Sir Vivian Richards (C)
Andrew Symonds
MS Dhoni (wk)
Andrew Flintoff
Shaun Pollock
Wasim Akram
Saqlain Mushtaq
Waqar Younis

This would be the ODI team I'd want representing me. Was a mission picking this but couldn't pick Pollock & McGrath in the same side, so I picked Waqar Younis as an out and out quick. Pietersen missed out at the expense of Ponting & Symonds and I think Gilly is overrated as a batsman. Symonds is massively underrated as a ODI batsman but I think Pietersen will eventually overtake him. I didn't like the selection of Flintoff, because his batting isn't very strong and his bowling isn't good enough to make an alltime XI. Flintoff, Pollock & Wasim are basically 3 bowling allrounders.

Overall, it could be better but meh, it's only ODI's.

Probably would have gone with Garner over Waqar, but good XI and welcome back.

1.A.Gilchrist(LB)(WK)
2.S.Tendulkar(RB)
3.R.Ponting(RB)(C)
4.B.Lara(LB)
5.V.Richards(RB)
6.Inzamam-ul-Haq(RB)
7.J.Kallis(RFM)(5)
8.W.Akram(LF)(1)
9.M.Muralitharan(RS)(4)
10.C.Walsh(RF)(3)
11.G.McGrath(RFM)(2)

This is my All Time ODI XI.Mixture of left,right,fast,spin and fast-medium batsmen and bowlers.

Kallis? I think not. Flintoff? Waqar?

Lol, Flintoff. Doesn't deserve to be there. Lance Klusner is a far safer bet. Kallis most certainly deserves to be there but he's batting way too low in that XI.

Yeah I will replace Kallis with Klusener because of his aggression while batting lower the order.

1.A.Gilchrist(LB)(WK)
2.S.Tendulkar(RB)
3.R.Ponting(RB)(C)
4.B.Lara(LB)
5.V.Richards(RB)
6.Inzamam-ul-Haq(RB)
7.L.Klsener(RB,RFM)(5)
8.W.Akram(LF)(1)
9.M.Muralitharan(RS)(4)
10.C.Walsh(RF)(3)
11.G.McGrath(RFM)(2)

Yeah I will replace Kallis with Klusener because of his aggression while batting lower the order.

1.A.Gilchrist(LB)(WK)
2.S.Tendulkar(RB)
3.R.Ponting(RB)(C)
4.B.Lara(LB)
5.V.Richards(RB)
6.Inzamam-ul-Haq(RB)
7.L.Klsener(RB,RFM)(5)
8.W.Akram(LF)(1)
9.M.Muralitharan(RS)(4)
10.C.Walsh(RF)(3)
11.G.McGrath(RFM)(2)

I'm not sure I like the look of that side. The batting lineup looks good but the bowling looks like a mess. Firstly, three bunnies in McGrath, Murali & Walsh. I don't think they average 20 combined between the three of them. I know its a great batting lineup but there is always a chance they could fail...

Secondly, Walsh? I never thought he was that great in ODI's and I thought his strike rate was pretty poor (around the 30 mark?). What about someone like Khan or Hadlee? Both great bowlers and both can handle the stick. At least you would only have two bunnies.

Let's not forget Michael Bevan guys. Best ODI middle order batsman ever.

I'm not sure I like the look of that side. The batting lineup looks good but the bowling looks like a mess. Firstly, three bunnies in McGrath, Murali & Walsh. I don't think they average 20 combined between the three of them. I know its a great batting lineup but there is always a chance they could fail...
You pick batsmen to bat and bowlers to bowl. Whether a bowler can bat hold a stick or not is irrelevant because if your top 7 batsman can't get it done then what makes you think your bowlers can do the job?

Hmmm.... Not sure if I posted a team here before, but let me take a punt, solely for whatever ODI cricket I have seen so far (and the highlights package that I've seen of previous cricketers)

Sachin Tendulkar
Adam Gilchrist (wk)
Brian Lara
Ricky Ponting
Kevin Pietersen
Micheal Bevan
Andrew Flintoff
Wasim Akram
Shane Warne (captain)
Muttaiah Muralitharan
Allan Donald

Reserves: Glenn McGrath, Yuvraj Singh, Kumar Sangakkara, Lance Klusener

All time One day X1

Here is my choice of All time One day X1.

1. Sanath Jayasurya
2. Sachin Tendulkar
3. Sir Vivian Richards
4. Aravinda De Silva
5. Brian Lara
6. Adam Gilchrist
7. Imran Khan (Captain)
8. WasimAkram
9. Muttiah Muralitharan/Shane Warne
10. Waqar Younus
11. Glen McGraw

I am sorry to have left out some competent and eligible ones like:

Batting : Matthew Hayden, Saeed Anwar, Kevin Peterson, Michael Bevan, Ricky Ponting.

Bowling :Joel Garner, Curtly Ambrose.

No offense to fans of the above who are also superstars by all means.

It is impossible to imagine a One day X1 without Sanath Jayasurya. He redefined opening batting with his belligerent and cavalier approach. He is still alive and kicking. Just look at his One day record : 432 One dayers (Runs : 13151, HS : 189, SR : 91.13, 28 hundreds and 67fiftes).

Sanath is more than a useful bowler having taken 313 wickets which is an enviable record. He also strikes when it matters most.

Aravinda De Silva was a master batsman. We all saw and know what he was capable of.

He almost single handedly won Sri lanka the 1996 World cup with two masterpiece innings - one in the semi final and other in the final against Australia.

He is very compact in defense and could destroy (A la Viv style) any attack with consummate ease.

Imran khan is one of the best all rounders of all time and surely the best in his era when other superstar all rounders existed like Sir Ian Botham, Kapil Dev, Sir Richard Hadlee all of whom were capable as well.

However he had two additional qualities one of those being an Outstanding Captain and the other a good Communicator with media and not to forget his good looks (automatic heart throb for any female fan) and thus a good crowd puller as well(LOL!).

So he has edged out his contemporaries for this position while Freddie who is very talented is however no match of Imran (no offense to Freddie fan).

It is impossible to exclude Shane Warne as he was deadly on any wicket.

Along With Muttiah Muralitharan was capable enough to finish any batting line up in a short period without the need of much support from pacers. This position is an OR for me. Murali/Shane Warne.

Users who are viewing this thread