A suggestion for more realistic batting.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Online Cricket Games Owned
Several members have stated that the batting process isn't realistic enough in this game and, in fairness, in pretty much all cricket games that have ever come out. EA have tried putting the camera behind the batsman, which is quite good for balls that are pitched up, but very awkward to judge when the ball is short and around the batsman's ears, or very wide.

So what I suggest is this:

Two modes of batting - one called 'arcade' and one called 'realistic'.

Arcade will stay as it is now - you can choose your shot direction and foot selection as soon as the delivery is confirmed and the bowler begins his run in.

Realistic will feature several differences. You won't be able to choose your shot direction, or foot selection until the green marker (that shows exactly where the ball will pitch) appears - when you first come in. The longer you stay in and the higher your confidence gets, the earlier you'll be able to choose your shot direction/foot selection, but it will never be as early as it is now (some kind of indication will be needed to show when you can make your choice - maybe the bowler's reticule could change colour).

This will simulate a batsman's increased ability to 'see' the ball as they spend more time at the crease, in much the same way that increased confidence increases the batsman's ability to time the ball. I am confident that such a system would bring an end to the ability to slog as soon as you come in, that some people do and it should also result in even top order players looking uncomfortable when they first start their innings. It sounds almost impossible in theory, but I have been able to successfully adjust my shot choice with those deliveries that appear to pitch in a different location than the bowling reticule indicates.
As for batsman's movement across the crease, that will remain as it is now.

As well as this, with 'realistic batting', a defensive shot system could be used whereby you hold the button down to push at the ball more (meaning it could go for more runs, even a boundary, but you'd also stand a better chance of getting out), or just tap the button for an ordinary defensive shot.

So, 'easy', 'medium' and 'hard' will mean more than they do right now: 'Easy' would come with 'arcade' batting, as well as easier timing, 'Medium' will come with a choice of either and 'Hard' will be compulsory 'realistic' batting.

What do you guys think? It's just an idea I've been kicking around and probably needs fine tuning (by someone who understands how to do such things), but I reckon it could work and revolutionise the way we bat in cricket games. For those who just want to slog, there will be 'easy/arcade', for those who want a stiffer challenge 'medium/realistic' and then for the real experts, 'hard/realistic'. :)

Its a good idea and fined tuned and working perfect then maybe it would work ok but here are some questions i have.

1, When will the marker become visible when the bowler releases the ball, halfway though his run up or when he arrives at the crease.

2, Kinda the like the first but as confidence grows how early will the batsmen be able to pick the ball?

A concern i have for the idea if you see it to late which wouldn't be your fault it would be programmed in as you've just arrived at the cease. With fast bowlers to get a good or perfect shot you pretty much have to hit the button as he releases the ball.I feel even if you can see the pitch as he arrives at the cease it won't really give you enough time to aim and then hit a button. The average human brain needs 0.200 secs to react to a situation so you would have to really have fast reactions or be able to train yourself to react quck enough.

On the other hand i feel that any earlier than the seeing the pitch as he arrives at the cease would pretty much be the same after a few overs of playing with the new system as it is now and people who slog will be able to really to slogging.

On the other hand if it is every made i personally feel that it is a good idea if done properly and would find it a welcome addition to AC09.

We could always go one step further and stick the camera in the batsmen head :)

A concern i have for the idea if you see it to late which wouldn't be your fault it would be programmed in as you've just arrived at the cease. With fast bowlers to get a good or perfect shot you pretty much have to hit the button as he releases the ball.

Funny, I haven't found that. I play the shot when the line of the ball and the shot I've chosen will meet. Maybe it's because you haven't had the game that long? It gets easier the longer you have it - I never press the button until the ball has pitched. :) Playing on Hard mode, by the way.

You don't press it till it pitches? :eek:

I think you'll find you do!

I am pretty sure something on the similar lines is already being implemented in TAOC.

You don't press it till it pitches? :eek:

I think you'll find you do!

I think I'm aware of when I press the button :sarcasm and it's never just as the ball has left the bowler's hand. It's after, or just before the ball pitches.

I think I'm aware of when I press the button :sarcasm and it's never just as the ball has left the bowler's hand. It's after, or just before the ball pitches.

I think we need to see a video of you actually doing it to really believe you!:D I mean rumour has it that you actually press the button before the coin toss and it is very important to find out whats really going on!

On a more serious note, I find it incredibily hard to wait that long although I feel it is unrelistic for me to be playing my shot before the ball has left the bowlers hand (in the case of the really fast bowlers who bowl so fast that the break the world bowling speed record 3 or 4 times an over and would probably give Mr Bolt a run for his money, nice pun there!) I mean I know there can be pre-mediated shots but even then the batsmen adjusts himself according to the actual ball coming towards him. Anyway if you have any tips on this I would be grateful. I mentioned yesterday somewhere that I have changed my logitech in for an 360 controller and the response time has hugely improved.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am pretty sure something on the similar lines is already being implemented in TAOC.

correct. we are working on that perfect time for the marker to appear where you'll get just enough time to select your shot and footwork.
not too late to make the batting extremely hard and not too early so that you are put into that comfort zone !

may be we can implement this idea as well ??

e.g there is a particular attribute that we have i.e "Reading The Ball".
so, what the marker shows may not be the perfect region of the ball pitching.

at the last moment/release of the delivery, the marker will change to another colour / area depending on the ratings of your
"reading the ball" Stat. so guys like tendulkar and ponting will most of the times predict the final marker position
but a tailenders prediction might be way off many a times...??

this also gives an opportunity to see the ball till the last moment and defend if your unsure about the prediction..

Last edited:
Good idea masterblaster, one i had myself was that i instead of having a big bowling reticule to aim with you just have a dot and then factors such as wind, ball swing, bowlers accuracy for example would cause it to deviate away from where you have aimed it, therefore making it more difficult to predict as to where it would land. It should also be made easier to play and miss as at the moment for this to happen yr reactions would have to be shot to pieces!!

Good idea masterblaster, one i had myself was that i instead of having a big bowling reticule to aim with you just have a dot and then factors such as wind, ball swing, bowlers accuracy for example would cause it to deviate away from where you have aimed it, therefore making it more difficult to predict as to where it would land. It should also be made easier to play and miss as at the moment for this to happen yr reactions would have to be shot to pieces!!
I agree, since the deviation of the ball after it pitches should be unpredictible like real cricket since in real life not every ball bowled by seamer is on perfect seam position and does not swing remarkably after pitching .

I think the game would work more the way people hope for if confidence changed differently in a Test (much harder to gain for batsmen) and if the AI could choose its lengths more naturally, or at least be aware that it needs onside protection if it decides to bowl bouncers.

Not Trying to Rant, because frankly - I love the game

But the Batting, Bowling and Fielding could be improved (or unimproved :laugh)

The Bowlers run in with straight backs which looks silly. And its too hard to find the edge/get LBWs/bowled

Catching is brilliant I think. Much better than BLIC2007 :thumbs

Batting is quite unrealistic with the run rates etc which many people have commented on. But I find that its also the Run Outs and general batting skills which is too high causing this run rate of +7 and there is no way to change Eng/Aus stats....

...except if you create the same person change there stats then add them instead of the person (eg. Create James Anderson and put his pace up. Then replace the original James Anderson with this one :))

I definately agree with the idea of having two modes of batting (and bowling as well I might add). Any fan of cricket will struggle to see how this game bares true resemblance to sport of cricket. Where are the thin edges, inconsisent bounce, playing and missing defensive shots??? It's as if the people who designed this game haven't watched a cricket match in their lives.

If they can release a patch or something to make the game more realistic, then I will start playing it again but until that time it will remain on my shelf collecting dust.

Agreed, the reticule is far too big.

Users who are viewing this thread