All-Time ODi XI

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
We had one of these for Tests, might as well make an ODi one. So, here's my team:

Matthew Hayden
Sachin Tendulkar
Sir Viv Richards (C)
Jacques Kallis
Kevin Pietersen
MS Dhoni (WK)
Andrew Flintoff
Shaun Pollock
Wasim Akram
Muttiah Muralitharan
Glenn McGrath

Team starts off with the 2 openers, with Matthew Hayden and Sachin Tendulkar. Hayden's in to set the pace early on, and an ODi average of 43 is incredibly impressive. I'd liked to have put him at number 2, but with Sachin's superior average there, he had to be #2. Sachin averages over 50 batting at number 2, with 36 hundreds, a phenomenal record, and I'd have been mad not to include him,

Then at first drop is one of the most dominating batsmen to ever play the game, Sir Vivian Richards. Richards has a record that easily matches that of a modern player, with a strike rate of 90 and an average of 47. Jacques Kallis then comes in at 4, with a fantastic batting record which sees him at number 8 when concerning all-time batting averages in ODi's. He also offers another very useful bowling option, with some useful fast-medium bowling.

Then at 5 is Kevin Pietersen, an average of over 100 in that position and the 3rd best ODi career record overall. He had to be picked. He is then followed by the keeper, MS Dhoni. I was tempted to pick Gilchrist, but feel he was more suited to opening, and Dhoni's got a fantastic record batting down the order, so he gets the place.

Then it's down to the all-rounder and bowlers, with Freddie Flintoff getting the all-rounder spot, averaging over 30 with the bat, and 24 with the ball, taking a wicket every 33.8 deliveries. Flintoff is followed by Shaun Pollock, a fantastic ODi bowler, in the Glenn McGrath mould, but with more pace early in his career. He finished with 393 wickets at 24, plus a handy batting record also. Then Wasim Akram comes in at 9, with a fantastic ODi bowling record taking 502 wickets at an average of 23.

He is then followed by the final 2, the easy spin option of the world record ODI bowler, Muttiah Muralitharan, and the fantastic Aussie paceman Glenn McGrath. Both averaging 22 and taking over 800 wickets between them.

I'm very happy with that side, and look forward to seeing your choices.

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
Looks more like a modern-XI rather than an All Time one with guys like Dhoni and KP making the team.

I'd have Pollock as a 12th man, and have a second spin bowler in there.

And how can you have an All time ODI XI without Bevan? Him over KP fo sho.

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
Bevan over KP? Don't think so. Bevan's average is ridiculously boosted by the sheer amount of not outs and the fact he played for his average. His strike rate was pretty woeful by modern standards as well. KP bat's at 4 in the most part, and has still got the 3rd highest career average in ODi cricket.

It may be a fairly modern team, but care to name some older generation players that are better than the likes of Pietersen, Kallis, Tendulkar, Hayden and McGrath?

Dhoni's the best ODi batsman down the order as well, got a cracking average, even if it's boosted by not outs.

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Sachin Tendulkar
Adam Gilchrist +(Gayle just misses out)
Viv Richards
Ricky Ponting *
Brian Lara
Michael Bevan
Andrew Flintoff
Wasim Akram 1
Saqlain Mushtaq
Chaminda Vaas 2
Glenn McGrath

Players that just miss out are Gayle, Ganguly, Anwar (too many good openers in ODIs), Klusener, Waqar, Murli, Pollock. Would like to include another spinner like Cricketman said and with Flintoff in the team I probably could but I like it like this.

Last edited:

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
Matthew Hayden
Sachin Tendulkar
Viv Richards
Aravinda De Silva
Micheal Bevan
Adam Gilchrist
Andrew Flintoff
Wasim Akram
Waqar Younis
Muttiah Mularitharan
Glenn McGrath

Actually - a few edits.

Adam Gilchrist +
Sachin Tendulkar
Viv Richards
Ricky Ponting
Brian Lara
Micheal Bevan
Andrew Flintoff
Wasim Akram
Waqar Younis
Mularitharan
Glenn McGrath

Basically, Dare's top order with some different bowlers. :p

Adam Gilchrist is one of the most explosive batsman to play the game, him opening with Sachin Tendulkar is a perfect mixture of aggression and genius.
Viv needs no explination.

It's pretty ludicrous to leave Ponting out. He has a phenomenal record and is one of the best bats of the modern game. He is with Lara in the mid order to just bolster the batting up, what a combination.

Bevan is the best finisher the game produced. Fantastic player.

Flintoff the allrounder, explosive batting and a tremendously good bowler.

The Wasim and Waqar combination with the ball, 917 wickets between them in the deadliest duo in history. They're backed up by Glenn McGrath, and Mulari with spin.

Last edited:

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
Sachin
Gilly
Lara
Viv
Inzy
De Silva
Klusener
Pollock
Wasim
Warne
Waqar

Gilly opening and keeping wicket. Sachin with him. Fairly obvious choice.

Lara slots into 3 cause he's a genius batsman, and for ODIs, when he gets going, wow.

Viv is an easy number 4, bowls and fields well too, while Inzy and Arvinda de Silva take 5 and 6. Mainly cause both were great finishers who could also bat through the innings. Not the greatest fielders though, that will hurt. De Silva and Viv add as part time bowlers too, I'd rather them in ODIs than Sachin.

Klusener is Klusener. A legend. One of the first few big-hitters and a fine seamer in ODIs, he is legend. Between him and Bevan for the 7th spot, but I've seen very little of Bevan, and Klusener bowls, so him.

Then the 4 bowlers. Wanted to get McGrath in, but I think these 4 are fine. Pollock, Wasim, Warne, all add batting to the team, and are ODI legends, as is Waqar.

So that sums it up really. Viv the skipper, or maybe Inzy. Waqar and Wasim to share the new ball, Pollock first change, Warne in the middle overs with Klusener and Pollock, with De Silva and Viv contributing if needed. Back to Waqar and Wasim in the death.
Batting, Gilly gives the blazing start, and Lara can blaze away a bit too if he gets going, with Sachin just playing his regular game. Viv walks in at 4 to dominate, with de Silva, Inzy, Klusener, and the lower order to see out the end of the innings.

Works for me. I may change this later though.

Players I wanted to add: Jayasuriya, Boucher, McGrath...

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
You know De Silva only averaged 34 in ODi's don't you? Only made 11 hundreds from over 300 games, Pietersen's already got 7 in 87 games, and a far superior average. Pietersen's strike rate is also higher. Not sure how you can justify picking De Silva tbh.

TruSachFan

Club Cricketer
I would probably replace Kallis with Ponting. As a captain, I detest him. As a player, I don't see the reason why he's not likable. BTW, there's too many right handed players in there. I might want a left hander in there.

Matthew Hayden
Sachin Tendulkar
Sir Viv Richards (C)
Ponting/ Lara
Kevin Pietersen
MS Dhoni (WK)/ Gilly
Andrew Flintoff
AA Donald
Wasim Akram
Muttiah Muralitharan
Glenn McGrath

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
You know De Silva only averaged 34 in ODi's don't you? Only made 11 hundreds from over 300 games, Pietersen's already got 7 in 87 games, and a far superior average. Pietersen's strike rate is also higher. Not sure how you can justify picking De Silva tbh.

For me its too early to include a guy who only played 87 ODIs in the worlds All Time XI. He has to get to over 150 at least for me to include him.

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
a) Played in a different era, when 220 was a good score and not 320
b) Played for what was one of the weakest sides in the world when he started
c) Often rescued the side more. He didn't really 'cash in' on easy opportunities, but always played better under pressure.

I've seen tons of him playing (Courtesy 'Cricket Classics' on Ten Sports), and he's an excellent finisher and great under pressure. Plus, he was pure class as a batsman.

And besides, KP's part time bowling isn't so good!

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
Klusener is Klusener. A legend. One of the first few big-hitters and a fine seamer in ODIs, he is legend. Between him and Bevan for the 7th spot, but I've seen very little of Bevan, and Klusener bowls, so him.

Really wanted to include him in my XI, was really close between him and Flintoff but Flintoffs bowling won me over.

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
Oh, some new names to add to the pot of potential players: Javed Miandad, Steve Waugh, and Jonty Rhodes.

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
Actually - a few edits.

Adam Gilchrist +
Sachin Tendulkar
Viv Richards
Ricky Ponting
Brian Lara
Micheal Bevan
Andrew Flintoff
Wasim Akram