenty20 first, which requires you to attack short bowling. You make it sound like our batsmen can't play pace wherein it is only bounce that they cannot play. As I've said over and over again, you have the advantage in Test cricket if you have a major weakness in that if you have patience, you can tire the bowlers out. That's why it becomes a Test---it's a Test for the bowlers too because they can't just attack your weakness 90 overs a day. Sure, you will have a few awesome spells of bowling (such as Steyn's 6-for or Sreesanth's 6-for in that India-South Africa series) but the fact is that it's impossible to put up that sort of intensity for 5 straight days. As a fast bowler in a Twenty20 game, you can really bowl all out for all 4 overs without needing to save the energy for another day. That's the difference. In Test cricket you can wait out an intense spell of pace bowling as a Gambhir or Raina. In Twenty20 cricket, if you do that, you end up needing 2 runs a ball to win.

Quality fast bowling like what India will encounter in South Africa later this year can definately sustain the kind of aggressive bowling for more than 90 overs a day & over 5 days, as we saw in 4 over bursts during a T20 game. Just check the recent ENG vs SA test series & you will see that.

The young talented IND batsmen dont have the technique at this stage of their careers to handle that type of bowling in tests like the Dravid/Tendy/Laxman.

That is probably why Badrinath is in the test team ahead of all of them.

Last edited:

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
Maybe you didnt get me, but I was saying that we have come to expect teams to be perfect if they are ranked No. 1. That shouldnt be the case though. India are the best TEST team in the world for me, and deserve the no 1 spot
I know, I wasn't sidelining your point, but that idea. People shouldn't expect the number 1 team to be as dominant as Australia because in all sports around the world, there has not really been a team as dominant as the Aussies. The only one I can think off of the top of my head is the Celtics team that won something like 8 out of 10 NBA championships in a decade, but even then they were very much beatable. The Aussie team had a streak of something like 15-20 straight ODI victories and 15 straight Test match wins. They were a phenomenal team--a team for the ages. To expect that every generation is only going to lead to disappointments.

sohum added 7 Minutes and 19 Seconds later...

sohum is just making things awful here. IDK what he is trying to prove or what he is trying to cover. But there is no point in arguing. What Sharma did was wrong. End of story. I've seen many batsmen put their bat up when the fielders are shouting for LBW. And thats fine by the law. But if you are still given out, you cant just stand there and ask for a reply. Thats against the law, even if you're correct. Even that dumbass Harsha Bhoglallaay explained the whole thing while it was happening.
Honestly, it's everyone else who made a mountain out of a molehill. If you still don't know what I'm trying to say after I've repeated it about 15 times, maybe you should read what I'm saying. I'll summarize it for you in really simple bullets, here:

1. Rohit committed two actions that were worthy of being offenses: (a) he pointed to his arm and (b) he made the third-umpire gesture.
2. I saw no footage of Bowden give Rohit out before his gesticulating started. This suggests that they either (a) withheld that footage or (b) Bowden had expected Rohit to walk off.
3. Based on 2, 1(a) is an offense that batsmen commit all the time and 1(b) was over the line.
4. My point (two sentences at most) was targeted at someone who suggested that both 1(a) and 1(b) were "awful". I claimed that 1(a) happens all the time and 1(b) was awful.

Notice that my whole argument was based on 2. In my first or second post on this discussion, I said that if someone shows me video evidence that Bowden had in fact given Rohit out before his gesturing started, then both 1(a) and 1(b) were horrible offenses.

This "just because he is Indian your bashing him, if he was Oz or English, he would've got away with it" attitude is very annoyin. Just stop it
No one has actually said this. You're just trying to score some morality points.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
- Firstly its by means a moot point that those 4 seamers didn't play in that test series. The fact that they didn't play made all the difference in that series.
Your original point insinuated that all those players would have been playing, in which case England would have had a huge advantage. However, that was and is never going to happen.

Hoggard, Flintoff & Harmsion would definately have played in that 2007 series if it weren't for injury & India would never have won. As i mentioned to you before, when England toured Indian in 05/06 - Hoggard/Flintoff/Harmsion played & managed to draw a 3 test series.
I'm sorry, buddy, but I don't believe in fortune-telling. If you could so easily predict that "India would never have won" based on a few players, then I'm sure you would have predicted Zaheer's 6-for as well, right? Cricket isn't just about the right players showing up in their whites. That's why it's Test cricket. When Australia went with their all pace attack in the Perth test match last time we were down under, everyone expected India to have no chance to win. Tait was expected to bounce us out. In the end we won the game pretty comfortably. So forgive me, but I don't count hypotheticals as a valid argument.

After England's 2005 Ashes win. England have had a very avergae last 4 years until they won the Ashes last year. And one of the MAIN reasons for this decline is because as you correctly mentioned. The Ashes quartet never played again, Flintoff kept getting injured, Trescothick had his mential issues & inspirational skippper Vaughan's knees affected his batting & he was nver the same again. Eng even lost to the Windies. So its totally wrong to say England have been a good test side for a "while". Especially when IND toured in 2007.
Since The Ashes:
Lost 2-0 in Pakistan
Drew 1-1 in India
Drew 1-1 vs. Sri Lanka
Won 3-0 vs. Pakistan
Lost 5-0 in Australia
Won 3-0 vs. West Indies
Lost 1-0 vs. India

England had only dropped 1 Test at home since the 2005 Ashes and before the India series. They had drawn against the Lankans 1-1 and swept both Pakistan and West Indies. In fact, going into the India series, I believe England were unbeaten in their last 8 home Test matches.

Also, you're forgetting that you need 20 wickets to win a Test. And I can't see any major people missing from the England batting lineup. Certainly they should have been more used to the swinging ball than us.

- Secondly i did not descredit India's pace bowling performances during that England tour. I complimentend it. I am talking about RIGHT NOW. Currently it is clear the likes of RP Singh, Sharma, Sressanth are bowling crap. Only Zaheer is bowling well. This is clearly not a pace-attack capable of taking 20 wickets consistently overseas currently.
You're basing this on what? The last time you could see our pace bowlers bowl in a Test match outside the subcontinent was in New Zealand in early 2009. And back then, our pace bowlers performed pretty well on pitches that were clearly as flat as anything we've seen in India. So you're basing this on a glut of Twenty20 cricket and ODI cricket. Which I argue is completely baseless to determine how someone will perform in Test cricket. Unless RP, Ishant and Sreesanth have been secretly playing in underground series' outside India that I'm not aware of, your information is clearly not relevant.

If a touring team had won in India back in the days with Harbhajan/Kumble out injured. Thus had to face Raju & Ashish Kapoor. Surely you woudn't rate that series win in India by that touring team very highly?
Actually, any series win in India is pretty tough to achieve. It's not like Indian players are super-humans who never get injured at home. Since 2000, only 1 team has ever won a Test series in India--Australia. 2-3 teams have drawn series' (England, New Zealand, South Africa). Are you suggesting that in the 10-15 home series' we've had that we've never had an injury? If that's the case, maybe we deserve what we got for just being more healthy...

By the way, in the series that Australia won, we were missing Sachin for half the series. Sachin has also had a problem with his tennis elbow for a few years in the mid-2000s so he wasn't 100% fit, either, and missed a few matches here and there.

- I made points about the ranking system because those overseas series win that India had that you showed me. India became ranked # 1 today because they attained points by winning those series. So im showing you why the ranking systems many faults was exposed during that ENG series.
I have already made my position clear about the ranking system.

During that 2003 series. AUS had no McGrath/Warne, Gillespie played the entire series injured & Lee was crap test bowler back then. That attack of Bracken/Williams/Bichel/MacGill on some flat pitches didn't have the skills to trouble India's batsmen. So that series draw shouldn't be rated as highly as it has tended to be.
Yet a bowling lineup of Agarkar/Zaheer/Nehra/Irfan was expected to match up with the Aussie batsmen? Harbhajan only played one game in that series. The averages of those bowlers going into the series was 45/33/41/NA (Irfan was debuting). Not exactly world-beating. Yet we competed. Don't forget, either, that our batsmen had to bat in alien conditions. That seems to be one point that is always forgotten when people are making excuses with injuries. It's still a freaking away match.

While in 07/08 although India won in Perth (a flat Perth pitch mind you). That was AUS first series in the post McWarne era. The bowling attack was in minor transition mode. Right now as you are well aware of AUS has a top-class battery of pacers ready to play tests. IND would be smoked if they tour AUS right now.
Ah, here we jump into hypotheticals again! Certainly our batting line-up, which has plundered 30,000+ runs in all conditions, would fall down like 10-pins against the might of the Australian pace battery!

Yea. But the the last two IND vs AUS series where fairly dull to me, with AUS in trnasition modde during the 07/08 series. Then suffering a set of injuries to the pace attack during the 2008 tour to India.
Seems to me that Australia always seem to be in transition mode or injured when they play India and end up losing, drawing. Maybe they shouldn't break down at such important times. Are you telling me that over the last decade, India has just been lucky enough to always play the Aussie team when it is weak? That seems extremely coincidential--probably the BCCI, huh?

But again, i never said India cant win overseas or never did it before. My point was that currently with the pace attack being crap, they certainly dont have ammunition to win overseas in AUS, SA & ENG.
Yet, you're basing your argument on a bunch of Twenty20 cricket being played in the subcontinent.

HA. I dont know how you managed to derive this reasoning from that statement i made.

That point i made clealry proves my point that when the likes of RP Singh, Sharma, Sreesanth & even Patel where bowling well. India did manage to be dangerous in pace-bowler friendly overseas conditions. But except for Zaheer they all are crap now & clearly wont be able to take 20 wickets overseas currently.
Clearly, based on a bunch of Twenty20 cricket being played in the subcontinent.

Two years ago i'd agree that in helpul overseas conditions IND pacers could be dangerous. But not currently with the form RP Singh, Sreesanth, Sharma & Patel are in. Zaheer will have to do all the work.
You'd agree 2 years ago, yet our pace bowlers performed really well in New Zealand just a year back. Again, the form you're basing is off subcontinent cricket and Twenty20's. :clap

Its not just a few T20 matches over the last year. Its also based on watching them bat in ODIs too over the years. Their techniques just look wrong for handling quality pace.
Who says our ODI team is going to be filling our Test squad? Yuvraj played for years in the ODI squad before getting a break in the Test squad. Comparatively, players such as Gambhir, Vijay, etc. got their breaks in Test cricket based on Ranji performances. You may take Twenty20 and ODI performances into heavy consideration when picking your Tests squads, but thankfully the Indian selectors don't.

They all seem like they will follow in the steps of Yuvraj, instead of Dravid/Tendy. Badrinath is the only one that looks like he could handle pace ATS of their careers & as you know he is the FC veteran.
Ironic point, since Yuvi is the one player in our "new-age" batting line-up who actually prefers pace to spin.

The reason IND did well in 06/07 (winnign that test in JO'Burg i think) is because the pace attack was in form. As i keep saying currently that isn't the case. So that potential attacking weapon clearly wont be there.
Once again, your "form argument" is based on irrelevant cricket.

I personally think Sehwag will fail in South Africa. That series will finally prove if Sehwag is true great or a ultimate flat-track bully.
Sehwag has got centuries in Australia, South Africa, England, West Indies. The only non-subcontinental countries he hasn't scored a century in are New Zealand and Zimbabwe. He doesn't really need to prove himself to anyone just because he's such a unique and integral player.

Gambhir since he came back into the IND test team vs SRI 2008. Has plundered runs againts joke pace attacks & spinners on flat decks. He has yet to face a qualiyt pace attackin testing conditions - the tour to South Africa year end will be his first. Based on how Steyn/Morkel troubled him in the recent 2 test series in IND with thr around the aroudn the wicket angle - plus how he technique looked awful facign Roach/Taylor & Tait/Nannes recently. I struggle to see how he is going to make runs if the pitches in South Africa year end, are like what England encountered 5 months ago.
The Steyn/Morkel point is the only valid one, here. Roach/Taylor/Tait/Nannes in T20's--that point has been addressed a million times and if you haven't soaked it in yet, then there's not much point in repeating it.

The way IND batsmen where bounced out & where ducking around vs AUS & WI pacers is the kind of testing you would see in a test match.
Yup, but you won't need to score 10 RPO in a Test match. The only guy who was out to a short ball while not trying to score runs was Gambhir against the West Indies.

Quality fast bowling like what India will encounter in South Africa later this year can definately sustain the kind of aggressive bowling for more than 90 overs a day & over 5 days, as we saw in 4 over bursts during a T20 game. Just check the recent ENG vs SA test series & you will see that.
I contend the point that any fast bowler can bowl 3-4 bouncers an over, like we saw in the Twenty20's, for 5 days straight without having their arms fall off.

The young talented IND batsmen dont have the technique at this stage of their careers to handle that type of bowling in tests like the Dravid/Tendy/Laxman.
And neither are they expected to. Players evolve over their careers. No one comes into Test cricket a finished batsman. Test cricket weeds out the guys who can be successful based on performances.

If you're really expecting guys out of domestic cricket to be as good as Dravid/Tendulkar/Laxman, you're being way too unfair. What if every young Aussie batsmen is expected to be as good as Ponting or every young Trinidadian to be as good as Lara? That's just not going to happen. Many of these players are once-in-a-generation players. They are not benchmarks, they are ceilings.

I think you will also find that we won't retire our middle order at the same time and will actually ease players into the fold.

--

All the points I didn't argue against, I agree with.

aditya123

National Board President
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
That series win againts England was againts an England team where our enitre bowling attack was out injured at the time. No Flintoff, Hoggard, Harmison, Jones. The replacements at the time Sidebottom/Anderson/Tremlett at the time weren't prendtrative enough to bowl India out - thus they lost. So that series win in England doesn't mean anything & it proves why i saw the ranking system isn't needed in cricket. Since IND got maximum points for beating a weakened ENG team.

The ranking doesn't/didn't take into account that ENG where weakened during that 2007 series. Which is crap since in 05/06 when ENG took its full-stenght pace attack to India - they managed to draw the series by beating IND on a Mumbai greentop.

Finally so what if they won a few test in AUS & SA. The fact is they lost the series - thats the point. Plus back in 2007/08 during those tours to ENG, SA & AUS Khan, RP Singh, Sreesanth, Sharma where in some sort of form. Currently except for Zaheer that pace attack is utter trash & isn't capable of taking 20 wickets overseas.

Plus its clear that AUS & SA are much improved outfits from when India toured ther 06/07 & 07/08. While India have a ageing batting line-up, weakend poor pace attack & openers who are vulnerable againts pace. Can you seriously see India doing well in South Africa later this year againts the pace Steyn/Morkel/De Wet/McLaren/Kallis/Parnell in bowler friendly conditions??

India have`nt played an test series outside the subcontinent since 2009. We last saw the Indian bowlers performing overseas in 2009 Jan when we did reasonably well on pitches which were`nt exactly greentops. Since then, all that we have seen of the Indian bowling has either been in flat decks in the IPL/ODIs or some really flat ones in the tests in India. Even on those flat decks, our series win agains SL in late 2009 was due to some quality spells from our pacers on really flat pitches (Sreesanths 5-er at Kanpur and Zaheers 5-er at Mumbai). If we look at all the cricket that we`ve played since 2002, our seam attack has got the job done in test cricket on most occasions, even on some dead Indian wickets. Test cricket is the keyword here. The same set of pacers have struggled when it came to ODI cricket where our successes have come mostly due to our batting lineup. You just cannot extrapolate observations made on the basis of T20 cricket to test match cricket.

If that is the case, WI should be challenging top sides regularly.Test cricket or for that matter, even ODI cricket allows a batsman to have a look at the bowling and ease into the inning. It is clearly easier facing short stuff as a batsman in Test cricket than in T20s where you are almost forced to play attacking strokes against it. Otherwise, Steve Waugh/Ganguly/Lara (used to hop around sometimes against fast short bowling) would not have been as succesful in test match cricket.

aditya123 added 7 Minutes and 36 Seconds later...

Looking at most sides in world cricket at the moment and looking at the scoring areas of most top hitters in world cricket, I would not be surprised if the kind of tactics which we saw employed against India by Aus/WI, would actually work against most sides in T20 cricket. Targetted short deliveries on the body would work against most batting lineup. Iam actually quite surprised why it is`nt used against other sides. If you look at the scoring areas of the hitters in T20 cricket, it is mostly straightish or towards mid-on/midwicket. I don`t see any real hooker of the cricket ball in T20 cricket. Most would be able to play a short delivery defensivelt, but I don`t really see many batsmen actually having the ability to attack such deliveries for a six in T20 cricket at the moment.

TumTum

International Cricketer
Looking at most sides in world cricket at the moment and looking at the scoring areas of most top hitters in world cricket, I would not be surprised if the kind of tactics which we saw employed against India by Aus/WI, would actually work against most sides in T20 cricket. Targetted short deliveries on the body would work against most batting lineup. Iam actually quite surprised why it is`nt used against other sides. If you look at the scoring areas of the hitters in T20 cricket, it is mostly straightish or towards mid-on/midwicket. I don`t see any real hooker of the cricket ball in T20 cricket. Most would be able to play a short delivery defensivelt, but I don`t really see many batsmen actually having the ability to attack such deliveries for a six in T20 cricket at the moment.

Don't think that will work against sides like Aus, NZ, Eng and SA. The batters might not be able to hit it for six but the runs will certainly flow.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
Don't think that will work against sides like Aus, NZ, Eng and SA. The batters might not be able to hit it for six but the runs will certainly flow.
Yup, I don't see it working against the likes of those teams unless you've got serious pace. Of course, there are a lot of other factors, too, such as how good a batsman is at becoming creative. You won't see most bouncers angled into the batsmen, forcing them to hook/pull against the line. The upper-cut, square-cut become important shots, then. That's why Sehwag, despite being a rather poor hooker/puller, still manages to score plenty of runs. His lack of footwork almost helps him out because he doesn't move his feet to get into the line of the pull, something that takes Indian batsmen longer because of the extra speed/bounce.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Your original point insinuated that all those players would have been playing, in which case England would have had a huge advantage. However, that was and is never going to happen.

England certainly would. Becuase when Engalnd beat Indian in the final test of 2005/06 tour to draw that series. With a full-strenght pace attack on a Mumbai pitch offering the kind of assistance to fast-bowlers that you would not expect from an Indian pitch - but rather in English conditions.

Their is no way Indian would have won in England 2007, if England had a full-strenght pace attack. In English conditions where they could have exposed India's hsitorical weakness to extra bounce - plus the moving ball.

I'm sorry, buddy, but I don't believe in fortune-telling. If you could so easily predict that "India would never have won" based on a few players, then I'm sure you would have predicted Zaheer's 6-for as well, right? Cricket isn't just about the right players showing up in their whites. That's why it's Test cricket. When Australia went with their all pace attack in the Perth test match last time we were down under, everyone expected India to have no chance to win. Tait was expected to bounce us out. In the end we won the game pretty comfortably. So forgive me, but I don't count hypotheticals as a valid argument.

The only reason AUS didn't bounce India out in that test is because the pitch played different to what was expected. The pre-match hype was the pitch would have alot of bounce - thats why AUS picked Tait. The pitch eneded up being fairly flat, so AUS couldn' test IND with bounce as they wanted.

But i dont discredit IND win in that test or nothing. They just adapted to conditons better than AUS. Since AUS all-pace attack (except for Lee & Clark) ended bowling poorly.

Since The Ashes:
Lost 2-0 in Pakistan
Drew 1-1 in India
Drew 1-1 vs. Sri Lanka
Won 3-0 vs. Pakistan
Lost 5-0 in Australia
Won 3-0 vs. West Indies
Lost 1-0 vs. India

England had only dropped 1 Test at home since the 2005 Ashes and before the India series. They had drawn against the Lankans 1-1 and swept both Pakistan and West Indies. In fact, going into the India series, I believe England were unbeaten in their last 8 home Test matches.

- England should have beaten SRI in that 2006, bowled poorly in the first test. SRI got a tuner in the final test & managed to draw that series as Murali spun webs around Englad.

- they beat a PAK team @ home 2006 that was missing their first choice pace attack. Plus ENG had our pace attack depleted as well.

- Beaitng a joke windies team (one of the worse to tour ENG in my lifetime) meant nothing.

Plus as i said before overall as i said before immediately after the Ashes going into the IND series & beyond up until 2009. Vaughan had a career threating knee injured that crippled him forver. Trescothick developed a horrible mental case, Flintoff our inspirational all-rounder was always injured. Jones was out too. England dont exactly have a fantastic talent depth pool, so losing so many quality player was crucial. Thats fairly obvious.

Also, you're forgetting that you need 20 wickets to win a Test. And I can't see any major people missing from the England batting lineup. Certainly they should have been more used to the swinging ball than us.

India's seamer used the seaming conditions brilliantly in that series & really tested the ENG batsmen. But England didn't have their experienced pace attack to take 20 Indian wickets consistently. How was that not obvious sir?.

You're basing this on what? The last time you could see our pace bowlers bowl in a Test match outside the subcontinent was in New Zealand in early 2009. And back then, our pace bowlers performed pretty well on pitches that were clearly as flat as anything we've seen in India. So you're basing this on a glut of Twenty20 cricket and ODI cricket. Which I argue is completely baseless to determine how someone will perform in Test cricket. Unless RP, Ishant and Sreesanth have been secretly playing in underground series' outside India that I'm not aware of, your information is clearly not relevant.

I saw India's recent test @ home vs SRI & SA plus their tour to Bangladesh. Its fairly obvious that other than Zaheer Khan. All of Patel, Sharma, RP Singh Sressanth are not in any good bowling form. Thus unless something miraculos happens i dont see how that pace attack would take 20 wickets outside India.

Surely if they where in good form a few of them would have been in world cup T20 squad?. India desperately lacked some good pace bowling in this WC.

Actually, any series win in India is pretty tough to achieve. It's not like Indian players are super-humans who never get injured at home. Since 2000, only 1 team has ever won a Test series in India--Australia. 2-3 teams have drawn series' (England, New Zealand, South Africa). Are you suggesting that in the 10-15 home series' we've had that we've never had an injury? If that's the case, maybe we deserve what we got for just being more healthy...

Sure India had series injuries at home. But for the majority of the last decade Kumble/harbhajan where ever present in home tests together. They are/where the reason why dominating/winning in India was basically impossible. Since pitches where tailor made of them.

So i dont see how its not fairly obvious that if a team won in India & didn't have to face Kumble/Harbhajan. How you could rate that series win higly if they instead had to face Sarandeep Singh, Raju, Kapoor, Joshi, Chauhan who were nothing spinners.

By the way, in the series that Australia won, we were missing Sachin for half the series. Sachin has also had a problem with his tennis elbow for a few years in the mid-2000s so he wasn't 100% fit, either, and missed a few matches here and there.

Yep & even if he was fit to play in that 2004 series he wouldn't have made a difference - even if he alone had stood up to the AUS attack. Since that legendary AUS basically owned the entire IND batting throughout that series. Nothing was going to stop AUS in that series.

I have already made my position clear about the ranking system.

Kindly repeat it. Since i dont see any points about it above..

Yet a bowling lineup of Agarkar/Zaheer/Nehra/Irfan was expected to match up with the Aussie batsmen? Harbhajan only played one game in that series. The averages of those bowlers going into the series was 45/33/41/NA (Irfan was debuting). Not exactly world-beating. Yet we competed. Don't forget, either, that our batsmen had to bat in alien conditions. That seems to be one point that is always forgotten when people are making excuses with injuries. It's still a freaking away match.

India's bowlers didn't trouble AUS batsmen either (excpet for AUS freakish collapse when Agarkar took 6 for in the 2nd innings @ Adelaide). Both AUS & IND batsmen cashed in on averaging bowling on flat pitches in that series.

The only bowler on either side IIRC who averaged under 30 for that series was Kumble.

McGrath & Warne are legends that could take wickets on any surface. Them not playing fit in that series, along with a fully fit Gillespie made all the in that series. AUS certainly would have won.

When all of McGrath/Dizzy/Warne went to India 6 moths later in 2004 on equally flat pitches they won. So that basically proves my point.

Ah, here we jump into hypotheticals again! Certainly our batting line-up, which has plundered 30,000+ runs in all conditions, would fall down like 10-pins against the might of the Australian pace battery!

Tendy in current form would definately stand up. So would Laxman & Dravid (although i do feel Dravid could be targeted in this advanced age).

I'm not sure or convinced about Sehwag, Gambhir, whoever bats @ 6 & Dhoni.

Seems to me that Australia always seem to be in transition mode or injured when they play India and end up losing, drawing. Maybe they shouldn't break down at such important times. Are you telling me that over the last decade, India has just been lucky enough to always play the Aussie team when it is weak? That seems extremely coincidential--probably the BCCI, huh?

Haa no need for the sarcasm. India defiantely have performed better againts AUS in tests better than most teams & i respect that. Since up until 2004 AUS in the glory days where vulnerable to quality spin & IND & SRI where best equipped to trouble AUS batsmen when they toured the sub-continent.

But certain circumstaces that affected AUS in the 2003/04, 07/08 & 08 series. Such as the injuries to key bowling personnel. That always seems to go unacknowledged when people talk about Indian "good test record vs AUS". Which is wrong. Since full strenght AUS teams beat IND fairly comfortably in 2004 & 1999.

Yet, you're basing your argument on a bunch of Twenty20 cricket being played in the subcontinent.

Clearly, based on a bunch of Twenty20 cricket being played in the subcontinent.

See above.

You'd agree 2 years ago, yet our pace bowlers performed really well in New Zealand just a year back. Again, the form you're basing is off subcontinent cricket and Twenty20's. :clap

Yea NZ are such a great test team right?. Clealry winning a test series in NZ on some flat pitches is comparable to a series win in AUS, SA or ENG againts strong pace attacks in bowler friendly conditions. :clap

Who says our ODI team is going to be filling our Test squad? Yuvraj played for years in the ODI squad before getting a break in the Test squad. Comparatively, players such as Gambhir, Vijay, etc. got their breaks in Test cricket based on Ranji performances. You may take Twenty20 and ODI performances into heavy consideration when picking your Tests squads, but thankfully the Indian selectors don't.

Yea since when does the ranji trophy ever had any pace attacks remotely comparable to that of is seen in international cricket.

Vinood Kambli was a doemstic bully, but yet faield in tests when he faced the pace of windies. India batsmen have a historically vulnerability againts pace, so when once see's them struggle in limited overs againts the line of attack. It cannot be taken lightly.

Ironic point, since Yuvi is the one player in our "new-age" batting line-up who actually prefers pace to spin.

Maybe average medim pacers on flat pitches. But he has consistently looked average/poor in test when he faced the 90 mph stuff. Which is what the likes of Sharma, Vijay (who looked vulberale vs Steyn & Morkel in the recent test series), Kohli, Panday, Raina look like as well ATS of their careers.

Once again, your "form argument" is based on irrelevant cricket.

See above.

Sehwag has got centuries in Australia, South Africa, England, West Indies. The only non-subcontinental countries he hasn't scored a century in are New Zealand and Zimbabwe. He doesn't really need to prove himself to anyone just because he's such a unique and integral player.

- He ot centuries in AUS on flat pitches againts a weakened AUS pace attack in 2003/04.

- Got centuries in 2001/02 on debut againts a SA attack in decline on fairly flat pitch. Pollock was the only good bowler in that test/series. Ntini & Hayward was crap in those days. Klusener & Kallis where in decline. Plus Donald wasn't playing.

When Sehwag faced a real quality Saffies pace attack in SA in bowler friendly condtions in 2006/07. He averaged 14 in that series.

- Sehwag's hundred in England 2002 was againts a inexperienced England attack. All of Flintoff, Harmison, Jones, Hoggard where nto test quality as yet. They didn't become test quality until 2004 when England famously won int he caribbean en route to the 2005 Ashes win.

While the likes of Caddick & Cork where passes their best in the summer of 2002.

- The hundred Sehwag scored in windies 2006 was on a flat pitch. Only the only pacy deck of that series during the final test in Jamaica. Sehwag failed.

So Sehwag obviously has to prove that he can score runs overseas againts quality pace attack on helpul pitches. Instead of just roads. Thats why the tour to SA later this year is a key point in his career.

The Steyn/Morkel point is the only valid one, here. Roach/Taylor/Tait/Nannes in T20's--that point has been addressed a million times and if you haven't soaked it in yet, then there's not much point in repeating it.

Nah the point about Roach/Taylor/Tait/Nannes in T20s is just as valid as the Steyn/Morkel point. What those guys did to India's batsmen in the last two T20 WC is exposed a historical weakness. You can ignore it if you want.

But i certainly know when India your SA later this year. The likes of Sehwag, Gambhir & whoever is the number 6 will be seriously tested & potentially will be exposed againts quality pace bowling in testing conditions.

Yup, but you won't need to score 10 RPO in a Test match. The only guy who was out to a short ball while not trying to score runs was Gambhir against the West Indies.

The runs they needed to score isn't important. The looked vulnerable againts the pace technically.

I contend the point that any fast bowler can bowl 3-4 bouncers an over, like we saw in the Twenty20's, for 5 days straight without having their arms fall off.

Who said they have to bowl 3-4 bouncers an over for 5 days?? :laugh

Quality fast bowling isn't all about bowling bouncers. With Indian batsmen for example who have the vulnerabilyt vs quality pace. The old tactic of the "two-card trick" would work perfectly. Push them back, then send the full delivery which would result in a LBW, bowled or catch behind the wicket.

And neither are they expected to. Players evolve over their careers. No one comes into Test cricket a finished batsman. Test cricket weeds out the guys who can be successful based on performances.

If you're really expecting guys out of domestic cricket to be as good as Dravid/Tendulkar/Laxman, you're being way too unfair. What if every young Aussie batsmen is expected to be as good as Ponting or every young Trinidadian to be as good as Lara? That's just not going to happen. Many of these players are once-in-a-generation players. They are not benchmarks, they are ceilings.

I think you will also find that we won't retire our middle order at the same time and will actually ease players into the fold.

--

All the points I didn't argue against, I agree with.

Word to everything. As i said before one or a few of Yuvraj, Sharma, Raina, Kohli, Raina, Panday, Tiwary, Pujara may very well one day eradicated their current problems againts quality pace & become quality test batsmen.

I certainly would be surprised if they dont. Since India have the hottest young batting line-up in the world in those players. Just right now they have a lot of work to do.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
England certainly would. Becuase when Engalnd beat Indian in the final test of 2005/06 tour to draw that series. With a full-strenght pace attack on a Mumbai pitch offering the kind of assistance to fast-bowlers that you would not expect from an Indian pitch - but rather in English conditions.

Their is no way Indian would have won in England 2007, if England had a full-strenght pace attack. In English conditions where they could have exposed India's hsitorical weakness to extra bounce - plus the moving ball.
I don't think you can call it either way. You've got to factor in that despite missing their best bowling attack, they were still playing in home conditions. Those are not conditions that Indian batsmen are good at playing to begin with, yet we were still able to score.

Also, compare our 2006 (home) batting line-up to the 2007 (away) one. In the match we won in England, our batting lineup was: Karthik, Jaffer, Dravid, Tendulkar, Ganguly, Laxman, Dhoni. In the match we lost at Mumbai, our batting line-up was Jaffer, Sehwag, Dravid, Tendulkar, Yuvraj, Dhoni, Irfan. IIRC, this is when Ganguly had been dropped. Sehwag was in poor form and was dropped shortly after (for the England tour--although he should have been selected). But we went in with 6 batsmen, one of which was Yuvraj, who I'm still not convinced about in Test cricket. Comparatively, the lineup we played in England was much more settled and experienced. I believe our middle order would have put up a much better show than you are giving them credit for. I personally think the series would have been tight, but England would have pipped it 2-1. But those are all hypotheticals.

Plus as i said before overall as i said before immediately after the Ashes going into the IND series & beyond up until 2009. Vaughan had a career threating knee injured that crippled him forver. Trescothick developed a horrible mental case, Flintoff our inspirational all-rounder was always injured. Jones was out too. England dont exactly have a fantastic talent depth pool, so losing so many quality player was crucial. Thats fairly obvious.
What I see is a bunch of tragic-hero flaws, here. I can't accept Simon Jones' injury since he was injured more than he wasn't during his career. I think, in his case, his injuries should be factored into how good a player he was because it's no use if you're an ace reverse-swing bowler if you're never healthy. Trescothick's mental case was only when he was away from home, from what I recall. Vaughan's injury was noteworthy, especially since he was captain. I think Flintoff's injury was most important, although in the matches he has played before and since, he's opted not to bowl in several cases--suggesting that he could be selected into the team purely on batting (which I don't think he could, but that's another discussion).

Certainly, the English side was depleted. But they still had the advantage of home conditions, which is key. When Kumble was unfit and then retired during the Australian tour of India, we were able to fill in with Amit Mishra, who came quite out of the blue and put in a match-winning performance in the 1st Test. He obviously had the advantage of the conditions, since he hasn't played a single away game (except one against Bangladesh) in his short career.

Also, English county cricket is a traditionally very active cricket league and with such a huge pool of players to choose from, I find it hard to believe that England couldn't find players that could at least trouble the Indian batsmen, given that they had the advantage of home conditions and being in form. No replacements to the likes of Flintoff and Hoggard (although Sidebottom has since usurped Hoggard's spot as the first-choice swing bowler, right?) but they shouldn't be walkovers, either.

India's seamer used the seaming conditions brilliantly in that series & really tested the ENG batsmen. But England didn't have their experienced pace attack to take 20 Indian wickets consistently. How was that not obvious sir?.
Yep... and my argument is that the Indian seamers perform well when they have suitable conditions. The series wasn't just a once-in-a-lifetime performance by our seamers--they've performed when we went to England, to South Africa, to New Zealand, etc. They have had the misfortune of playing in India most of their careers, which don't really offer anything.

I saw India's recent test @ home vs SRI & SA plus their tour to Bangladesh. Its fairly obvious that other than Zaheer Khan. All of Patel, Sharma, RP Singh Sressanth are not in any good bowling form. Thus unless something miraculos happens i dont see how that pace attack would take 20 wickets outside India.
Yeah, on dead Indian wickets. How can you judge their form based on that? Even then, these were how our bowlers performed at home:

Against England (2008): Pace - 14 wickets, Spin - 16 wickets
Against Australia (2008): Pace - 26 wickets, Spin - 37 wickets
Against Sri Lanka (2009): Pace - 20 wickets, Spin - 25 wickets
Against South Africa (2009): Pace - 10 wickets, Spin - 15 wickets

They definitely performed better than expected on pitches that should have been, in general, assisting spin bowlers. I'm sure if we look at figures outside of the subcontinent, the pace bowlers will be carrying the load, despite spin being our traditional bowling strength.

Surely if they where in good form a few of them would have been in world cup T20 squad?. India desperately lacked some good pace bowling in this WC.
All our Test bowlers who have had exceptional performances over the years except Zaheer (Ishant, Sreesanth, RP) have been poor Twenty20 bowlers. They may be out of form, too, but that form is based on Indian pitches. In Tests, you have the advantage of more defensive fields, less attacking batsmen and hence you can work on the batsmen. You don't really have that luxury in Twenty20. Even if you look at all the other sides, you'll notice that their bowling line-ups are different from their Test/ODI bowling line-ups.

So i dont see how its not fairly obvious that if a team won in India & didn't have to face Kumble/Harbhajan. How you could rate that series win higly if they instead had to face Sarandeep Singh, Raju, Kapoor, Joshi, Chauhan who were nothing spinners.
The point is taken. I guess it's important to wonder why we have never been in this situation where all our main bowlers are injured, whereas all the teams we beat away seem to be in that situation.

Yep & even if he was fit to play in that 2004 series he wouldn't have made a difference - even if he alone had stood up to the AUS attack. Since that legendary AUS basically owned the entire IND batting throughout that series. Nothing was going to stop AUS in that series.
In 2004? You obviously watched a different series. That series would have been 2-2 if the rain hadn't washed away our chances in the 2nd Test. The Aussies played really well in the first two games to build a lead but India were fighting back, needing about 200-odd runs in the last day with a rampaging Sehwag dispatching McGrath all over the place at the end of Day 4. I'm sure the Aussies wouldn't have packed up and gone home, but it would have been tight. It had largely been Shane Warne who had given Australia the advantage in the first innings, when he took his first and only 5-wicket haul against India in his entire career.

Kindly repeat it. Since i dont see any points about it above..
You responded to it, so I'm guessing you read it, unless you just saw the word "ranking" and then re-iterated your original point.

McGrath & Warne are legends that could take wickets on any surface. Them not playing fit in that series, along with a fully fit Gillespie made all the in that series. AUS certainly would have won.
Warne doesn't count against India. In his entire career, he had one 5-wicket haul against India, to go with an average of 47.18 (43.11 in India, 62.55 in Australia). McGrath would have made a difference, for sure, but IIRC, he'd never taken on Sehwag before, so it would have been an interesting battle (remember Sehwag hit 195 in the opening day at the MCG, which was quite a surprising feat).

When all of McGrath/Dizzy/Warne went to India 6 moths later in 2004 on equally flat pitches they won. So that basically proves my point.
They won 2-1 with a match that could have gone either way rained out on Day 5. So it was a well-fought victory, not a walkover. The pitches were actually competitive, compared to the pitches we see in India these days. The highest innings total was 474 in the first innings of the series. Comparatively, today you see innings' go up to 600 in India. Also, IIRC, in the series in Australia sides crossed 500 quite a few times. India even had a 700+ score, I believe.

But certain circumstaces that affected AUS in the 2003/04, 07/08 & 08 series. Such as the injuries to key bowling personnel. That always seems to go unacknowledged when people talk about Indian "good test record vs AUS". Which is wrong. Since full strenght AUS teams beat IND fairly comfortably in 2004 & 1999.
2004 was competitive. 1999 is stretching way back. There were several players who played in that series who didn't deserve Test caps (Gandhi? MSK Prasad? Ramesh was only an okay Test batsman). Not to mention that going into that 1999 tour, India's top order had a combined Test experience of about 160, compared to almost 370 matches that Australia had (Steve Waugh had 123 alone). That's when Ponting was a newcomer at just about 30 Tests--the same with Ganguly and Dravid (they actually averaged higher than Ponting at that stage!). It may even have been the first Australian tour for all those players save for Tendulkar--but that I cannot confirm since I can't be bothered to check it out.

So, in my opinion, that falls outside the range of acceptable data. Comparatively, the 2003/04 and 2008 touring squad had a lot more experience and hence got the results to show for it.

Australia did have key injuries but if you always get injured when the Indian team is touring, then that's not my problem. You still have to play good cricket to win a game.

Yea NZ are such a great test team right?. Clealry winning a test series in NZ on some flat pitches is comparable to a series win in AUS, SA or ENG againts strong pace attacks in bowler friendly conditions. :clap
It was still away from the subcontinent in different conditions. Pitches aren't just "flat" or "not flat". There is a reason why cricket is a unique sport because home-court conditions actually matter. Playing away from home is a different experience since the pitches are going to be different from what you're used to, no matter what.

Yea since when does the ranji trophy ever had any pace attacks remotely comparable to that of is seen in international cricket.
Since when does any domestic league have comparable bowling attacks to international cricket? The point, which you completely missed, is that you cannot use the IPL/Twenty20 cricket performances to judge and pick Test players. Bowling line-up notwithstanding, you need a certain temperament to succeed at FC cricket. There's a reason why batsmen such as Yusuf Pathan, Yuvraj Singh and Robin Uthappa have poor FC averages. It's because they're built in an aggressive mould--specifically for ODI/Twenty20 cricket. There's a reason why Yusuf/Robin will never get a Test cap (hopefully). Yuvi got lucky with his since we required a left-hander in the middle-order.

Vinood Kambli was a doemstic bully, but yet faield in tests when he faced the pace of windies. India batsmen have a historically vulnerability againts pace, so when once see's them struggle in limited overs againts the line of attack. It cannot be taken lightly.
Vinod Kambli is a poor example because he played at a time where our selection policy was based on politics rather than performances. He only played in one series outside India and he only had a crack against the Windies once. He should have been persisted with. If nothing else, he could have become a pre-cursor to Virender Sehwag, who has set up a lot of wins on flat pitches, for us. :)

Maybe average medim pacers on flat pitches. But he has consistently looked average/poor in test when he faced the 90 mph stuff. Which is what the likes of Sharma, Vijay (who looked vulberale vs Steyn & Morkel in the recent test series), Kohli, Panday, Raina look like as well ATS of their careers.
In Tests, he's looked average against the moving ball, not the short one. I think you're simplifying what our batsmen are good at/not good at. The short ball is a weakness for a majority of our youngsters. It's not a weakness for Yuvraj, though. The moving ball is a weakness for Yuvraj. However, most Indian batsmen can deal with some amount of lateral movement, because the Indian ball does move in the air and reverse-swing. Obviously, they cannot be expected to deal with the kind of movement that is possible in England/etc. just as the English batsmen can't be expected to naturally deal with the pitches of Sri Lanka and India, that turn square.

- He ot centuries in AUS on flat pitches againts a weakened AUS pace attack in 2003/04.

- Got centuries in 2001/02 on debut againts a SA attack in decline on fairly flat pitch. Pollock was the only good bowler in that test/series. Ntini & Hayward was crap in those days. Klusener & Kallis where in decline. Plus Donald wasn't playing.

When Sehwag faced a real quality Saffies pace attack in SA in bowler friendly condtions in 2006/07. He averaged 14 in that series.

- Sehwag's hundred in England 2002 was againts a inexperienced England attack. All of Flintoff, Harmison, Jones, Hoggard where nto test quality as yet. They didn't become test quality until 2004 when England famously won int he caribbean en route to the 2005 Ashes win.

While the likes of Caddick & Cork where passes their best in the summer of 2002.

- The hundred Sehwag scored in windies 2006 was on a flat pitch. Only the only pacy deck of that series during the final test in Jamaica. Sehwag failed.

So Sehwag obviously has to prove that he can score runs overseas againts quality pace attack on helpul pitches. Instead of just roads. Thats why the tour to SA later this year is a key point in his career.
Right, that was expected, all of Sehwag's centuries were fairly easy, and anyone could have hit them. The difference being that no one else hit them, and no one else hit them in the fashion he hit them. I challenge you to find someone who is attacking as Sehwag and whose century can change the game as quickly. Hayden is the only guy who comes to mind. The advantage Sehwag gives to the team in intangible and if you cannot appreciate it, then you're going to spend your whole life pointing out how Sehwag failed against this attack in that country.

Nah the point about Roach/Taylor/Tait/Nannes in T20s is just as valid as the Steyn/Morkel point. What those guys did to India's batsmen in the last two T20 WC is exposed a historical weakness. You can ignore it if you want.
It's a weakness that seems to require very specific set of circumstances: bouncy wicket, Twenty20 game, chase at 9-10 RPO. So, yes, I will ignore it and stand by the fact that although we'll never dominate the short bowling, it won't be as huge an effect in Tests and ODIs.

The runs they needed to score isn't important. The looked vulnerable againts the pace technically.
That's extremely shortsighted, though. The reason they looked vulnerable was mostly because they needed to score runs off the short bowling. They needed to score runs. If they didn't score runs, they would lose. In Tests, they can just duck and eventually learn to drop their wrists. And I'll remind you that it's only a short ball weakness. The ball didn't move that much, so we didn't get to see that. Against good length balls, they looked comfortable, even with the speed. So it's not a vulnerability against pace, it's against fast, short bowling.

Who said they have to bowl 3-4 bouncers an over for 5 days?? :laugh

Quality fast bowling isn't all about bowling bouncers. With Indian batsmen for example who have the vulnerabilyt vs quality pace. The old tactic of the "two-card trick" would work perfectly. Push them back, then send the full delivery which would result in a LBW, bowled or catch behind the wicket.
You're not talking about quality, you're talking about effective fast bowling, which is what we faced in the Twenty20's. We didn't see the "two-card" trick at all. We saw a barrage of short deliveries intermixed with slower balls. When the ball was pitched up, even though we were expecting a short delivery, in most cases we survived (Yuvi being the exception, who was done in with a snorter of a yorker--but then that's a yorker and it can dismiss most batsmen).

I certainly would be surprised if they dont. Since India have the hottest young batting line-up in the world in those players. Just right now they have a lot of work to do.
There's no arguing that they have work to do and that they aren't prepared as yet. That's the reason why we still have stalwarts such as Tendulkar, Dravid and Laxman playing. Each international team has had their share of players try to play the game, be found out and never be seen again. We don't remember them because they've played so few games. Test cricket--not Twenty20--will weed out who has the temperament for the highest form of the game. Twenty20 in many ways is a lot harder than Test cricket because of the required aggressive batting. There's not as much room for failure. Test cricket requires a different sort of skillset--you need to be able to survive when the going gets tough and capitalize when it becomes easy. You don't have time to play survival cricket in Twenty20, especially when chasing, because the RRR is always knocking on your door. This is why, in my opinion, although our players are not equipped to playing quick, short bowling, they can still grow to become successful Test cricketers.

Of our remaining stalwarts--Tendulkar, Dravid, Laxman--none of them can be compared to a Ricky Ponting or Kevin Pietersen when measuring how well the short ball can be played. I'd say Sachin is the best of our three in being aggressive against that sort of bowling. Laxman and Dravid have learned how to survive because in Test cricket, eventually the bowlers are going to tire.

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
Nice argument, guys. Good to read. Looks like War is just making an excuse for every one of sohum's points though (weak bowling attack, flat track, bla bla bla).

Users who are viewing this thread