2023 ICC Cricket World Cup (October/November) - India

Your 2023 Cricket World Cup Champions are?

• Australia

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • India

Votes: 12 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Australia's batting, it is quite weaker than India, especially Smith and Marnus at 4-5.
Australia plan is to bat around Smith/Labushane & they can take their time to settle in thanks to Head, Warner, Inglis, Marsh & Maxwell.

Australia biggest issue in this WC imo was that our bowling never clicked together in the group stage & when it finally did work, we restricted both India & Saffa under 250!

Last edited:
Australia plan is to bat around Smith/Labushane & they can take their time to settle in thanks to Head, Warner, Inglis, Marsh & Maxwell.

Australia biggest issue in this WC imo was that our bowling never clicked together in the group stage & when it finally did work, we restricted both India & Saffa under 250!
As i said, big-match temperament, planning and execution.

I will not say that I'm proud of this unit. We are mediocre in finals. It is a wonder that we actually beat NZ in Mumbai, must have been an aberration.

Same old story, every single time. No intent at all. Few wickets and then everyone goes silent. The bowling was sad too- Bumrah has been terrible in such games. He started the tournament off well, but has been absolutely sad in the finals.

I do not expect them to change anything. The only change I see is that Rohit will step down earlier than expected. My heart will go out to him alone, cause he was the one who led from the front in each game. Had he been selfish like 2 others yesterday, we might have had a different result.

Last edited:
I don't get what your theory is on this to be honest. They could have chosen to hit out and be aggressive and still chose not to because they were selfish... for what purpose? So that fans can throw brickbats at them like you're doing now? If you did watch the game you would have seen Cummins bowling exceptionally well, I don't even think prime Viv is going to be freely scoring off that. There was a slow dipping yorker that would have castled nearly every other batter on the planet which was barely turned into a single by Kohli for example. This feels like a "why didn't they just score centuries, are they stupid?" type of argument. You've even agreed that batting was easier in the second innings and that it's easier to pace an innings whilst chasing. I'm not siding with them on this either and I'm not sure why you keep reducing every disagreement into a versus thing honestly, I called out Rahul's lack of strike rotation and people here were defending him at that point let alone on r/cricket. The only other criticism was them letting Zampa and the sixth bowlers get away with their overs which I also pointed out.
Honestly, I don't get what you want to say. It is difficult to believe that batsmen, the calibre of Virat and KLR don't have their brains turned on in a final. There was no intent to score and these 2 played directly into the Aussie hands. I also refuse to believe that the pitch became better in the 2nd innings.

Whatever be the reasons for Virat and KLR, history will remember these selfish knocks as they remember Yuvraj's struggle in 2014 and other memorable ones.

You rightly said, we won't agree, so I'll leave it here. However,you yourself pointed out certain areas where the batsmen were bad. To me, they were too afraid to take charge and simply wanted to stat pad, which they did.

Didn't see the end as was off to bed at 3am, watched the rest after a run this morning and congrats to Australia, what an outstanding performance, as much as them being a team that's been hard to like as a New Zealander, they were just top drawer in their fielding, batting and of course bowling. Every base covered, you have to give it to them.

I would say commiserations to India, well I do to all their good supporters out there, but wow, I have to say that was the most bizarre and undignified presentation I've ever seen. I'd be embarrassed if we acted that way in public as New Zealanders. Pat Cummins given the cup and the officials immediately walk off leaving him completely alone on the stage!

We failed when it matters the most.

And its been the same story since last decade.

Dominating the group stages and failure in one of the knockouts.

You have to turn up and win such finals and if you don't you will always fell short.

Maybe I feel these bunch of players has that mental block to get over the line as the nucleus has been same since a decade.

Didn't see the end as was off to bed at 3am, watched the rest after a run this morning and congrats to Australia, what an outstanding performance, as much as them being a team that's been hard to like as a New Zealander, they were just top drawer in their fielding, batting and of course bowling. Every base covered, you have to give it to them.

I would say commiserations to India, well I do to all their good supporters out there, but wow, I have to say that was the most bizarre and undignified presentation I've ever seen. I'd be embarrassed if we acted that way in public as New Zealanders. Pat Cummins given the cup and the officials immediately walk off leaving him completely alone on the stage!

Australia's current team not likeable? How long have you been following cricket? This current Aussie group is a little way too likeable (obviously NZ are the beasts at it :D). Cummins, Head, Labuschagne, Hazlewood, Zampa, Stoinis, etc are very likeable.

On the presentation - I saw the video. Another example of being influenced by social media talk about how Ponting and his team once pushed Sharad Pawar off the stage after receiving the WC trophy from him (guess it was the 2007 WC). Clearly they had planned to make a quick exit from the stage after handing the trophy to Cummins, to avoid such gestures. But they should have known that Cummins is not that kind of a guy nor is most of the current Aussie team. Also India has a much stronger/powerful standing in the cricket world today, than what existed in 2007.

Among the gloom, the likeable factor is that the World Cup winning captain is very humble. As @SaiSrini pointed out above, it is difficult to not to like him. Cummins has been extraordinary as a leader and within a short span has achieved a lot. Full marks to him! Wonder where all his detractors have gone!

I have to say that was the most bizarre and undignified presentation I've ever seen. I'd be embarrassed if we acted that way in public as New Zealanders.
Bizarre- ok-especially that drone show at the end. What struck out was the fact that neither Jay Shah nor SRT seemed like they wanted to be present on the dias. If that was the case, they shouldn't have graced it. Also, Virat was given a free pass- no one heard him speak after receiving the M.O.S, just cause he was bumchums with Shastri? Would have been great had we gotten a look at his sad face whilst he tried to defend his pathetic finals knock.

I am embarrassed cause the event didn't warrant the drone and unnecessarily long fireworks show after the match. It seemed as though it was there for an Indian win. There was no Plan B- just in case Australia won.
Pat Cummins given the cup and the officials immediately walk off leaving him completely alone on the stage!

Could have been because of the fact that the last time the Aussies won an ICC event in India, they gently pushed Sharad Pawar, the then Board President off the dias.

Maybe the crowd were booing because they were once again told it was going to be India v Pakistan.
Crowd was really sad! It was like watching the game on mute. Whats the point of having a 100,000 persons at the stadium, if they aren't going to bring out their best. Put a 100,000 Aussies and they would have made waves out there. Many have pointed out and I concure, Ahmedabad doesnt deserve another World Cup Final- at best, could get a Quarter Final, nothing more.

Australia's current team not likeable? How long have you been following cricket? This current Aussie group is a little way too likeable (obviously NZ are the beasts at it :D). Cummins, Head, Labuschagne, Hazlewood, Zampa, Stoinis, etc are very likeable.

On the presentation - I saw the video. Another example of being influenced by social media talk about how Ponting and his team once pushed Sharad Pawar off the stage after receiving the WC trophy from him (guess it was the 2007 WC). Clearly they had planned to make a quick exit from the stage after handing the trophy to Cummins, to avoid such gestures. But they should have known that Cummins is not that kind of a guy nor is most of the current Aussie team. Also India has a much stronger/powerful standing in the cricket world today, than what existed in 2007.
How long have I been following cricket? About 43 years and yes I agree about those Australian players in particular, I was making reference to the fact that it's hard to like a side that beats my team about 8 times out of 10, nothing against the team themselves.

As for the the presentation possibly being some sort of revenge for 2007, well you get revenge against the guilty, not other people 16 years later. :p I don't care how powerful any cricket nation is, that's just more reason for them to be an example.

As for the the presentation possibly being some sort of revenge for 2007, well you get revenge against the guilty, not other people 16 years later. :p I don't care how powerful any cricket nation is, that's just more reason for them to be an example.
Can't be a revenge action- as it is they are from opposing parties- Pawar and the others.

Btw, it was from 2006 - ICC CT which was held in India.

Btw, India can officially crown themselves "World Chokers" -nothing bigger than getting this crown in your own backyard! :Cheersmate:

Users who are viewing this thread