2nd Test: Australia v England at The Adelaide Oval, Adelaide, 5-9 Dec

Well yeah ideally you'd want all three of them gone as quickly as possible but I think that's unlikely.

I can't help but have a nagging feeling that in this test that Cook has tried to be an aggressive captain. First reason, for the choice of the team. Second, the way the team talks were held out and some of the field placements were odd.

I doubt Cook has final say on the selection, more likely to be an Andy Flower plan in that regard.

Short boundaries are so depressing. Especially when they're square to the wicket.

Something tells me that today is not going to be our day :facepalm

Poor Ben Stokes, feel sorry for him. At least he got one

Didn't expect Australia to be in such a dominant position at this point. Would have taken 400 given we were 5 down at the start of the day. Unlucky for Stokes getting Haddin out of a no ball, reminded me of Michael Beer. Good to see the tail cash in on some runs. Harris is a reasonable tailender, might find himself above Siddle if he keeps playing like that.

I feel like we could have a reverse of Amazing Adelaide for some reason. I think I may have turned into an England supporter...

I can't remember the last time Johnson was this fast

Five bowler theory, 570/9d - wow! As if they couldn't have not bowled out the aussies for nearly 600 with only four bowlers :facepalm

And of course one flaw with playing five bowlers is the captain has the overwhelming job of deciding who to bowl, and invariably doesn't turn to his decent options of spinners in Root, KP and even Carberry.

And now Cook is out for 3, England had better post 300+ or this will be a completed disaster

Gotta :facepalm Swann for his comments trying to make out dropping catches is ok because they work hard on fielding and "hopefully" will take chances - too f in late now sonny jim, you need to take them when it matters not "hopefully" next time

Reckon we're in deep trouble here, 2-3 wickets tomorrow morning on top of any more might fall tonight and we're facing an uphill struggle. Didn't England declare 551/6d in 06/07 here? Only 19 runs less than the aussies, it was the right call but England didn't take their chance(s) when they had the aussies on the ropes and fell apart, bet there isn't any murmur of it being wrong to declare here.

----------

Big test of Carberry, scores so far of 30 & 34 (vs BAN) and 40 & 0 (vs AUS), needs to go on from 20no and make at least a big fifty if not hundred

Bear in mind that you don't necessarily pick bowlers to get a first innings lead at Adelaide. Often the first innings is just a matter of staying in the hunt.

Nightmare. Important toss to lose and I reckon despite the result in the summer we all knew this was possible.

I think some wanted to believe the aussies were lucky not to lose 5-0, the truth is we were the better side but not by a convincing margin.

We need Carberry and Root to get us through to lunch I reckon, maybe one wicket lost would be ok but really we need to make at least 300 if not 400 and our batting is not looking too reliable, it was the bowling in the main and aussie batting that secured the comfortable retention of the Ashes

England just didn't take their chances, simple as that. Should've had Australia all out for 300-350. They seem exhausted and rattled. They are just waiting for Australia to implode themselves.

I think Australia has taken an attacking mindset and Cook is all at sea as a captain when you attack. He bowled Broad this morning only for a few, and bowled way too much spin against Australia's 2 best players of spin. Picking 2 spinners in Australia at Adelaide just because Swann took a few here last time and the groudsman said it should turn late in the test doesn't all of a sudden make it an indian dust bowl worthy of 2 spinners. It was a strange selection that may only have come off if (a) Australia didnt have a history of smacking visiting spinners to all parts and (b) they won the toss.

For me the seamers have looked the most dangerous the whole game. The new ball has nibbled and the old ball has had variable bounce and is reversing. Its gonna be hard work in the 4th innings. What is going on with Anderson though? He seems well down on pace and the Aussies are playing him with ease.

I wouldn't expect anyone but the usual's digging England out of a massive deficit - KP and Bell. I'm sure KP will fire, his dismissals so far have been lazy, just falling for traps. England bat deep and if Nathan Lyon can hit a six, it must be pretty easy batting. Wonder how Stokes will go - was pretty decent with the ball. If he does go alright, will be interesting to see if they bring Bresnan in for Panesar in the next test. Cook/Carbs/Root/KP/Bell/Stokes/Prior/Bresnan/Broad/Swann/Anderson
Quite a few bowling and batting options in there. But musical chairs in selection rarely works, Australia can attest to that.

Last edited:
I'm going to be seeing Haddin top edging sixes over square leg in my nightmares.

Users who are viewing this thread