2021 ICC Men's T20 World Cup - India (UAE/Oman)

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Does any one have the schedule for the warm-ups?

I know India is playing England in one of the games, but what about the rest?

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
I have also been hearing that a section of social media fanatics have taken to blasting the Pakistanis for sporting the words 'UAE 2021' on their official jersey. Given the tournament is actually being played in the Emirates, they ought to sport this, right?

1633676704316.png

I mean, why is the likes of DNA carrying this article that blasts the Pak team? Shouldnt this be an ICC decision?

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
I have also been hearing that a section of social media fanatics have taken to blasting the Pakistanis for sporting the words 'UAE 2021' on their official jersey. Given the tournament is actually being played in the Emirates, they ought to sport this, right?

View attachment 255936

I mean, why is the likes of DNA carrying this article that blasts the Pak team? Shouldnt this be an ICC decision?

They're right, we are absolutely wrong on this, and deserve to be blasted and called "embarrassing". It should be "UAE and Oman 2021".

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Pakistan’s final squad

Babar Azam :c:
Mohammad Rizwan :wkb:
Fakhar Zaman
Haider Ali
Mohammad Hafeez
Shoaib Malik
Sarfraz Ahmed :wkb:
Asif Ali
Shadab Khan v/:c:
Imad Wasim
Mohammad Nawaz
Mohammad Wasim Jr.
Hasan Ali
Haris Rauf
Shaheen Afridi
Khushdil Shah (reserve)
Usman Qadir (reserve)
Shahnawaz Dahani (reserve)

Malik and Sarfraz's inclusions are ridiculous. Babar wanted them both. At best, they should be on the bench throughout the tournament. Azam and Iftikhar should’ve been in their places.

My ideal XI

Babar Azam :c:
Mohammad Rizwan :wkb:
Haider Ali/Fakhar Zaman
Mohammad Hafeez
Mohammad Nawaz
Asif Ali
Imad Wasim
Shadab Khan
Hasan Ali
Shaheen Afridi
Haris Rauf

Nawaz and Asif can be swapped depending on the situation.

@Na Maloom Afraad @AsadRM @ahmedleo414 @Umair7

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Malik and Sarfraz's inclusions are ridiculous.
Although if we win (and we won’t) it'd be nice for Sarfraz to be part of it, as he played a massive hand in rebuilding after the 2016 WT20.

Na Maloom Afraad

Man of Tomorrow
The Boys
Sarfraz's inclusion ahead of Azam is pure media pressure at work. Just baseless.
Malik and Sarfraz's inclusions are ridiculous. Babar wanted them both. At best, they should be on the bench throughout the tournament. Azam and Iftikhar should’ve been in their places.
Not really, Sarfaraz's inclusion in Azam's place is still somewhat justified.

Malik on the other hand, now THAT's media pressure. I think we've all seen everyone on our TV, to everyone with a blue tick mark on Pakistani Twitter clamor for Malik's inclusion, including ex-cricketers and other media personalities, so of course PCB bowed down to that pressure and made him part of the squad.

Sarfaraz on the other hand is basically a like-for-like replacement because Azam was our 'back-up' keeper, and apart from Sarfaraz, there was no other logical replacement for Azam who could also keep - now, this is one explanation if we're under the impression that Azam was dropped on bad form, it could very well be media pressure, but to drop one Karachite (two actually) for another Karachite isn't exactly done to make sure no one makes a fuss about it from Karachi's media.

You can compare Sarfaraz's NT20 stats with everyone, and he might not come up to the mark - but if you compare them to Azam's, he surpasses him. You add up the last PSL season Sarfaraz had, and put 'em next to Azam's PSL (or even CPL stats) from the year before, and Sarfaraz would be the clear winner. And of course they're going to go with someone who's a little more experienced, instead of, say Mohammad Haris (as you mentioned him earlier) or Rohail Nazir - for a global event like WT20.

This is not to say I support the decision of Sarfaraz's inclusion, I definitely would've preferred Azam instead, only because of his power-hitting abilities - but I'm just trying to make sense of it, kinda like playing devil's advocate. Media pressure doesn't make sense when you realize they're both from Karachi.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK

View attachment 255936

That is because, if you see the PNG (Papua New Guinea) jersey, it says "India 2021". All other teams are going to sport "India 2021" on their jerseys because India hold the hosting rights for this event and UAE are just providing their facilities.

Although honestly - I dont understand the reasoning behind putting the host country name on jerseys. Just say the year and that should be enough. Obviously there are countries with political conflicts (India and Pakistan) who will use this to make a political statement.

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Not really, Sarfaraz's inclusion in Azam's place is still somewhat justified.

Malik on the other hand, now THAT's media pressure. I think we've all seen everyone on our TV, to everyone with a blue tick mark on Pakistani Twitter clamor for Malik's inclusion, including ex-cricketers and other media personalities, so of course PCB bowed down to that pressure and made him part of the squad.

Sarfaraz on the other hand is basically a like-for-like replacement because Azam was our 'back-up' keeper, and apart from Sarfaraz, there was no other logical replacement for Azam who could also keep - now, this is one explanation if we're under the impression that Azam was dropped on bad form, it could very well be media pressure, but to drop one Karachite (two actually) for another Karachite isn't exactly done to make sure no one makes a fuss about it from Karachi's media.

You can compare Sarfaraz's NT20 stats with everyone, and he might not come up to the mark - but if you compare them to Azam's, he surpasses him. You add up the last PSL season Sarfaraz had, and put 'em next to Azam's PSL (or even CPL stats) from the year before, and Sarfaraz would be the clear winner. And of course they're going to go with someone who's a little more experienced, instead of, say Mohammad Haris (as you mentioned him earlier) or Rohail Nazir - for a global event like WT20.

This is not to say I support the decision of Sarfaraz's inclusion, I definitely would've preferred Azam instead, only because of his power-hitting abilities - but I'm just trying to make sense of it, kinda like playing devil's advocate. Media pressure doesn't make sense when you realize they're both from Karachi.
Wasn't referring to the Karachi angle, obviously doesn't make sense since Azam is also from there. But there definitely was lots of media support for Sarfraz being in the squad. Babar wanted him, Hafeez and Malik, apparently, so I guess that was the main reason. Sarfraz brings nothing to the team in terms of batting, he's an anchor who cannot bat below 4. Azam is already a world class spin hitter in the middle order, which is exactly what we're missing. Asif and Khushdil are better pace hitters.
What would be your preferred XI?

Users who are viewing this thread