22 Yards - The Battleground (PC/XBOX 360) - Some Eye Candies in the Thread

So far, what do you feel about this game?

• Total voters

das_vicky

International Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Is There any chance of a iphone4 port?

We are at a stage where on paper we would be able to deliver anything. But practically its not possible. To make the game stand out, we need to do something extra for PC. Then when we port to Xbox 360, those "extra" has to be implemented differently and those are time taking. And there's a lot to be done to make this game fulfilling, so I am afraid, port to PS3 or Iphone or Windows Phone may not be feasible till next release.

thedon5

Panel of Selectors
You could release a console and handheld version something like 6 months after the PC release. Don't let consoles bog down the lead development platform, consoles and hendhelds are secondary in this project.

das_vicky

International Cricketer
You are correct, but that another debate. Games on PC doesnt reach as far as Games on Console/Mobile platform does... So these are not secondary. But having said that we are aiming V1 at PC (to resurrect Cricket gaming on PC ;))

thedon5

Panel of Selectors
You are correct, but that another debate. Games on PC doesnt reach as far as Games on Console/Mobile platform does... So these are not secondary. But having said that we are aiming V1 at PC (to resurrect Cricket gaming on PC ;))

Yeah, I know, I traditionally hate PC gaming. I am a console player. But the thing is, porting the game to different platforms shouldn't make the PC game any worse. The PC game should be as good as possible as it shows the potential of the game.

das_vicky

International Cricketer
Good point made about - "porting the game to different platforms shouldn't make the PC game any worse". But with limited resources when companies choose the path that makes most profit.

das_vicky

International Cricketer
Hello All,

Hope all are doing great. Last two weeks has been pretty hectic as usual. Pradeep trying hard on Bowler model and its animation. It may take some time till he gets that done. In the meanwhile, I was hell bent on implementing some important effects.

1) Shadows
2) Bloom
3) HDR

My current shadow implementation is a Shadow Map with 4?4 PCF filtering and took an unexpected 6 days to implement. For details, you can search using in your favorite search engine. But my scene is really big and to get more quality I may have to use Parallel Split Shadow Maps. But I will look into that later. My laptop which has ATI Radeon HD 3670, runs the game at constant 60 FPS (as I am using Fixed time step) but with the shadows it comes down to 25 FPS. But on some research found that this is expected and shadows are some of the most taxing parts of Game rendering.

I also added a basic Bloom Effect with a basic Blur. When I next get chance I would change the normal blur to Gaussian Blur. It has some variable parameters that can change the overall bloom effect.

Haven’t started to work on HDR but will be doing that very soon. In the meanwhile we are also borrowing support from Vikas who will be helping us on 2D textures. So if you don’t like the Pitch/Ground textures, you know whom to catch (just kidding).

From a game engine perspective, I can now formally make it public that we will be implementing a Dynamic Time of Day. What does it mean? Well, basically we have an inbuilt timer which in conjunction with the game timer will simulate time of day. So based on time of day, the light direction color changes too…so you can expect same behavior in game as well .

Sorry for more-than-required technical details, but unfortunately nothing else was done either .

Now you can follow me on twitter.com/das_vicky.

Some sample views of "before and after" bloom effect can also found in our official blog.

das_vicky

International Cricketer
Hello All,

Hope everyone is doing well. “Lazy week” would be a massively understatement to describe our work in past two weeks. As everyone knows, we all work part time on this project and there are other priorities that needs to be taken care. Considering that I would consider ourshelves lucky that all 4 of us were pulled into some other priorities at same time. It means that the loss is time is minimal. Our 3D modeller was pulled into a commercial modelling project and was out of 2 weeks. Simillarly our 2D asset developers got into something personal. As far I am concerned (das), I thought it would be a good break for me as I have been toiling hard for past 3 months and hardly gave any time to family.

It was a refreshing break. In the meanwhile, I just bought myself a new Development machine with high end graphics cards etc..Soon I will be getting another monitor and working on the new Development machine, because the features we are adding is rendering slow on my laptop. Ofcourse you should not worry because these advanced features can be turned off so that its playable on low end cards also.

So this week marks the reboot of the work and I am sure it will take atmost 2-3 days to gain full momentum. At the same time from a “Business” perspective, we are in discussions of moving us to a new webspace and manage that full time. We are now getting into stage where we need 3D Animators. So if you are interested or if you know someone who may be interested do let us know and we would be happy to speak to them.

Users who are viewing this thread