Story 2009 - Ashes Time Again [1st Test - Day Four]

treva

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
First of all, this story will not mean that my long standing England story will stop. This is just a story I've desperately wanted to attempt and will hopefully complete over the Summer.

Secondly, This story will be written similar to and was inspired by this story: http://www.planetcricket.org/forums...ngland-day-3-1st-ashes-test-posted-32269.html. I recommend giving this a read because it was excellent, and I am in no way claiming the originality of the idea. I haven't seen 'The Mongrel' around in a while but I'm sure he would be more than happy to let me create this story (In other words, don't get me done for plagiarism :p)

Finally, this will be played using a number of things. Syedur Rahman's Cricket Simulator (Cricsim) will be involved, as will International Cricket Captain 2002 and possibly Cricket Coach 2009, depending on how the v3.05 patch plays.

With all that out the way lets get this story started :)

-----------------------

Jaztheman said:
Ashes - Unrivaled Rivalry

The Ashes: One of the most prestigious events and one of the most celebrated rivalries in the world. Lying deep in England, fastidious preparation is being undertaken for one of the most historical sporting competitions. With heat waves expected, fans are coming out in force desperate to deflect attention away from pressing matters such as the recession. The fundamental festival of fabulous fun has arrived at the most convenient time and the crowds will be out in their thousands. This gives many numerous sports fans around the world focus on what really matters in life. Cricket.

The last time these two illustrious countries met in the United Kingdom, England prevailed as victors with one of the most memorable victories the country has captured in recent time. Australia, however, fought ferociously to win back the urn they had kept protector of for 16 years and triumphed over their rivals down under in 2006/07. The rivalry has seen a sudden burst of newfound electric atmosphere with both nations now feeling the significant importance of the series.

England have the home advantage this time around and will be looking to gain their much wanted revenge as if Australia was its brother. England have won the Ashes once more than Australia in their home country and with the rekindled success of 2005 still vivid in their memory, England will surely look to hand out some payback. This competition has been ongoing since 1882 and is just as important as ever.

-------------------

The opening of Jaztheman's excellent Ashes article: http://www.planetcricket.org/forums/cricket-news-members-articles/ashes-unrivaled-rivalry-55796.html

2009-npower-ashes-series-lo-38553.jpg

Code:
[B][U]Fixtures[/U][/B]
[B]Wed Jun 24 - Sat Jun 27[/B] 
11:00 local | 10:00 GMT:  Sussex v Australians
County Ground, Hove   

[B]Wed Jul 1 - Fri Jul 3[/B] 
11:00 local | 10:00 GMT:  Warwickshire v England
Edgbaston, Birmingham

[B]Wed Jul 1 - Sat Jul 4[/B] 
11:00 local | 10:00 GMT:  England Lions v Australians
County Ground, New Road, Worcester   

[B]Wed Jul 8 - Sun Jul 12[/B] 
11:00 local | 10:00 GMT:  1st Test - England v Australia
Sophia Gardens, Cardiff 

[B]Thu Jul 16 - Mon Jul 20[/B] 
11:00 local | 10:00 GMT:  2nd Test - England v Australia
Lord's, London   

[B]Fri Jul 24 - Sun Jul 26[/B] 
11:00 local | 10:00 GMT:  Northamptonshire v Australians
County Ground, Northampton   

[B]Thu Jul 30 - Mon Aug 3[/B] 
11:00 local | 10:00 GMT:  3rd Test - England v Australia
Edgbaston, Birmingham   

[B]Fri Aug 7 - Tue Aug 11[/B] 
11:00 local | 10:00 GMT:  4th Test - England v Australia
Headingley, Leeds   

[B]Sat Aug 15 - Sun Aug 16[/B] 
11:00 local | 10:00 GMT:  Kent v Australians
St Lawrence Ground, Canterbury   

[B]Thu Aug 20 - Mon Aug 24[/B] 
11:00 local | 10:00 GMT:  5th Test - England v Australia
Kennington Oval, London

[B]Thu Aug 27[/B] 
10:45 local | 09:45 GMT:  Only ODI - Ireland v England
Civil Service Cricket Club, Stormont, Belfast    

[B]Fri Aug 28[/B] 
10:45 local | 09:45 GMT:  Only ODI - Scotland v Australia
Grange Cricket Club Ground, Raeburn Place, Edinburgh   

[B]Sun Aug 30[/B] 
14:30 local | 13:30 GMT:  1st Twenty20 International - England v Australia
Old Trafford, Manchester   

[B]Tue Sep 1[/B]  
19:00 local | 18:00 GMT:  2nd Twenty20 International - England v Australia
Old Trafford, Manchester    

[B]Fri Sep 4[/B]  
13:00 local | 12:00 GMT:  1st ODI - England v Australia
Kennington Oval, London   

[B]Sun Sep 6[/B] 
10:15 local | 09:15 GMT:  2nd ODI - England v Australia
Lord's, London   

[B]Wed Sep 9[/B]  
14:30 local | 13:30 GMT:  3rd ODI - England v Australia
The Rose Bowl, Southampton   

[B]Sat Sep 12[/B] 
10:15 local | 09:15 GMT:  4th ODI - England v Australia
Lord's, London   

[B]Tue Sep 15[/B]  
14:30 local | 13:30 GMT:  5th ODI - England v Australia
Trent Bridge, Nottingham   

[B]Thu Sep 17  [/B]
14:30 local | 13:30 GMT:  6th ODI - England v Australia
Trent Bridge, Nottingham   

[B]Sun Sep 20[/B] 
10:15 local | 09:15 GMT:  7th ODI - England v Australia
Riverside Ground, Chester-le-Street

Last edited:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.cricinfo.com said:
The Ashes 2009
Symonds left out of Ashes squad
Cricinfo Staff
May 20, 2009

andrewsymonds.png

Andrew Symonds' test career hangs in the balance after the all-rounder was left out of the tour squad for the Ashes this summer. The controversial 33 year old, who turns 34 next month, has played 26 times in the Australian test team averaging 40.61 with the bat and 37.33 with the ball but has been overlooked for this years Ashes tour. As Symonds makes way all-rounders Andrew McDonald and Shane Watson both pick up spots in the 16-man squad that will take on England.

Marcus North also gains a place in the test squad that has been completed transformed from that of the 2005 and 2007 tours. With the retirement of many greats Australia have the challenge of regaining the urn with a rather inexperienced Ashes side. Whilst the squad hosts experienced batsmen in captain Ricky Ponting, Mike Hussey, Michael Clarke and Simon Katich the bowling lacks any Ashes experience, with only Brett lee and Stuart Clark having played an Ashes test before. Mitchell Johnson, Peter Siddle, Ben Hilfenhaus and chosen off spinner Nathan Hauritz have never played test cricket against England, something which could count against them during the five test series.

Brad Haddin takes the main wicketkeeper slot whilst Graham Manou acts as back-up. Australia have kept loyal to those who served well in South Africa and will be looking for more of the same against an English side up for the fight. Phillip Hughes is among the high performers of the South African tour and many have touted him as the next Matthew Hayden. This series could be the starting point to a massively successful career at the top of the Australian order, however, the tour will be his biggest test yet.

"We feel this squad is good enough to regain the Ashes," said Australian selector Andrew Hilditch. "They proved that by winning the test series in South Africa and I have no doubts that every player has the potential to be match winners."

"It will be a tough series, and it will be difficult to repeat the feat of 2007 without so many of the game's greats. But we feel the mix of experience and youth can win test matches and ultimately regain the Ashes. It promises to be a superb series once again, and we expect a strong contest from England. This series could well be as exciting as 2005, because in Ashes cricket anything can happen."

Ponting spoke briefly after the squad announcement stating his belief that the right squad had been chosen. "Symonds is a quality player, but he has been kept out by players who have earned their place," he said. "Players such as North and Hughes proved that they were good enough to make the Australian team in South Africa and we simply cannot leave them out."

Squad: Ricky Ponting, Michael Clarke, Stuart Clark, Brad Haddin, Nathan Hauritz, Ben Hilfenhaus, Phillip Hughes, Michael Hussey, Mitchell Johnson, Simon Katich, Brett Lee, Graham Manou, Andrew McDonald, Marcus North, Peter Siddle, Shane Watson.

? Cricinfo

Knowing Symonds, he is a controversial player anyway so I feel this is a good decision to disclude him from the Ashes. Also, it creates a vacancy and as mentioned out of McDonald and Watson, I would personally pick McDonald due to the fact that when the Australians faced the South Africans, he bowled stump-to-stump bowled a tight line and length and I feel he is more economically superior over Watson.

Fantastic writing Jack. Its Cricinfoescque. :cool: Keep up the fantastic presentation and works!

To be fair I would rather have Symonds in the team rather than Manou, who I don't think is needed for Australia. Then again he wouldn't get in my first eleven for Australia and barely on the fringes. It isn't that bad a squad all in all.

Good presentation to start off with, Jack, hopefully you can continue this and perhaps even build on the steady start.

Nice to see Marcus North in the squad for the Ashes. i hope he gets into the 1st XI for the Aussies. I also hope McDonald gets a spot, will be interesting if he does, I wanna see how he goes against the English batsmen. Symonds not being in the squad could either be costly or a smart decision, we`ll have to see how we go without Roy. Brilliant start mate, good presentation and writing, keep it up. :clap

Yet another ashes story to look forward to. Since it's you writing it it should be good.

Symonds out makes it easier for players like North and Manou to shine

www.cricinfo.com said:
The Ashes 2009
No room for Vaughan or Sidebottom in Ashes squad
Cricinfo Staff
Jun 22, 2009

michaelvaughan.png

Michael Vaughan has been left out of England's pre-Ashes camp squad of 16 creating questions over the ex-captain's future in the game. Ryan Sidebottom has also been left out of the 16 that sees Monty Panesar and Steve Harmison return to the fray.

Vaughan's last international game came in July of last year and may well have seen the end of his international playing career. The Yorkshire batsman hasn't hit any sort of form for his county and has once again been overlooked for selection. Many are now expecting to see him announce retirement from international cricket and maybe even cricket as a whole.

Steve Harmison grabs a place following good performances for his county side Durham this season. Monty Panesar and Adil Rashid join off spinner Graeme Swann in the 16 with the venue for the first Ashes test, Cardiff, expecting to offer some turn and bounce for the spinners.

Ian Bell has been included following good performances for Warwickshire this season, and he will captain the England Lions team in their match against Australia next month. There is no room for Owais Shah who lost his place for the home series against the West Indies earlier this year. Matt Prior takes the only wicket keeping spot in the 16, but Steven Davies tops the list of back-ups after he was announced as the wicket keeper for the England Lions. Andrew Flintoff also returns after time out with injury, and many think that England's hopes rely on the fitness of their talisman.

"By no means does this mean that only the 16 chosen for the pre-Ashes camp can get selected for the 1st Test in Cardiff," said national selector Geoff Miller. "The camp is purely to allow Andy Flower and the coaching staff to prepare the squad for the Ashes and get the team to gel."

England have elected to play two spinners in their only warm-up game against Warwickshire, something that England could well employ in the 1st Test at Cardiff.

"We have chosen two spinners for the warm-up match in Panesar and Swann, but that does not mean they are a definite for the 1st Test. We have the option of an extra pace bowler if we feel that's the way we should go. All is yet to be decided, but the pre-Ashes camp and the warm-up game versus Warwickshire will aid our final squad for the 1st Test."

England Test squad for pre-Ashes camp
Andrew Strauss (capt), James Anderson, Ian Bell, Ravi Bopara, Tim Bresnan, Stuart Broad, Paul Collingwood, Alastair Cook, Andrew Flintoff, Steve Harmison, Graham Onions, Monty Panesar, Kevin Pietersen, Matt Prior, Adil Rashid, Graeme Swann

England XI to face Warwickshire
Andrew Strauss (capt), James Anderson, Stuart Broad, Ravi Bopara, Paul Collingwood, Alastair Cook, Andrew Flintoff, Monty Panesar, Kevin Pietersen, Matt Prior (wk), Graeme Swann

England Lions squad to face Australia
Ian Bell (capt), Tim Bresnan, Joe Denly, Steven Davies (wk), Steve Harmison, Sajid Mahmood, Stephen Moore, Eoin Morgan, Graham Onions, Adil Rashid, Vikram Solanki

? Cricinfo

Last edited:
Interesting to see 3 spinners get a go but no Sidebottom. Bresnan over Sidebottom is also interesting. I womnder if Ian Bell will get a go, my bet is he won't.

Top stuff mate, kiu!

Last edited:
www.cricinfo.com said:
Sussex vs Australia, Hove, 1st day
Hughes, Katich and Ponting destroy Sussex
Cricinfo Staff
Jun 24, 2009

Australia 479 for 2 (Hughes 174, Katich 165, Ponting 103*) v Sussex
Scorecard
How they were out

philhughes.png

Phillip Hughes, Simon Katich and Ricky Ponting all hit centuries as Australia smashed over 450 runs for the loss of just two wickets on day one of their warm-up match with Sussex. Hughes and Katich put on an opening stand of 340 as both batsmen passed 150 in the afternoon session. Ricky Ponting then smashed 103* from 101 balls as he reached three figures from the last ball of the day.

Sussex captain Michael Yardy won the toss and elected to bowl first, a decision that quickly turned sour as Hughes and Katich racked up their 50 partnership in under 10 overs. Hughes then raced to 51* from 62 balls bringing up his half century with a cut shot off the bowling of James Kirtley. Katich's fifty soon followed thrashing 4 fours in a row from a rather wayward Kirtley over.

Yardy turned to the spin of youngsters Ollie Rayner, Will Beer and Rory Hamilton-Brown but the Australian pair continued to score runs freely, Hughes launching Rayner into the stands the highlight of the session. Australia reached 156 without loss at Lunch and then proceeded to push on in the afternoon session.

Hughes hit a succession of boundaries in the 33rd over to bring up his century, yet again showing his fantastic ability with the bat. The Sussex bowlers were unable to tie down the two openers, and after a quiet spell of 5 overs Katich and Hughes returned to smashing the ball to all parts of the ground. Katich eventually reached his century from the final ball of the 45th over, smashing a full ball by Kirtley straight back past him for four.

The onslaught continued throughout the afternoon and when Hughes caressed a drive through the covers off the bowling of Robin Martin-Jenkins he reached 150. Katich followed a couple of overs later, his 3rd fifty coming off just 38 deliveries.

After tea the Sussex bowlers came out fighting, and after a sweet pull shot from Katich Kirtley picked up his man. A good length ball from Kirtley moved a little off the surface as Katich pushed at it away from his body. Before Katich could take his bat away the ball caught the edge and flew to a waiting Yardy in the slip cordon who made no mistake in taking the catch. Katich made 165 from just 178 which included a whopping 34 fours.

Australian captain Ricky Ponting came to the crease but his partnership with Hughes was short lived. Hughes, who had looked extremely comfortable against all three spin bowlers, received a straight ball from Beer and managed to play all around it trying to work it to the legside. The ball cannoned into the stumps, Hughes departing for a mammoth 174 from 202 deliveries. Hughes hit an astonishing 164 of his runs in boundaries, gaining just 10 runs from ones, twos and threes.

Ponting continued where Hughes and Katich had left off, bringing up his fifty in just 36 balls with 11 fours. Michael Hussey played his natural game allowing Ponting to express himself. With Ponting needing one from the last over of the day to reach his century Hussey grabbed the single with two balls remaining. After a good stop from Chris Nash in the covers, Ponting needed a single off the last ball. He charged down the pitch at Hamilton-Brown and ploughed the ball in-to-out for a one bounce four over cover. Ponting had reached his century in just 101 balls, with 23 boundaries to his name.

Australia finished on 479/2, Ponting and Hussey at the crease on 103 and 31 respectively. Hughes said at the end of the day that he felt he was playing the best cricket of his life.

"Today was just brilliant. Both myself and Simon (Katich) were in great touch and the pitch really played well. It's always nice to score runs in the warm-up games and I feel in the best form of my life. Lets hope I continue this form through the next few weeks and take it into Cardiff where it matters most."

Ponting praised his fellow batsman Katich and Hughes after a 'phenomenal' performance, stating that England should beware if they continue this sort of form.

"Hughes and Katich were just phenomenal today. They played naturally and scored a lot of boundaries, but they hardly put a foot wrong either. It wasn't just a smash and grab innings from either of them, they played proper cricket shots and got just reward. If they can take that form into the Ashes series then England should be worried."

? Cricinfo

Note: The 'Scorecard' and 'How they were out' links do work.

Last edited:
A mammoth of a total scored by the ruthless Australian batsmen. I feel Hughes' stint at Middlesex will have helped him feel more acustomed to the English conditions and may well have aided his ton against Sussex.

One thing Jack, on your "Scorecard" and "How they were out", you have put England Lions instead of Sussex. Just thought I would point it out. Other than that, I am loving the write-up and the hard works put into this. Keep it up! :cheers

www.cricinfo.com said:
Sussex vs Australia, Hove, 2nd day
Siddle swings his way through Sussex
Cricinfo Staff
Jun 25, 2009

Sussex 292/6 (Joyce 100, Siddle 4-77) trail Australia 563 for 2 dec by 271 runs
Scorecard
How they were out

petersiddle.png

Peter Siddle took 4 wickets on day two of Australia's warm-up match with Sussex to put his side in a commanding position at stumps. Siddle followed the good work of Ricky Ponting and Michael Hussey who added a further 84 runs without losing a wicket in the morning session before they declared on 563/2. The only resistance from Sussex came through Ed Joyce who racked up a century and Luke Wright who ended the day with an unbeaten fifty.

Rather surprisingly Ponting and Hussey returned to the crease after Australia's mammoth first day score despite many expecting the Australian captain to declare overnight. Hussey turned aggressor after a rather calm innings yesterday evening, smashing 5 fours from 8 deliveries to bring up his half century. Sensationally all runs off the bat came from boundaries as Australia declared with a mammoth first innings score of 563/2.

The Sussex openers Michael Yardy and Chris Nash both made steady starts, but it wasn't long until Australia made the breakthrough. Siddle, who had looked dangerous swinging the ball both ways, got a legside ball to straighten catching the edge of Nash's bat and looping back to Siddle for a simple return catch.

Only an over later Yardy departed for the same score, hitting 16 from 28 deliveries. Stuart Clark extracted some seam movement off the Hove pitch and trapped Yardy on the pads. The ball seemed to be heading over the top but the umpire raised his finger sending Yardy back to the pavilion.

Sussex were now in a big hole at 34/2 and still a massive 529 runs behind. They needed a partnership from Ed Joyce and Carl Hopkinson but after a solid 52 run stand Siddle again made the breakthrough. Just an over after the players returned from lunch late swing did for Hopkinson as his straight drive skewed away off the edge to Katich at gully.

Ed Joyce meanwhile continued to flourish, smashing 12 runs from a rather erratic Hauritz over to bring up his half century in 55 balls. The pair of Joyce and Rory Hamilton-Brown took the score to 186/3 at tea, both batsmen handling the swinging conditions extremely well.

Tea came and went and the pair continued where they had left off, Joyce blasting Hauritz back over his head for four to bring up his century. Then came a lack of concentration as the very next ball Joyce chopped a short ball from Hauritz back onto his stumps sending him packing for exactly 100.

Hamilton-Brown had looked extremely comfortable against the swinging ball from Siddle and Clark but again Siddle proved his worth picking up another vital wicket. An almost identical delivery to that of Simon Jones' magic ball to Michael Clarke in the 2005 Ashes series did for Hamilton-Brown as he left a ball that looked like harmlessly missing the off stump. Instead it swung back and pegged back the off stump to leave Sussex once again in trouble at 209/5.

Siddle didn't stop there, as he troubled the new batsmen Andy Hodd from the very first delivery. After Hodd managed to squeeze a thick edge through the slip cordon and away for four Siddle got his revenge the very next ball. Hodd, expecting the in-swinger, played with an angled back as the ball held it's line. The ball hit the edge once again but this time flew to Katich at gully who took his second catch of the day.

Luke Wright reached his fifty from 72 balls as he and Robin Martin-Jenkins closed out the day on 292/6. After play Peter Siddle stated that he enjoyed the English conditions and Duke ball.

"I felt really comfortable bowling out there today. The ball swung all over the place for me and the conditions really suited my bowling. It's always nice to pick up wickets in the warm-up games as it gives you a major confidence boost going into the test series. Hopefully we can wrap up the innings early tomorrow morning and either have another bat or go for the killer blow."

? Cricinfo

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread