All-Time ODi XI

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
Again, his record is poor cause he has faced a lot of the best bowlers of the last 2 decades, and has still come off on top. He'd be a lot better if he played only on flat pitches consistently facing the likes of Powell, Sami, Nehra, etc.

So have Gilly and Ganguly yet their averages are much more respectable. He shouldn't be contesting for that spot.

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
If he was really that good, he'd have a brilliant record in the last 5 years wouldn't he? If the conditions for ODi players are so easy, and the bowling line-ups are appearently so awful nowadays. Yet, in these far easier conditions, he still only averages 35 and that's with all games included. Take out the matches against Minnow's, and he averages 32. In the same period, Matthew Hayden averages 46. Then if you take his Minnow statistics out he still averages 46, with only 2 less hundreds in 33 less games. Jayasuriya really isn't that good.

manee

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
If he was really that good, he'd have a brilliant record in the last 5 years wouldn't he? If the conditions for ODi players are so easy, and the bowling line-ups are appearently so awful nowadays. Yet, in these far easier conditions, he still only averages 35 and that's with all games included. Take out the matches against Minnow's, and he averages 32. In the same period, Matthew Hayden averages 46. Then if you take his Minnow statistics out he still averages 46, with only 2 less hundreds in 33 less games. Jayasuriya really isn't that good.

You seem to scoff on the fact that conditions have become far easier for batsmen over the years, since the turn of the millenium. However, this is an unarguable fact merely from watching cricket and taking the statistics, people average higher in this decade then the last, or the one before, etc. If you want the statistics, just ask, but I'm sure they're not necessary.

Citing Jayasuriya's poor form over the last five years is invalid to say the least. He is 39 years old, he is well past his prime and has been so for the past few years, any man would be, at his age.

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
I wasn't scoffing at the fact that conditions have got easier, as I know they have, but if Jayasuriya was as good a player as Zorax is making him out to be, then you'd have thought he'd have better figures than he actually does. Hayden's not far off Jayasuriya's age, so that argument doesn't hold a great deal of use. Haydens' been off form recently as much as Sanath has, yet Hayden's record is still far better. Jayasuriya's a good player, has certainly had a positive impact on the game, but there are far better openers than him in ODi cricket, Hayden being one of them.

manee

Chairman of Selectors
I wasn't scoffing at the fact that conditions have got easier, as I know they have, but if Jayasuriya was as good a player as Zorax is making him out to be, then you'd have thought he'd have better figures than he actually does. Hayden's not far off Jayasuriya's age, so that argument doesn't hold a great deal of use. Haydens' been off form recently as much as Sanath has, yet Hayden's record is still far better. Jayasuriya's a good player, has certainly had a positive impact on the game, but there are far better openers than him in ODi cricket, Hayden being one of them.

37 and 39 is a pretty considerable difference to me, especially considering Hayden had an average 2008 (yes, I know he had a very strong 2007).

Michaelf7777777

Club Cricketer
My AT ODI XI (Played ODI's)

1. Adam Gilchrist (+)
2. Sachin Tendulkar
3. Ricky Ponting
4. Viv Richards
5. Michael Bevan
6. Steve Waugh (*)
7. Garry Sobers
8. Wasim Akram
9. Shane Warne
10. Joel Garner
11. Glen McGrath

metallics2006

International Coach
Gordon Greenidge
Desmond Haynes
Viv Richards
Sachin Tendulkar
Brian Lara
Adam Gilchrist (Wk)
Imran Khan (3)
Shane Warne (4) (C)
Wasim Akram (1)
Muthiah Muralitharan (5)
Curtly Ambrose (2)

Looking forward to people's comments.

ChefMan21

Club Cricketer
Gordon Greenidge
Desmond Haynes
Viv Richards
Sachin Tendulkar
Brian Lara
Adam Gilchrist (Wk)
Imran Khan (3)
Shane Warne (4) (C)
Wasim Akram (1)
Muthiah Muralitharan (5)
Curtly Ambrose (2)

Looking forward to people's comments.

Not a bad looking side but...

Seems to be too much in the bowling department. I don't have a problem with 5 bowlers and 6 batsman but I would have picked a batting allrounder rather than a bowling allrounder instead. With that much class in the bowling stocks not sure you would need your allrounder as a bowling allrounder. Also not sure that 2 spinners is a good option especially if there is no turn...

Finally, I'd move Akram ahead of Warne in the batting lineup.

What about someone like Kallis or Cairns instead of Khan? Not even close to the same class as Khan in the bowling stakes but much better batsman. Mind you it would be tough to cut Khan...

metallics2006

International Coach
Seems to be too much in the bowling department. I don't have a problem with 5 bowlers and 6 batsman but I would have picked a batting allrounder rather than a bowling allrounder instead. With that much class in the bowling stocks not sure you would need your allrounder as a bowling allrounder. Also not sure that 2 spinners is a good option especially if there is no turn...

I did not want to give part-time bowlers(batting-allrounders) any place in an all-time ODI side. Having five legendary bowlers means the batsmen can't score easy runs for 50 overs. That was my reason.

What about someone like Kallis or Cairns instead of Khan? Not even close to the same class as Khan in the bowling stakes but much better batsman. Mind you it would be tough to cut Khan...

Both the players that you mentioned are great ODI players. But Imran Khan had really hit his peak in his final playing years and averaged 50 odd with the bat and under 20 with the ball. So I have always seen him as the perfect allrounder who can both bat and bowl with world-class skills. I picked Khan pretty much as a genuine No. 7 batsman.

Also not sure that 2 spinners is a good option especially if there is no turn...

Agreed. But I always thought these two have the skills to handle tough bowling conditions. One is a finger spinner and one is a wrist spinner. I wanted that variety.

metallics2006 added 0 Minutes and 56 Seconds later...

where is saurav ganguly????
West Bengal. Kolkata, to be precise.:p

vigneshraj

School Cricketer
best odi team would be:-

sachin
saurav
lara
viv richards
steve waugh
andy flower
adam gilchrist(cant open as sachin and saurav are world's best openers)
daniel vettori or muralidharan
allan donald
curtly ambrose
mcgrath

ChefMan21

Club Cricketer
I did not want to give part-time bowlers(batting-allrounders) any place in an all-time ODI side. Having five legendary bowlers means the batsmen can't score easy runs for 50 overs. That was my reason.

Both the players that you mentioned are great ODI players. But Imran Khan had really hit his peak in his final playing years and averaged 50 odd with the bat and under 20 with the ball. So I have always seen him as the perfect allrounder who can both bat and bowl with world-class skills. I picked Khan pretty much as a genuine No. 7 batsman.

Agreed. But I always thought these two have the skills to handle tough bowling conditions. One is a finger spinner and one is a wrist spinner. I wanted that variety.

metallics2006 added 0 Minutes and 56 Seconds later...

West Bengal. Kolkata, to be precise.:p

I pretty much thought you might say most of that! LOL! As I said it's a good side with no one that is not up to being in an alltime xi.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
I think it's just having Tendulkar at #4 that is a bit 'Test like'. Nothing wrong with the players picked at all. Great side.

Here's today's selection from me:

1. Desmond Haynes
2. Sachin Tendulkar
3. Zaheer Abbas
4. Viv Richards (c)
5. Michael Bevan/Brian Lara
6. M.S. Dhoni (vc)
7. Andrew Flintoff
8. Sir Richard Hadlee
9. Joel Garner
10. Muttiah Muralitharan
11. Glenn McGrath

*I rate Lara slightly above Bevan, but he would be out of place at #5. Either Lara or Bevan would be great though.
*Gilchrist or Dhoni was really close, but I went Dhoni because I already had two good openers.
*It was Flintoff or Kapil Dev for the true all-rounder spot at #7. Dev wasn't quite the batsman Flintoff can be, so I went for Freddie. Botham and Imran both were better at Test cricket than ODIs.
*Only one spinner, but Sachin and Viv can be the 6th and 7th bowlers if required. Otherwise, I'd think long and hard about Saqlain Mushtaq. He was a great offie in the late 90s.

Users who are viewing this thread