Story ABN-AMRO Twenty-20 Cup 2005-06 [BLIC PS2]

In the ABN Amro Twenty20 Cup! I watched it live. They did use an orange ball, first time in Twenty20 history.
Even Waqar was suprised...

Zoraxdoom ;
Kool Kool, anyway lets hope Imran Farhat plays well in this series :p.

The_gas ;
yeah i think so...

Afridi is supposed to be with karachi.----Good work man,It was Brilliant,but the Pics Hurt my eyes =D

Yeah, really sorry about the poor photo quality, guys. My PC version BLIC crashed recently so I've had to rely on my PS2 version, taking photos with a digital camera! As soon as I get a new copy of the game, I'll start posting normal screenshots for the match reports!

hassan17- Are you sure Afridi plays for Karachi? I always thought he came from Peshawar.

AZIZ THRILLED BY WIN

ptv-logo.gif
Man of the Match Pervez Aziz stated in a post-match interview that he was 'thrilled by the Rawalpindi Ram's victory over the Sialkot Stallions'. Aziz, who was awarded Man of the Match for his valiant innings of 57 that ultimately won the match for the Rams, said that it is 'always important to have a good start to a series'. When asked if his good form would continue for the rest of the Cup, he replied, 'I will pray to Allah (God) and hope for the best. We have some tough games coming up so we will have to wait and see'.

Last edited:
In the ABN Amro Twenty20 Cup! I watched it live. They did use an orange ball, first time in Twenty20 history.
Even Waqar was suprised...
They used orange ball expermenting. Because here in pakistan when the cricket season starts day light create problems as u have seen in recently England and India series. When they on flood lights player still complain that they cannot see the usual test red ball so they r trying orange ball to see if it works.

MULTAN TIGERS VS KARACHI DOLPHINS

ptv-logo.gif

Waqar Younis: Here we are again at the National Stadium to watch the second match of the ABN-AMRO Twenty-20 Cup, the Multan Tigers versus the Karachi Dolphins. It's a lovely evening here in Karachi and the crowd has steadily been building in anticipation of this match.

Stadium3.jpg

Waqar Younis: The pitch should play more or less like it did in the last match: the track is hard and fast; ideal for scoring runs. Well, it seems like the two captains are down on the grounds with the umpire. Let's see who wins the toss.

CoinToss2.jpg

Waqar Younis: Inzi called the toss correctly and the Multan Tigers have decided to bat first. After the break we'll bring you all the action from the first innings!

MULTAN TIGERS 1st INNINGS

Rameez Raja: Azhar Shafiq and Usman Tariq opened the innings for the Multan Tigers and they started off rather well. Fours and sixes came from the off, as the two aggressive batsmen went about attacking the ball. They brought up the 50 within the first five overs, and didn't look like stopping there. Luckily for the Dolphins though, they got the breakthrough halfway through the seventh over, when they ran out Shafiq, his innings ending for a quickfire 48 off 24 balls.

Departure2.jpg

Rameez Raja: Next in, however, was Pakistan and Tigers' skipper, Inzamam-ul-Haq. The pair continued to blast the hapless bowlers for boundaries. They got the Tigers pass the 100 mark in almost no time and as they neared the 150 milestone, Tariq got his well-deserved 50. The crowd were on their feet, applauding a fine innings.

Tariq50.jpg

Hawkeye2.jpg

Rameez Raja: Inzamam was next to get his 50, getting his half-century in just 20 balls. 42 of those runs came from boundaries!

Inzi50.jpg

Rameez Raja: The two batsmen continued to cause chaos to the Dolphins bowlers' economy rates, dealing out plenty of punishment to the ball. The Tigers were past the 200 mark before Inzamam finally got caught trying to hook a short ball. The captain left for an amazing 82 off 39 balls. The innings was more or less over by then, the Multan Tigers finishing on a very respectable 215-2, with Tariq not out 82 from 57 balls. Well, this is a huge total in terms of Twenty-20 cricket, so the Karachi Dolphins will have a lot of work to do if they have any chance of winning this match. So viewers, feast your eyes upon these scorecards before we rejoin Waqar in the studio.

scorecard6.jpg

scorecard7.jpg

KARACHI DOLPHINS 1st INNINGS

Abdul Qadir: Welcome back to this Twenty-20 match between the Multan Tigers and the Karachi Dolphins. Agha Sabir and Khalid Latif came out to open the batting for the Dolphins, expecting a tough battle. They had to chase over 200 runs at over 10.00 runs per over under the floodlights.
Sabir and Latif started the batting off in fine fashion, slogging the ball all around the park. The 50 came up very quickly and as they neared the 100 mark everything seemed on track. But then Sabir had a momentary lapse of concentration and paid for it with his wicket, lofting a slower ball right into Hussain's hands. He left for 45 from 20 balls, which in all fairness was a great score but simply not enough in an innings where his team needed him to stay at the crease and keep the run rate on track. Latif, the other opener, was next to follow, as he as well played a loose shot that Hussain caught easily. Latif left for a dashing 49 off 36 balls. The Dolphins were 102-2 at this point, but trouble was soon to follow.

Arrival2.jpg

Abdul Qadir: The middle order were torn apart by the Tigers' bowlers, who played rash shots in a desperate attempt to keep the required run rate from getting too high. Chief among the wicket takers was Bin Nasir, who sent Alam, Ayaz and Hasnain all back for ducks. There was some resistance at the bottom of the order by Aftab (not out 24 from 8 balls), but the Dolphins were eventually all out for a disappointing 148.

Departure3.jpg

Abdul Qadir: Well, all in all a terrific victory for the Multan Tigers. A 200+ score was always going to be a very difficult target to chase down, but credit also has to be given to the Multan bowlers, who played well to put the Dolphins' batsmen under pressure. I'm sure Waqar has plenty to say about this match, so one quick look at the scorecards before we head back to the studio.

scorecard8.jpg

scorecard9.jpg

MATCH PREVIEW:
LAHORE LIONS VS PESHAWAR PANTHERS

Preview.jpg

The highlight of Round One of the ABN-AMRO Twenty-20 Cup surely must be the upcoming Lahore Lions vs. Peshawar Panthers match. Both teams contain high-profile Pakistani internationals such as Kamran Akmal, Mohammad Yousuf and Younis Khan. And lest we forget: two of the world's biggest hitters as well: Abdul Razzaq and Shahid Afridi. Big scores and big hits are promised for a fixture like this!

cricinfo_logo.gif
Reporters from cricinfo.com went about the sunny city of Karachi today, taking in the unique atmosphere and eastern culture. The Lahore vs. Peshawar match was of course a main talking point across the city, from the crowded bazaars to school playgrounds. Everyone was looking forward to the likes of Afridi, Razzaq and Akmal duel it out at the National Stadium. After the locals saw their home team suffer a crushing defeat at the hands of the Multan Tigers, they were all eager to witness this exciting match to get their morale back up. Our reporters mingled with the crowd to learn what all the gossip was about:

[Talking to a group of college students]
So who do you think is going to win this match, guys?
Most of us think that this is going to be a walkover by the Lahore Lions. The Panthers may have one or two good players in the form of Younis Khan and Shahid Afridi, but the rest of their team is made up of inexperienced players.

So I take it that you lot are dedicated Lions supporters?
[Laughing] Yes, you can say that. The Karachi Dolphins are of course our home team so we will support them but Lahore are our second favourites.

[Talking to shop keepers at a bazaar]
All these people coming to watch the matches must mean more buisness for you, eh?
Ya ya. All people come in afternoon before match to buy things, you see? They buy orange juice, sweets, mangoes, Pepsi. It very good for buisness. I get more money, you see? You buy anything?

No thank you, I'm fine! Will you be going to watch the Lahore Lions vs. the Peshawar Panthers match?
Ya, I hope. I take all my children with me! But some person need to look after shop while I gone. Will you look after shop for me?

LAHORE LIONS VS PESHAWAR PANTHERS

ptv-logo.gif

Waqar Younis: Welcome to what we hope will be a highly competitive match between the Lahore Lions and the Peshawar Panthers. The crowd really have come in their thousands tonight, the National Stadium nearly packed full for this match. The fans have put a lot of posters, signs and flags on display, giving the stadium a really colourful look. And no suprises, 'Boom Boom Afridi' is a favourite here. Just wait for the roar that'll spread around the National Stadium when the man himself comes out to bat. The groundsmen really have done a great job with the pitch; the track promises a lot of runs. And speaking of the pitch, the umpire is down there with the two captains.

CoinToss3.jpg

Waqar Younis: Well, Abdul Razzaq won the toss and the Lahore Lions will be batting first. It's going to be a great match so don't go away!

LAHORE LIONS 1st INNINGS

Abdul Qadir: Imran Farhat and Kamran Akmal came out to open the innings for the Lions, cheered on by excited fans. They were hoping to make a good start, but the Panthers' bowlers saw to that and took the big wicket of Kamran Akmal, who played an optimistic shot straight into the hands of Sarfraz, the Pakistani wicketkeeper leaving for only 1 off 4 balls. Farhat and Yousuf then went about raising the runrate, but then the Lions lost another wicket too early in the innings- this time it was Farhat who was beaten for sheer pace by Aslam, leaving for a modest score of 37 off 16 balls. The captain, Razzaq, was next come in but he was soon dispatched by Riaz Afridi, the skipper furious at himself for leaving for a low score of 14 off 14 balls. The Lions were 81-3 and in all sorts of trouble. But Mohammad Yousuf turned out to be their trump card, as he managed to get a quick fifty despite all the chaos around him.

Yousuf50.jpg

Abdul Qadir: Malik and Yousuf then put together a strong partnership that saw the Lions out of trouble. They played carefully, fully focused on the task, but still dispatching a bad ball to the boundary. Yousuf decided to have a go at the bowlers during the last few overs (blasting 15 runs off Shahid Afridi's only over), becoming the first player in the Cup to get a century.

Yousuf100.jpg

Abdul Qadir: The Lahore Lions finished on 199-3, which was not only a terrific score but one much better than they could have hoped for, as they were 81-3 at one point! Mohammad Yousuf's ton was easily the highlight of the innings, as not only did he become the first man in the Cup to register a 100 but also hit the most sixes in a Twenty-20 innings (10). And so one last look at the scorecards before the break.

scorecard10.jpg

scorecard11.jpg

IMPORTANT NOTE: Due to my PC crashing recently, I've lost all the data/photos I had on the ABN-AMRO Cup. What I can still do is post below a summary of what happened in the Peshawar Panthers innings. Obviously I don't have any proof (i.e. second innings scorecards) to back my statements, so I guess you'll just have to trust me! :p

PESHAWAR PANTHERS 1st INNINGS HIGHLIGHTS

Rameez Raja: The National Stadium errupted into cheers as soon as one man walked out into the middle. That's right, Shahid Khan Afridi. The crowd were expecting a big innings from him, and so they should because him and Akthar Sarfraz had a lot of work to do if they wanted to win this match for the Panthers. Remember, they have been set a target of 200 to win by the Lions.
Unfortunately for the Panthers (and probably most of the crowd who had come to see him), Afridi got caught out very early on in the innings, sending the National Stadium into a stunned silence. He left for just 9 runs, failing to score any of the big sixes he had promised his fans.

AfridiDeparture.jpg
The Lions pick up the huge wicket of Shahid Afridi early in the innings.

Rameez Raja: The top order was more or less demolished by the likes of Razzaq, and by the time the skipper, Younis Khan, came out to bat the Panthers were 80/4 and didn't have a lot of overs left. However, Khan played a real captain's innings, carefully finding the gaps and picking off the less experienced bowlers. Together with Aftab Alam he forged a partnership that got the Panthers past the 150 mark and that's when the fireworks started. The pair, sensing that victory was near, went about slogging the ball everywhere, getting multiple boundaries in every over.

YounisHit.jpg
Younis Khan guides his team to victory.

Rameez Raja: When Khan and Alam were finally dispatched of, the match had already been won by the Peshawar Panthers. All the tailenders had to was to get a couple more runs on the board which would see them past the 200 mark. This they successfully managed to do, meaning that after a hotly contested match, it was the Panthers who came out on top against all the odds, winning the match by two wickets. Back to Waqar in the studio now, but remember, we'll be back soon for a special 'Round One Analysis' show, which will include the best moments from the opening phase of the Cup and also comments from some well-known faces.

Users who are viewing this thread