Afridi banned for 4 ODIs!

Adarsh

Panel of Selectors
Cricinfo said:
Shahid Afridi will miss Pakistan's first two World Cup matches after being handed a four-match ODI ban for brandishing his bat at a spectator, during the first ODI against South Africa, at Centurion Park. Pakistan only have two more full internationals before their opening match in the Caribbean against West Indies.
http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/rsavpak/content/current/story/279870.html

That is very harsh, in my opinion. He didn't even make contact with the spectator. A monetary punishment would have been fine I think, or maybe 1 ODI, but four!

Meh it's not gonna make too much of a difference, as expected he'll be available to play in their last group game in the World Cup and then in the next group stage and onwards.

He deserves it for being an idiot; You don't react to a crowd like that. Ever.

Why is it too harsh? He acted like a thug and there was intent to hit him in the face.

What he did was pretty stupid although 4 games is probably a bit harsh. Maybe they want to send a message to all the players.

evertonfan said:
Why is it too harsh? He acted like a thug and there was intent to hit him in the face.
Right...and you won't react if a 'fan' hurls abuse at you?
He didn't even touch him, nor say anything. 4 is too much. Maybe as vaughan said, just to send a message.

ZoraxDoom said:

Right, because Afridi is the only cricketer who gets abuse hurled at him isn't he? :rolleyes:

ZoraxDoom said:
He didn't even touch him, nor say anything. 4 is too much. Maybe as vaughan said, just to send a message.

Zorax I know you have stuck Afridi on a pedestal, but the fact is, no most people wouldn't respond as he did. Whilst it may not be fair, players have to restrain themselves as they are role models, and in the public eye. They are not just sportsmen, and as every action is scrutinised, they can not react as he did.

It could have been an 8 game ban, which would no doubt have involved him actually making contact, so therefore half that, a 4 game ban, seems reasonable. He is available for the super 8 so Pakistan don't really miss out.

You guys just want to argue at everything don't you? Especially EF...
All I said was I thought it was harsh. Why does that have to be contested? I'd figure If I were in his place, played a horrible shot and was mad at myself, I wouldn't need this dude insulting me. Again, I feel it's harsh. Why do you two need to argue everything? Seriously, I can't even visit this place now due to you two...

If you can't handle the heat then stay out of the kitchen. This is a forum for cricket debate; Debating is expected.

I feel he should have been fined as well for tarnishing the games reputation. You don't go around being a thug like that when you are paid to set a good example.

I thought my response to you was well thought out? Surely if your own logic is based on fact and sensible reasoning and not blind loyalty you have a reply of your own?

If you'd rather I can ignore all your posts, and you can post your opinion freely without anyone contesting it? :rolleyes:

Oi, Matt stop posting just before me :p

ZoraxDoom said:
You guys just want to argue at everything don't you? Especially EF...
All I said was I thought it was harsh. Why does that have to be contested? I'd figure If I were in his place, played a horrible shot and was mad at myself, I wouldn't need this dude insulting me. Again, I feel it's harsh. Why do you two need to argue everything? Seriously, I can't even visit this place now due to you two...
You cant argue with news team members. :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread