24th Match, Group F: West Indies v Australia at Gros Islet

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
We are into the final round of matches in the Super 8 stage with the fortunes of India and Sri Lanka, hang on this match. West Indies will be the first non sub-continent team that Australia play in this tournament. The teams return to the slower St Lucia pitch which will work in the home sides favour since their batsmen won't have to be as worried about the bounce that the Australia speedsters can extract.

Australia head into this match knowing they have all but qualified bar a collapse of epic proportion. The unit is almost running on all cylinders with Clarke and Haddin the remaining batsmen that need to fire. The return to the slower St Lucia is the final barrier that Australia need to overcome to win this tournament with the semi final being played here.

Facing spin still remains a factor which the Australian batsmen struggle against, with Sri Lanka's new comer, Suraj Randi taking 3 for 20 in the previous match, that reduced Australia to 5 for 67. Pakistan, Australia's likely semi final opponent have arguably the best spin combo in the game and they showed this in their victory over South Africa with the spinners taking 4 for 47 off their combined overs. While the West Indian spinners aren't in the same class as the Pakistan ones, they will provide handy practice for the battle ahead, assuming WI play two spinners.

West Indies have gone through this tournament on the back of their seam bowlers, with Sammy their leading wicket taker at 6 wickets with Roach and Bravo 1 behind on 5 wickets. The Australian batting lineup will provide the biggest test for the West Indian seamers.

In the last meeting between these teams, the understrength West Indian team took a pasting with their alright looking 138 chased down in 11.4 overs, with Miller the main victim conceding 56 in 3.4 overs. This match could be the one you say the vicious Warner and Watson combo made their mark. Warner 67 (29) and Watson 62 (33) tried to match each other in the strike rate department, giving the bowlers new headaches that doctors never knew existed!

The West Indian batting have depended heavily on Chris Gayle firing. He comes into this match on the back of his 98 (66) so hes definitely in form but you could also say hes had his hit for this tournament. If Australia can remove Gayle quickly they will go a long way to securing this match. Worth noting is the fact Australia have yet to chase in this tournament, will Clarke try this if he wins the toss?

Key Players

For Australia: After their display against Sri Lanka you could essentially say the whole side are key players.

For West Indies: Gayle, Pollard, Roach and Bravo present the main dangers to the Australians. Chanderpaul could also provide some entertainment if he remembers his performance in the final of the Champions Trophy knock where WI were 49 off 5.1 overs.

Key Matchups

Gayle vs Australia bowlers: Clearly the key matchup of this game, Gayle has the ability to take the game away from Australia and in the process make his partner life a whole lot easier.

Roach, Taylor vs Watson, Warner: This matchup is dependent on Taylor playing but Roach vs the openers also provides a key matchup. As I showed in the last outing between these two, the openers went berserk and if they do likewise again, this game could be over quickly.

Likely lineups

It is unlikely Australia will change their lineup but they may think about giving Nathan Hauritz a run before the semi finals.

Australia: 1. David Warner, 2. Shane Watson, 3. Michael Clarke (c), 4. David Hussey, 5. Cameron White, 6. Brad Haddin (wk), 7. Michael Hussey, 8. Steven Smith, 9. Mitchell Johnson, 10. Dirk Nannes, 11. Shaun Tait.

West Indies will more than likely keep their winning lineup from the India match. If they were to make a change, Miller would be the obvious choice either coming in for a bowler or Hinds.

West Indies: 1. Chris Gayle (c), 2. Shivnarine Chanderpaul, 3. Ramnaresh Sarwan, 4. Dwayne Bravo, 5. Kieron Pollard, 6. Wavell Hinds, 7. Darren Sammy, 8. Denesh Ramdin (wk), 9. Sulieman Benn, 10. Jerome Taylor, 11. Kemar Roach.

PlanetCricket Super 8 – Australia vs West Indies

McLOVIN

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
I've been rooting for the Oz's. Loving DMS/JNT combo, and WWD. But in this game I have to go with the Windies

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
Bravo will have to step up. He has been the biggest disappointment by far this tournament.

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
Wavell Hinds should be dropped!!

Yes he should. I don't understand why they don't play Deonarine unless he is still sick. Hinds doesn't bring anything to the team, no batting or bowling so why have him there.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Yea Deonarine is a much better choice, adds in batting and bowling. Other choice is Miller for Hinds. Miller, Benn and Taylor are more than capable of batsmen.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
I like the Gayle/Chanderpaul combo for that match I provided above. Its something I won't forget fast.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Come on Australia. Even if India loses to Sri Lanka in the game before this, I still root for Australia. Knock the hosts out of the tournament.

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
and open with Sarwan

This came to my mind earlier in the tournament but I realized that he doesn't have what it takes to score runs in this format. He has never been a big over the top hitter of the ball and is not innovative enough to score runs when things arent going his way. He also heavily favors the off side and the cut shot so teams have a easy time setting a field for him.

I like the Gayle/Chanderpaul combo for that match I provided above. Its something I won't forget fast.

The problem in this tournament and in the past in this format has been the middle order so I don't see them dropping Hinds for Miller. Like you said before Deonarine adds bowling and he can sub in as a part time spinner and maybe share a few overs with Gayle.
As I said in another thread I am not a big fan of Chanderpaul and Sarwan opening in T20 or even taking part in it. I prefer taking in some younger players and also bringing in Travis Dowlin who has a solid 20/20 record and can play a bit more attacking cricket. He is also not as valuable to the test team as Chanders and Sarwan.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
The return to the slower St Lucia is the final barrier that Australia need to overcome to win this tournament with the semi final being played here.

It is unlikely Australia will change their lineup but they may think about giving Nathan Hauritz a run before the semi finals.

Yeah I'd think very hard about playing Hauritz here, especially since the game is basically meaningless given the awesome NRR we have. Does anyone need a rest? Maybe Watson - he could always use a rest. Then Haddin could have a go up the top and hopefully grab some form. Of course they could always rest one of the quicks, but I'm not sure I'd like to weaken the bowling any, given that in Gayle and sometimes Pollard they have guys who could destroy a bowling attack. In those times you want more bowling options. I'm more scared of the Windies batsmen than bowling so I'd rather rest a batsman.

I'd say there's a less than 30% chance of the side changing though. Aussies are big on continuity and they won't be thinking of worst case scenarios - unlike me.

irottev

School Cricketer
Can't see the Aussies losing. They're in top form. West Indies despite beating India aren't even in the same league. Unless the game's fixed I honestly can't see Australia not winning.

McLOVIN

Chairman of Selectors
Oz could easily rest Tait, Watson, Harris or even Haddin. TP can open with Warner.

Users who are viewing this thread