Academy release 0.0.69 - discussion

grkrama

National Board President
How does the new spin bowling control work im finding it tough to rotate LS and the timing to do it!

My spin always results in weak, what am i doing wrong!

SibiNaayagam

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
@Plotinus Just to note that the jerkiness in a camera is usually because of only two reasons. One is a higher shutterspeed and the other low framerate. Lower Shutterspeed and increasing framerate (48-60fps) will always give you a smooth look but yet you will feel nauseated cause your mind is not controlling the movement. This is also why you don't feel nauseated when you move the camera with your hand...because you control it.

Plotinus

Associate Captain
Some observations on wrist spin now that I've spent more time with it. Something has definitely changed in terms of the interaction...but I can't quite work out what. As a result I am struggling to get many revs most of the time...since years of DBC14 has trained me to use the LS in a certain manner that no longer seems effective. In some ways this is good because it means that you need to do well to get the ball to turn (I just don't know what I'm supposed to do well).

The amount of turn seems to have been toned down but now, crucially (unless I'm completely misinterpreting it) the amount of revs really affects the amount of turn...which it never seemed to in DBC14 or early versions of DBC17 beta. If this is the case (and bearing in mind that I'm only getting good revs through luck rather than intent) then this is again going to improve the spin experience...although I love to be able to turn the ball square, I don't want it to be so easy that I just do it with every delivery...I sometimes want to be as surprised as the batter at how much (or how little) turn I get...so a closer correlation with revs would be good for variation.

The flight and bounce adjustments are still a bit of a mystery to me. I'm not bowling particularly consistently but it seems as though adding a bounce adjustment reduces the amount of bounce compared with a flighted delivery...whereas I would expect the opposite. Again could just be me on this but I'd appreciate anyone's advice on how to use these adjustments.

Another minor thing (when batting now) but has the bowling machine beep disappeared...or have I done something in the settings? The machine seems completely silent now.

grkrama

National Board President
Nope right now unless im missing something very obvious you have to be a quick time Nazi to get any amount of spin input!

I liked the earlier spin system very much! Even though it was a bit easy was hoping for conditions skills attribs to even it out and vary it for bowlers, rather than hardness through controls!

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Some observations on wrist spin now that I've spent more time with it. Something has definitely changed in terms of the interaction...but I can't quite work out what. As a result I am struggling to get many revs most of the time...since years of DBC14 has trained me to use the LS in a certain manner that no longer seems effective. In some ways this is good because it means that you need to do well to get the ball to turn (I just don't know what I'm supposed to do well).

That reminds me that one of the areas of improvements in DBC 14 was a lack of gameplay tutorials/training mode where the game walked you through what needs to be done and how to improve. Nearly every sport game has such a mode and it makes the game accessible for newbies and a welcome refresher for veterans. Would love to know from @MattW or @BigAntStudios whether there are plans to have some sort of training/tutorial mode which teaches us basics of gameplay and controls?

rishabh9627

Club Captain
Profile Flag
India
I don't know if it's just me, but I haven't been able to connect a single hook shot. I have tried it for an hour now, and I got a dozen of all Greens, yet not even an edge. Maybe I'm wrong somewhere?
happened with me too
reason being that the ball does not have that much bounce in it to reach the height appropriate for playing hook shot
but i am very happy with the animation of hook shot
just like real cricket
getting his right leg out of the way to make room and generate power

rishabh9627

Club Captain
Profile Flag
India
i am still not able to play a pull shot in 2 - 5 o clock direction ( from broadcast cam - right handed ) for a boundary
please post a video if anyone has been able to do that[DOUBLEPOST=1472232205][/DOUBLEPOST]
Another minor thing (when batting now) but has the bowling machine beep disappeared...or have I done something in the settings? The machine seems completely silent now.
happened with me too but only for some balls not all of them

SibiNaayagam

International Coach
i am still not able to play a pull shot in 2 - 5 o clock direction ( from broadcast cam - right handed ) for a boundary
please post a video if anyone has been able to do that[DOUBLEPOST=1472232205][/DOUBLEPOST]
happened with me too but only for some balls not all of them

I guess that must be due to ball physics. Those will be optimised during release.

chaman82

County Cricketer
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
God I wish I was still moderating..........

This item .

Has he given any constructive feedback?
I'm going to file a written complaint to the highest authority.

Dutch I luv u

Ajh1977

International Coach
Profile Flag
England
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Nope right now unless im missing something very obvious you have to be a quick time Nazi to get any amount of spin input!

I liked the earlier spin system very much! Even though it was a bit easy was hoping for conditions skills attribs to even it out and vary it for bowlers, rather than hardness through controls!

Definitely agree with this. I feel attributes, conditions should dictate more and i'd hoped the amount off turn we saw pre update was indicative of maybe 75% of the full turn amount available.

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
I just gave up on bowling spin with the change made in the update..Hope its reverted back to how it was before...I really liked bowling it that way..

Ajh1977

International Coach
Profile Flag
England
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Yep I had posted after previous update how happy I was with how the turn was superb. Turning a ball from outside leg to hit off stump. The only thing I'd possibly add is the ability to control the amount of turn via fewer/more revs up to 5 revs. Can't get a single green spin input atm which is a shame since it was so good before, albeit a little easy.

kamrul

Associate Captain
Loving everything about batting. But couldn't connect hook even once. May be the lack of bounce is causing this.
Previous mechanism of bowling spin seems better to me. Not understanding this new system at all.
Pace bowling causing the ball to cut and swing less than before may be.
New batting animations look very sleek. Thanks BA :)

FollowOn

Club Captain
Definitely agree with this. I feel attributes, conditions should dictate more and i'd hoped the amount off turn we saw pre update was indicative of maybe 75% of the full turn amount available.

Agreed controls should be simplify also there should be more randomize element which defines the final amount of movement on the ball so when you get perfect release and jump two times the ball will not spin/swing/seam exactly the same way.

UnknownSoul

Associate Cricketer
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
From the few moments i have played this recent update. Bowling swing with pace after it passes the bat seems to go way too much in my opinion at least. keepers would be all over the place diving past 2nd slip and way down leg. Also spin bowling i didnt really understand what i was supposed to do to get good spin on it as before this update i could take my time and spin it up. Seems now you have to leave it very late in the run up to add the spin. Might just be me as i'm not very good at dbc 17 so far :) But loving it so far as i can see the depth thats there waiting to be unleashed! :) Thank you

Users who are viewing this thread